Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

921 - 940 of 944 Posts

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
If you want to continue enjoying the nuts and bolts sport of basketball, then keep it that way. The modern NBA product is a complete disgrace. It’s extraordinarily gifted players mashed into a glorified AAU style.
I can remember when I was a kid hearing my dad say that Dr J and other ABA players would never be able to play in the NBA due to their poor defense. NBA teams averaged over 110 points per game before I was born and there was no three point line. I guess back in the early 70s he was also complaining about the "modern" NBA.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,681 Posts
I can remember when I was a kid hearing my dad say that Dr J and other ABA players would never be able to play in the NBA due to their poor defense. NBA teams averaged over 110 points per game before I was born and there was no three point line. I guess back in the early 70s he was also complaining about the "modern" NBA.
Do you watch these current games? I used to watch the NBA a lot in the 90s, which was a really physical era that required actual sets to generate offense; this contemporary shit is, again, open gym AAU ball. Oh, and the interior/weak side defense is LAUGHABLE.

GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU MEDDLING KIDS!

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
Do you watch these current games? I used to watch the NBA a lot in the 90s, which was a really physical era that required actual sets to generate offense; this contemporary shit is, again, open gym AAU ball. Oh, and the interior/weak side defense is LAUGHABLE.

GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU MEDDLING KIDS!
I watch pretty much any basketball that is on TV. I tend to turn NBA games on for the last 5 minutes though. I do not have any skin in the game because I do not have a big rooting interest. I used to follow the Heat and catch games when I lived in South Florida. DWade was a young player back then before Shaq came. College basketball has changed too. The physicality of the game and the traditional center days are gone.

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
Here is another. Schmidt is making in-roads on a recruit from France. He is putting the press on Macron.

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
Reactions: Bill Russell

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
How are you with Cal and Camby statues? That time was great in Umass basketball but both were sanctioned by the NCAA. Well, UMass was sanctioned.
There are statues going up somewhere instead of coming down? I forgot they could do that...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
How are you with Cal and Camby statues? That time was great in Umass basketball but both were sanctioned by the NCAA. Well, UMass was sanctioned.
At this point, we're all good with it (at least that's the general feeling on UMass Twitter and the UMassHoops forum). Camby was a kid who made a dumb decision, and has paid it back in full. Cal has done nothing but speak highly of his time at UMass, and UMass in general since then.

There's certainly some media personalities that say it's a bad move, but they are kindly being told "EYOA" by the fans.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,681 Posts
There are statues going up somewhere instead of coming down? I forgot they could do that...
In fairness, most of the statues coming down depict soldiers who rebelled against the United States and killed many of its citizens. Cal is just a greasy recruiter.

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
At this point, we're all good with it (at least that's the general feeling on UMass Twitter and the UMassHoops forum). Camby was a kid who made a dumb decision, and has paid it back in full. Cal has done nothing but speak highly of his time at UMass, and UMass in general since then.

There's certainly some media personalities that say it's a bad move, but they are kindly being told "EYOA" by the fans.
I was interested in your opinion. Thanks. I saw Camby play a game in Blacksburg against Va Tech. UMass was #1 at the time. Camby was something else. He was a big draw and a big time player. Well deserved in my eyes. Cal probably is too but he gets on my nerves. Ha!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
In fairness, most of the statues coming down depict soldiers who rebelled against the United States and killed many of its citizens. Cal is just a greasy recruiter.
Most but not all. Some had other issues. Don't want to get too far off topic, but when I heard about new statues, my first thought was "that really did seem rare in the last few years".

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
Most but not all. Some had other issues. Don't want to get too far off topic, but when I heard about new statues, my first thought was "that really did seem rare in the last few years".
I am curious of examples of statues that are in the “not all” category. I find all of this interesting. I read some awful reader comments about a local commentary writer who was recently awarded the Pulitzer Prize. He writes about subjects such as this and civil rights issues. He is the polar opposite of someone like Douglas Freeman and other writers for the newspaper who landed on the side of massive resistance and propagated the lost cause.

Reactions: Bill Russell

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I am curious of examples of statues that are in the “not all” category. I find all of this interesting. I read some awful reader comments about a local commentary writer who was recently awarded the Pulitzer Prize. He writes about subjects such as this and civil writes issues. He is the polar opposite of someone like Douglas Freeman and other writers for the newspaper who landed on the side of massive resistance and propagated the lost cause.
I don't believe Christopher Columbus or Edward Colston fought in the Civil War...
Which is why I said other issues.

We are struggling with our own name changes about Freeman & Ryland not statues but still changes based on judging the importance of, to put it politely, "character flaws".

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
I don't believe Christopher Columbus or Edward Colston fought in the Civil War...
Which is why I said other issues.

We are struggling with our own name changes about Freeman & Ryland not statues but still changes based on judging the importance of to put it politely "character flaws".
Colston wore a powdered wig and just for that should be warehoused. Oh, yeah that slave trade thing.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I am curious of examples of statues that are in the “not all” category. I find all of this interesting. I read some awful reader comments about a local commentary writer who was recently awarded the Pulitzer Prize. He writes about subjects such as this and civil rights issues. He is the polar opposite of someone like Douglas Freeman and other writers for the newspaper who landed on the side of massive resistance and propagated the lost cause.
I did want to clarify my "not all" comment. That was not meant to be the typical internet response of "not all" are bad. It was simply a "not all" are bad for the same reason.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,681 Posts
I did want to clarify my "not all" comment. That was not meant to be the typical internet response of "not all" are bad. It was simply a "not all" are bad for the same reason.
Yeah. It seems adding plaques that provide context is superior to total removal. Some unsavory deeds don’t eliminate all other acts of historical significance.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Yeah. It seems adding plaques that provide context is superior to total removal. Some unsavory deeds don’t eliminate all other acts of historical significance.
What I find interesting is the current struggle to weight people's actions in total. When has there been enough good to out weight the bad? When has there been enough bad to out weight the good?
What actually defines each person? When do you commemorate or condemn a person? Or should you ever? or only actions?

921 - 940 of 944 Posts