Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The big difference here is that NCCU admitted they did something wrong by self-reporting. To my knowledge, UNC never self-reported and the NCAA is not in the business of determining whether classes at one of their member institutions are valid or not.

They are however in the business of determining if classes at high schools and junior colleges are valid, so there is some double-standard there.

If NCCU does not self-report, nobody ever finds out about this. In essence, the message sent here by the NCAA is that it does not pay to self-report.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
What ever this new algorithm is for NET, it hasn't kept Buffalo from climbing to #10 .
And that doesn't even include its win at Syracuse last night.
Sigh.That's because conference effect hasn't kicked in yet.

(BTW, the old RPI formula would have Buffalo as number 5 right now).

But this is a good time for a Conference Effect lesson.

These four teams are undefeated:
Nevada: NC SOS 31 (RPI 4, NET 12)

Buffalo: NC SOS 41 (RPI 5, NET 10)

Michigan: NC SOS 94 (RPI 6, NET 2)

Houston: NC SOS 166 (16, NET 9)

But because of their OOC records by their conference:
B10 - 98-26 OOC, plus 140-140 conference games. Michigan has 18 more B10 games with an AVG SOS of .5891.
AAC - 91-38 OOC, plus 108-108 conference games. Houston has 18 AAC games with an AVG SOS of .5768
MAC - 68-40 OOC, plus 108-108 conference games. Buffalo has 18 MAC games with an AVG SOS of .5432
MWC - 56-49 OOC, plus 99-99 conference games. Nevada has 18 MWC games with an AVG SOS of .5115

So if all four go undefeated all season long…. Instead of the order being:

Nevada, Buffalo, Michigan, Houston, it would end up Michigan, Houston, Buffalo, Nevada.

Which is funny because that’s the order that NET has those teams in ALREADY. Which leads me to believe that NET has built conference bias into the equation.

·
Registered
936 Posts
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-the-new-ncaa-tournament-selection-committee-chair-talks-about-the-net-and-how-bracket-will-be-built/

Wasn't sure of the best place to put this, but here's an interview (unfortunately from Norlander) with the Selection chair. Mostly BS questions and answers, but a few, interesting, takeaways.

I either didn't realize, or had forgotten, that Bernie was on the committee. Also, the article following the one linked shows the teams most positively and negatively affected by NET vs RPI. VCU is the most negatively affected.

·
Piker
8,940 Posts
This is horrible. So sad. A guy got into an accident and was out of his car at night near the highway. My wife's friend broke down on 288 here in RVA and was checking on his vehicle when he was hit by a tractor trailer. If you ever breakdown do not walk around your vehicle on the side next to the roadway.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Well, I'm off to that Disney version of early American history, namely Williamsburg VA, for my first ever CAAction. The country's former Top 10 road team is hosting the CoC tonight at 7:00. If Sam Miller gets off the Charleston bench, I'll keep a keen eye open so that I can report back to Jaffie, et al.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Look, I know nobody really cares, but since this thread is called Miscellaneous Stuf, I'll continue with my previous post. Surprisingly good game last night, W&M came back from 15 down in the 1st half to beat a pretty good CoC team in overtime. I was very surprised by the environment. Not a whole heck of a lot of students there, the average age of fans being somewhere between that of Richmond and Dayton, but the building got loud as the Tribe stormed back. Somewhere between 3,500 and 4,000 but lively. Sam Miller played 17 minutes and looked pretty good, getting 14 points and 4 rebounds. He's still a little slow of foot but ran the floor pretty well and played solid if not spectacular defense. Charleston looks like it is a good fit for him. I was just looking forward to spending an evening with my son but an actual basketball game broke out for a bonus.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Thanks for the Sam Miller update res. I had almost forgotten about Sam and his viral police cam video. Thanks a lot Buddy.

I not sure whether I should be offended by the age of the crowd being somewhere between Richmond and Dayton???? WTF?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It's some of your own that have commented on the average age of the sweater vest contingent, that's why I went with it.

On the nights when the students don't show up in numbers, I could have easily used Bona.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It's some of your own that have commented on the average age of the sweater vest contingent, that's why I went with it.

On the nights when the students don't show up in numbers, I could have easily used Bona.
I don’t see as many sweater vests. It has to do with the new logo and aging. The sweater vests contingent was too frugal to invest in new logo wear and ... well aging is self explanatory.

I brought my Dad a nice red sweater vest about 18 years ago. He got pissed and returned it.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I assume whatever the NET formula is, they are just letting it roll along until the all important "eye test" time.

Meanwhile, Wofford is setting itself up for a Bona size let down if they don't win the SoCon tournament.

Currently up to 19 in the NET, and undefeated in conference play. Maybe they'll cause some heartburn for the committee.

If you needed to add a Southern team to the A10, they would be a good choice.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I assume whatever the NET formula is, they are just letting it roll along until the all important "eye test" time.

Meanwhile, Wofford is setting itself up for a Bona size let down if they don't win the SoCon tournament.

Currently up to 19 in the NET, and undefeated in conference play. Maybe they'll cause some heartburn for the committee.

If you needed to add a Southern team to the A10, they would be a good choice.
Wofford is an NCAA team through and through. Even if someone like Furman or ETSU wins the SoCon tournament, it would be a travesty if the Terriers didn’t receive a bid. I’d say the same about Belmont and Murray State in the OVC. These teams are WINNING GAMES and make the NCAA’s opening weekend so interesting. Reward winning! Ditch teams four games under .500 in their bloated P5 conference (hello, Oklahoma).

Oh, and interesting point on Wofford as a southern option to pair with Davidson. I’ve always had an eye on Charleston, but that new arena makes the Terriers and intriguing hypothetical.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Wofford is a 10 or even a 9 depending on where you look. I think as long as they lose to another top 4 team in the Southern, they will be fine. Although after 2016 I will never feel comfortable again.

81 - 100 of 378 Posts