Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1241 - 1260 of 1288 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Not sure how I feel about that

1. This happens to multiple non-P5 teams every year and no one bats an eye
2. He's not wrong and maybe it will take more P5 programs speaking out against it
3. It's ok to $%#@ over the little guy for our advantage, but when it happens to us, it's the worst thing imaginable

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
The short answer is that there is precious little difference in quality between the last 6 or 7 teams in and the first 6 or 7 teams out and there is no perfect way to evaluat "resumes". Someone is always going to get "screwed". Back when the tournament expanded to 64 teams I laughed at the analysts who pointed out that one of the benefits of the move was that it would reduce the selection controversy as it would ensure that all of the "deserving" teams would now get in.

Hah, you could expand this thing to 256 teams and #257 would still scream bloody murder.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,298 Posts
Something tells me that Seth Davis doesn't know what the word "transparent" means

Yeah… what the hell is he talking about? “Bracketologists” aren’t on the selection committee. We want a public process that presents firm selection criteria up front. The criteria can’t change year to year just because committee members do.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ahhhh… so the Muskie faithful have truly sold their collective soul? The guy is dead to rights with multiple serious violations from Arizona, yet they prefer him?
I normally don’t venture on to other school’s message boards but wanted to see the state of mind of the Muskie Nation. There are some mean ass posters there. There was/is a serious anti Travis Steele sentiment.

I don’t know if Xavier would pay a HC $3 million but that is a very good job. They’ll get great candidates so why they fan base is so excited about Sean Miller is hard to tell. Jerome Tang (Assos. HC at Baylor) is a hot name and is being mentioned at Kansas State and Missouri. Personally I think Xavier is a better job than either of these schools

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Yeah, Buzz isn't wrong. They were more deserving than Michigan or Notre Dame or Memphis.

We laugh at Texas A&M because they are huge and rich; and we get pissed when it's Dayton, VCU, St. Bonaventure, Richmond, or Davidson who gets fucked because it's far more financially significant to us, and way more unfair to us than to Texas A&M. They had plenty of chances to prove their good and proved they were a bubble team. We get a lot less chances to prove we're good and when they don't respect our #2 team, none of us can get credit for our wins vs them. (so Fuck Texas A&M).

But he's not wrong.

The criteria is meandering bullshit so the committee can justify who they want in (P5 because they are a cartel) and who they want out. I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist for all my anti-P5 talk, but, uh, it's blatantly obvious. Memphis vs Boise State, San Francisco vs Murray St.... that guarantees 2 non-P5 teams get a win... but guarantees that only 2 of the 4 are in the Sweet 16. Look at all the 7-10 mid-major matchups the last 10 years where everyone thought that 7 seed deserved a 5 and a the 10 deserved a 7. It's obvious.

The selection process and brackets created are easily the worst they've ever been; they just don't care. (take a look at how far teams would have to travel after the first four... if Wyoming won, they'd have to go from Dayton to Portland. The First Four winners were sent to the FARTHEST THREE of the 8 sites, even though the other five are ALL within 353 miles of Dayton!). They DON'T WANT upsets. They want to seed the tournament with BCS (and Gonzaga) 1-8 and get all chalk.

They're just trying to get as many units for themselves as they can. Selection is a cash grab. Which is why Notre Dame, Rutgers and Michigan got three spots they didn't deserve; and Dayton, SMU, St. Bona, Saint Louis, VCU and Iona were left out/no where close.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I don’t know JP. I can’t say that I believe Dayton got screwed. If anything, I say that the Committee gave UD an honest look by considering what the Flyer’s did after first three horrible losses.

Look at the number of ways that UD could have gotten in as an at-large.

Not losing to UMASS Lowell, Lipscomb and Austin Peay, or
Winning one of the true road games in OOC at Ole Miss or SMU, or
Not losing at LaSalle, or
Not losing a 15 point lead against Richmond in the semi’s

The Committee ranked UD right with ND, Indiana and Rutgers so UD should have taken care of two or three of the points I listed. None of which were stretches.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I don’t know JP. I can’t say that I believe Dayton got screwed. If anything, I say that the Committee gave UD an honest look by considering what the Flyer’s did after first three horrible losses.

Look at the number of ways that UD could have gotten in as an at-large.

Not losing to UMASS Lowell, Lipscomb and Austin Peay, or
Winning one of the true road games in OOC at Ole Miss or SMU, or
Not losing at LaSalle, or
Not losing a 15 point lead against Richmond in the semi’s

The Committee ranked UD right with ND, Indiana and Rutgers so UD should have taken care of two or three of the points I listed. None of which were stretches.
I was SHOCKED by the committee saying Dayton was the highest rated team left out. I still cannot conceive a logic-based selection process that says Dayton's resume is the top left out.... but Memphis gets in. They had MORE bad losses (Tulane, Georgia, East Carolina, Cincinnati, UCF) and while they had one more good win, it was because they went 2-1 against Houston -- who had such a ridiculously weak resume they got a 5 seed -- and Alabama; while Dayton beat Kansas and Miami.

That's why I said Dayton got screwed.

It makes no logical sense put Memphis into the tourney ahead of Dayton AND give Houston a seed 2 slots higher than Murray State. If Memphis is better than Dayton, then Murray State is better than Houston. If Houston is better than Murray State, then Dayton is better than Memphis.

Likewise, Boise State and Utah State were the Mountain West favorites. BSU lost to Colorado State twice, split with Wyoming. San Diego St and Colorado St were surprise MWC teams, who got in by beating CSU and BSU.

While Bona and Richmond were the A-10 favorites; and Davidson, Dayton, VCU and SLU got no credit for beating conference favorites -- even though Bona and SLU BEAT BOISE ST.

And that's why JP loses his shit and posts 2 million words in March.

Did you guys watch The Good Place? It's a great show. It's funny making low brow jokes about human nature for laughs (like the Office, same writers), while at the same time all the references to moral philosophy are accurate. But in the show, there's a path to heaven that's ironclad and no one on earth knows what it is.

The NCAA is kind of like that, except at the Pearly Gates, they look at who you are, and say "Oh, you were really great at following Immanuel Kant and being a good person, but FOR YOU it's moral particularism!" and "Oh, BCS school, you only killed 5 people with the Trolley Problem instead of one, come on in."

If the cartel wants to make a system that's totally rigged for the BCS, I'm not okay with it, but if you set the parameters clearly and say "These are the unfair obstacles you have to meet, meet them and you're in" THAT IS BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE NOW.

For example, just tell the football Group of Five "you HAVE to go undefeated, and if you're one of four or less undefeateds, you can be the 4 seed in the CFP." Don't wait til UCF, Boise, Tulane, Bowling Green, is undefeated and then say "Oh, sorry, it's SOS."

You want to keep the Bonnies out for their 85 NET, that's cool... Had you taken us in 2016 when we were 29 in your index. But you didn't.

You said the problem was our OOC SOS and no OOC wins. But when we do the INVERSE of that...

2016: 29 RPI, 152 OOC SOS, 81 SOS going 2-2 vs NCAA teams
2018: 88 NET, 62 OOC SOS, 78 SOS going 2-2 vs NCAA teams.

And you still keep us out, you're just moving the target to justify that you want us out. And that makes you a money-grubbing whore with no logical standing. Pick a fucking philosophy and tell us what it is so we can try and meet it. But instead it's "Fuck you no matter what you do."

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It's that time of year again where UMass actually makes a post season and it wouldn't be shocking to actually win some games.

Despite being a 3 seed (out of 4 per region), UMass was slated in an area that would essentially be home games right through the championship should we end up winning. We're in the Worcester, MA bracket (~1 hour from campus) and the Frozen 4 takes place in Boston this year. Obviously it would mean beating some stiff competition to get there, but would be great to be able to defend the title from last year!

Expectations aren't that high though, as most of the best teams are in the west this year.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quinnipiac is pretty damn good this year. They earned their 2 seed in their region (also the top seeded team from the Northeast, since the other 5 teams make up all the 4 seeds and one of the 3 seeds).

1241 - 1260 of 1288 Posts