Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
961 - 980 of 984 Posts

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Here’s where I put my Ebenezer Scrooge hat on again, but…

Leave that to NASA, ass blood, and, if you want to burn through cash, how about starting with education, health care, and the Bonnies?
Bezos has certainly been criticized for his Blue Origins space company. But, he does his part.

And, he gave $200 million in “Courage & Civilty” awards yesterday.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They got early projections that the B12 contract with ESPN wasn't going to be that good, and decided to move more money. It's the most logical explanation.

If/when they leave, does it result in the B12 bringing in more teams or the B12 imploding? If they bring in more teams, the most likely candidates are BYU out west, and then AAC teams like Cinici, Memphis, Houston, UCF, and USF. If they go all crazy and get back to 12 (say with Cinci, Memphis, Houston, and UCF) what do you think Temple would end up doing? That football conference would be meh at best, and basketball would be pretty bad, having lost UCONN, Cinci, Memphis, and Houston in short order.

Gotta love speculating about the doom of everyone.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I'll speculate. Perhaps the Big Ten goes to 16 and picks up Kansas and Oklahoma St. Kansas is pretty rotten at football, but it would be a big pickup for basketball. Does the ACC go to 16? West Virginia is likely the only geographic fit if that matters, but are they an academic fit? The SEC will be at 16 with the additions of Texas and Oklahoma. The Pac 12 could look to grow to 16 as well, but none of the other Big 12 schools seem to make any sense. So, perhaps the Big 12 raids the AAC and goes after Cincy, Memphis, Houston, SMU and Tulsa to get back to 12. Considering football, maybe the A-10 is safe. Then, does the AAC target MAC schools?

Money, money, money, money! ....Money!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
WVU won't be heading to the ACC - if anything the ACC would try to grab Cincy before them.

AAC backfill candidates would likely be Marshall, ODU, UAB, Buffalo, and maybe App State.

Which would still leave Temple and Wichita wanting out, IMO.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'll speculate. Perhaps the Big Ten goes to 16 and picks up Kansas and Oklahoma St. Kansas is pretty rotten at football, but it would be a big pickup for basketball. Does the ACC go to 16? West Virginia is likely the only geographic fit if that matters, but are they an academic fit? The SEC will be at 16 with the additions of Texas and Oklahoma. The Pac 12 could look to grow to 16 as well, but none of the other Big 12 schools seem to make any sense. So, perhaps the Big 12 raids the AAC and goes after Cincy, Memphis, Houston, SMU and Tulsa to get back to 12. Considering football, maybe the A-10 is safe. Then, does the AAC target MAC schools?

Money, money, money, money! ....Money!
if the B10 expands it will look at schools that are members of the Association of American Universities and Colleges. This eliminates the Oklahoma and honestly most of the SEC schools. They also have this contiguous standard so that if the state of a prospective member isn‘t contiguous to the state of an existing member the prospective member is fucked. You know what I mean.

If the B10 expands west it’s Iowa State and Kansas.

When I was a young man (like SJ Hawk) I worked for a company that was run by a Rhodes Scholar. He always said “rules are made by fools”. So what if Notre Dame, not a member of the Association of America Universities and Colleges wants to join the B10? What if the B10 poaches Virginia and North Carolina? What if the B10 says screw the rules and goes after GA Tech and the huge Atlanta cable TV market? I see the Big 12 and ACC being the losers in a conference re-alignment

·
Piker
10,202 Posts
I would be surprised if I was anywhere near the youngest poster here at this point. Have we considered that I'm not young, but that the rest of you are old?
I am at the point now where I want to be a little older so I can buy a lake/beach property so I can lay in the sun and go fishing every day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
if the B10 expands it will look at schools that are members of the Association of American Universities and Colleges. This eliminates the Oklahoma and honestly most of the SEC schools. They also have this contiguous standard so that if the state of a prospective member isn‘t contiguous to the state of an existing member the prospective member is fucked. You know what I mean.

If the B10 expands west it’s Iowa State and Kansas.

When I was a young man (like SJ Hawk) I worked for a company that was run by a Rhodes Scholar. He always said “rules are made by fools”. So what if Notre Dame, not a member of the Association of America Universities and Colleges wants to join the B10? What if the B10 poaches Virginia and North Carolina? What if the B10 says screw the rules and goes after GA Tech and the huge Atlanta cable TV market? I see the Big 12 and ACC being the losers in a conference re-alignment
I have a cousin who was an administrator at Georgia Tech during the last round of B10 expansion. UNC, UVA and GT were all on the B10’s short list but none were interested in leaving the ACC at the time. GT is an AAU member.

The B10’s current footprint consists almost exclusively of low population growth states. If they expand again it will be to add high-population / high-growth states. GA, VA and NC were and remain targets because they each have many B10 alumni and transplants from the current B10 footprint In addition to being high-growth states. Metro Atlanta has either the largest or second largest concentration of B10 alumni among metro areas outside of the current B10 footprint.

Kansas can plead with the B10 but I very much doubt they get an invitation. They’re just not valuable enough, and even if they were, there is no obvious willing and acceptable candidate to pair them with.

if the AAC gets raided hard enough I think Temple will give some thought to returning to the A10. I’m not sure that they will return but I’m confident they’ll consider it.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,729 Posts
I have a cousin who was an administrator at Georgia Tech during the last round of B10 expansion. UNC, UVA and GT were all on the B10’s short list but none were interested in leaving the ACC at the time. GT is an AAU member.

The B10’s current footprint consists almost exclusively of low population growth states. If they expand again it will be to add high-population / high-growth states. GA, VA and NC were and remain targets because they each have many B10 alumni and transplants from the current B10 footprint In addition to being high-growth states. Metro Atlanta has either the largest or second largest concentration of B10 alumni among metro areas outside of the current B10 footprint.

Kansas can plead with the B10 but I very much doubt they get an invitation. They’re just not valuable enough, and even if they were, there is no obvious willing and acceptable candidate to pair them with.

if the AAC gets raided hard enough I think Temple will give some thought to returning to the A10. I’m not sure that they will return but I’m confident they’ll consider it.
So… yeah… it’s still all about money.

With respect to Temple, I’m tempted to let them squirm in the puddles of P5 (P4?) afterbirth—assuming nobody departs the A10. Sleep in the AAC’s recklessly constructed, bastardized bed of misfit, leftover toys.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So… yeah… it’s still all about money.

With respect to Temple, I’m tempted to let them squirm in the puddles of P5 (P4?) afterbirth—assuming nobody departs the A10. Sleep in the AAC’s recklessly constructed, bastardized bed of misfit, leftover toys.
Sure, but that’s not how university presidents think and there was no ill will when Temple left. If Temple calls the answer will be a quick yes. I’ve been watching this conference since the E8 days. It’s every bit a similar collection of aspirational rejects that the AAC is but with a basketball focus and more rational geography.

961 - 980 of 984 Posts