Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
This deep in the season, I thought some math wizards would have reverse engineered the NET by now, and told us all how it works. There is a boatload of data available and a lot of computers to crunch the moving results to see how it works.

I'm looking at you JP :rules:

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I'm very interested in Wofford this year, and it's been a lot of fun to go to their games and watch them put together a undefeated conference season.

Their RPI is 27, which reminds me of what happened to Bona a few years ago when they were left out.

But their NET is 15. Even if they don't advance in their conference tournament, it would seem to be hard to leave them out and claim any validity to the NET as a measuring tool.

They are 3-4 in Quad 1, with the 4 losses on the road to P5's. They are undefeated in Quads 2,3 and 4.

I almost want them to lose the conference tournament final so that they become a bid thief to one of the P5 schools with less than .500 conference records.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I almost want them to lose the conference tournament final so that they become a bid thief to one of the P5 schools with less than .500 conference records.
I'm sort of with you on this one, too. My only fear is that they steal a bid from another deserving non-P5 instead of a team like Oklahoma or Indiana.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm very interested in Wofford this year, and it's been a lot of fun to go to their games and watch them put together a undefeated conference season.

Their RPI is 27, which reminds me of what happened to Bona a few years ago when they were left out.

But their NET is 15. Even if they don't advance in their conference tournament, it would seem to be hard to leave them out and claim any validity to the NET as a measuring tool.

They are 3-4 in Quad 1, with the 4 losses on the road to P5's. They are undefeated in Quads 2,3 and 4.

Strangely I am hoping Wofford goes out in the tournament as well, in the Final so there is little doubt about them (not that there should be but 2016 has scarred me). This is the best year for the mid majors to crash the party. Belmont, Lipscomb, Murray St, Liberty, Furman are all within reach. The only problem is some garbage team like Indiana just has to win a couple of games in the B1G and they will leap frog.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts

Assuming their NET stays at or near 15 even with an early exit, say top 25, that would be a litmus test for the committee, and everyone not in a P5[+]+ would be in their rights to (figuratively) murder the committee if they got left out.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Also, with the thousands of games already played this year, and the millions of data points available in the 6 areas that supposedly make up the NET, I am continually amazed that no one has reverse engineered this thing.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Instead of being productive, my co-workers and I were talking about this at work this afternoon. The discussion circled back to HC’s like Will and Archie who were pulling down + $2 million at gigs with significantly less pressure and none of this bullshit. UD was going to pay Archie $3 million to coach in the A10 and at a school where you have to do something really bad to get fired. Was it worth it Will?

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Instead of being productive, my co-workers and I were talking about this at work this afternoon. The discussion circled back to HC’s like Will and Archie who were pulling down + $2 million at gigs with significantly less pressure and none of this bullshit. UD was going to pay Archie $3 million to coach in the A10 and at a school where you have to do something really bad to get fired. Was it worth it Will?
I don't remember if I said it here or on the sju board, but Will Wade is as charming as a soggy oven mitt. Having to be a slimy fuck to get players should be shocking to no one.

The only questions that remain are whether these guys did similar shit at their respective former schools. It doesn't seem likely to me that a coach only starts to cheat when they get to certain level. Don't think so. And, in another way, rarely does the apple fall far from the other apple.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
As a poster on another board said to me, and I paraphrase; we're clean, thank god we have no money to give.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm a trained economist, folks. People respond to incentives. None of this surprises me (or you), none of it shocks me. Yes, it saddens me, but we're all codependents.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
In line with what Res posted above, i am reminded of the actor who asked the director what his motivation should be in the upcoming scene? The response, " a paycheck.'

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Breaking news. Zags Blog reporting Will Wade has been suspended for an indefinite period of by the LSU Chancellor and AD. Asst coach Tony Bedford to run the team.

101 - 120 of 378 Posts