Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I like it too but I bet Rhody has a sour taste in it's mouth for the MWC. Nevada scheduled a series and bailed on going to Kingston.
Yeah, but time wounds all heels, as John Lennon said. Pitt did the same thing to Bona in the late 90s when we won out there. They sent us a check to avoid the return trip to Olean. Meh. Moving on. Rhody will be fine. This series seems like a home run for both leagues.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm not so sure about a home run, I doubt very many of the possible matchups will have any material effect on anyone's tournament resume. Maybe more of a double down the line...

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I'm not so sure about a home run, I doubt very many of the possible matchups will have any material effect on anyone's tournament resume. Maybe more of a double down the line...
Up yours, res!

If this setup simply adds a solid top 30-50 game for our should-be top 2-3 teams each year, then I’d absolutely consider it a home run—especially given the difficulty most of our schools have getting truly quality H/H series.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Smart move. The A10/MWC would be a logical and entertaining match for a “challenge”. Long overdue.
Just like the ACC games used to buy out the Barclay Center? The A10 will screw it up.
I knew this was coming. I was going to attempt recreating your vernacular earlier today, but aggrieved-for-no-reason, Midwestern, beyond-middle-aged guy was beyond my ability to emulate.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I knew this was coming. I was going to attempt recreating your vernacular earlier today, but aggrieved-for-no-reason, Midwestern, beyond-middle-aged guy was beyond my ability to emulate.
You are so clever. Fortunately, you don’t really know me. If you did you would you would realized that I am not aggrieved. I have no resentment against the system. I am also not beyond middle aged. I am situated firmly in the middle of being middle aged.

I am sorry that I don’t have a lot of faith in the conference management. I am neutral on a MWC challenge, but the MWC as a whole is marginally better from a RPI standpoint than the A10. What does it actually do for either league? Instead of the H&H with William & Mary, St. Joe’s can fly commercial to Fresno. I guess I see why you are so excited by this.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Shots fired!

I don’t know, fellas... what do we want (assuming we do a “challenge” like this)? It isn’t about who the mid-pack teams play—let alone the bottom. It’s about the two leagues getting together to try adding an extra couple Q1 type games.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Did like the initial post and like the tournaments for our shots at decent RPI match-ups. Nov 23 we'll play either Nevada or Tulsa from the AAC in Las Vegas. Let's see how this deal plays out. Especially since RPI was good in the past, but not so much now. Any word on the location? Bet they want Las Vegas. People liked Pittsburgh for the A10? It will be interesting to see the teams and where they will be played.

So what was the story, did we flat out not put anything in the Barclay ACC deal for cash if they never honor the games or we just got hosed. There better be something in this deal if we play out west and nothing is played here in the east.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
With the P5 conferences seemingly headed towards 20 game intra conference play, scheduling games against other then the Podunk Valley States is going to get more difficult. I would like to see the A-10 form an alliance with the AAC and another conference (MWC) is fine for scheduling purposes. Play one game against a team in each of the two conferences at home, and one against each conference on the road. That's four ooc games for each of the teams in the three the conferences every year. JP can be in charge of scheduling.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Duke does not have one true road game OOC this year. They have only neutral games.

Talking about taking your team on the road to make money. Wofford College will play at Standford, at Oklahoma, at South Carolina and at Kansas. That will probably fund all their olympic sports for the year.

They also get UNC at home, in a return game, after beating them last year in Chapel Hill!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Yeah, but time wounds all heels, as John Lennon said. Pitt did the same thing to Bona in the late 90s when we won out there. They sent us a check to avoid the return trip to Olean. Meh. Moving on. Rhody will be fine. This series seems like a home run for both leagues.
Actually was that Groucho Marx in Go West 12/6/1940
John Lennon getting a green card 7/26/1976
Or Nick Lowe releasing a song of the same name 3/15/1983?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25000933/lsu-tigers-wade-discussed-improper-benefits-recruit-transcript-says

So Zion Williams’ father allegedly asks for “money in his pocket” and housing for his family. This is information is provided to a Kansas assistant who essentially says that they will need to make arrangements for ten months. Williams then commits to Duke so does the father still have the same demands? I guess SC is a lot closer to Durham than Lawrence Kansas so the family can get to games easily and he doesn’t need the financial help?

WTF was Will thinking?

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25000933/lsu-tigers-wade-discussed-improper-benefits-recruit-transcript-says

So Zion Williams’ father allegedly asks for “money in his pocket” and housing for his family. This is information is provided to a Kansas assistant who essentially says that they will need to make arrangements for ten months. Williams then commits to Duke so does the father still have the same demands? I guess SC is a lot closer to Durham than Lawrence Kansas so the family can get to games easily and he doesn’t need the financial help?

WTF was Will thinking?
This has been the elephant in the room for years. Everyone knows many, many schools cheat. Someone in the profession with whom I am close asserted that only one P5 staff that he knows of DOESN'T grease the wheels by paying players, tampering, etc.

The issue is this: if these top players are clearly getting offers of cash/benefits from Louisville, USC, Texas, LSU, etc., then why on earth would they ever choose a purportedly clean power program like Duke? The answer is that most wouldn't. Did Zion Williamson poo-poo $200K out of the goodness of his heart? Did his 10-month, 12-credit academic load from Duke sway him that much? Most, if not all, of them are doing it to one degree or another--including the blue bloods who claim their reputations precede them enough to not need cheating.

Don't get me started on the tampering stuff, either.

*Cough* Travis Ford *Cough* St. Louis native Courtney Stockard *Cough* Summertime grad transfer tampering *Cough*

61 - 80 of 378 Posts