Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
941 - 960 of 984 Posts

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
What I find interesting is the current struggle to weight people's actions in total. When has there been enough good to out weight the bad? When has there been enough bad to out weight the good?
What actually defines each person? When do you commemorate or condemn a person? Or should you ever? or only actions?
You have more questions than the police!

That is what my old buddy Ben Hamlin would say if I asked him a question in the sports office. He would then put his hands on the wall and spread his legs like he was being frisked.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What I find interesting is the current struggle to weight people's actions in total. When has there been enough good to out weight the bad? When has there been enough bad to out weight the good?
What actually defines each person? When do you commemorate or condemn a person? Or should you ever? or only actions?
Jack Handey would be proud

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
RIP, Jim Phelan. The long term coach at Mount St. Mary's died at age 92. A certain college president named Wickenheiser tried to run him off once and lost the battle. Unfortunately, that meant the said Wickenheiser ended up at a certain A10 school with disastrous consequences. I never blamed Phelan, by all accounts a wonderful man.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/16/jim-phelan-appreciation/
(Probably requires subscription)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
RIP, Jim Phelan. The long term coach at Mount St. Mary's died at age 92. A certain college president named Wickenheiser tried to run him off once and lost the battle. Unfortunately, that meant the said Wickenheiser ended up at a certain A10 school with disastrous consequences. I never blamed Phelan, by all accounts a wonderful man.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/16/jim-phelan-appreciation/
(Probably requires subscription)
Right-click, open incognito tab if you're using Chrome.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #946 ·
Maybe the Richies can use some of their endowment dollars to buy some kids from the Commies.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,729 Posts
If they get paid, does tuition/room/board become taxable?
That’s the thing. Those who seemingly blindly rage about this issue seem to be missing the bigger picture relating to most of college sports. Again and again, major decisions are being made based upon maybe 10-20 D1 programs out of 350+ that truly operate in the black.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,729 Posts
Not to mention the number of sports that will get cut as a result
Yep. Fewer opportunities in non-revenue sports is a guarantee. Some schools will drop out of D1 altogether. Scholarship opportunities will diminish over time. This is a bad, bad, baaaaaaad idea.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #952 ·
I think scholarship $ used for tuition/books/etc. are not taxed by the IRS.
Room and board are taxable.
So, assumedly the NIL money would also be taxable.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
That was my take, too, ace. None of us fans like where this is headed for some of his positions are inevitable under the circumstances.

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Jeff Bezos is about the shoot himself into space!

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
Here’s where I put my Ebenezer Scrooge hat on again, but…

Leave that to NASA, ass blood, and, if you want to burn through cash, how about starting with education, health care, and the Bonnies?
Because of Bezos ten years from now people won't have to take two connecting flights and a bus ride to play at the Reilly Center.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,729 Posts
Because of Bezos ten years from now people won't have to take two connecting flights and a bus ride to play at the Reilly Center.
Hey, bruh… that’s on VCU. I’ve never heard of any opponent flying into Erie f’ing Pennsylvania!

941 - 960 of 984 Posts