Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1301 - 1320 of 1323 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't think colleges and universities are supposed to have their 'hands' on NIL money. If true and IF followed, the most likely people, companies or groups to get 'screwed' are those fronting the money, and I for one would be overjoyed. Maybe the IRS needs to make these NIL payments a non-deductible business expense.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The only way this system will regulate is if schools like Ohio St get screwed so I am all for it.
I agree to a certain extent. When OSU, Alabama, Georgia start losing recruits and All Americans to schools like Texas A&M and USC because of NLI money the shit will hit the fan. Or if schools like Miami can buy their way to the next level. The problem will only enough shit needed to benefit Saban and Day will be thrown at the fan. The A10 will still lose quality players to the Iowa States because it doesn’t impact Saban.

PaulXU posted about NIL money at the Epicenter, but personally I don’t see it. I see some stuff like the Lees or Honey Bees chicken promotions and some personal appearances by UD players but it’s small time compared to what is going on, or is kept very quiet. I have to believe that Grant is going to be challenged to keep a roster together every offseason.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
PaulXU posted about NIL money at the Epicenter, but personally I don’t see it. I see some stuff like the Lees or Honey Bees chicken promotions and some personal appearances by UD players but it’s small time compared to what is going on, or is kept very quiet. I have to believe that Grant is going to be challenged to keep a roster together every offseason.
I think what you're describing here is the true intent of NIL, or at least a part of it. Local businesses paying student athletes to promote a product when the business feels the player will increase sales or visibility. The players also being able to profit off of their pictures on posters, names on jerseys, etc. also seem to part of it. But, then there is someone giving a prospective player $800,000, which to me raises a lot of questions.

1. Did the school give the company this money to the business, acting as a conduit, to pay the player?
2. If not, then is this business actually using the players name, image, and/or likeness in any way?
3. If not, how is this any different than a booster paying a recruit to go to a school?

The only way this seems "legal", or within the rules, is if the players getting paid are actually contributing their NIL to this business. I mean, if a law firm wants to give half a million to a player to be in commercials, good for the kid and it doesn't seem to be outside of the parameters of the ruling. But, at least from what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be anything reported like that. I'm not looking into these, but I just hear of the players getting "deals". So what's really going on? And what if the local equivalent of Honey Bees in Columbus can pay 5x as much as the one in Dayton?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I agree 100%. I don’t have an issue with the spirit of the NIL but no one is surprised or should be surprised by how easily and quickly the usual bad actors took advantage of the rule. I posted before that Grant and every other coach in the A10 has a deal with with a car dealership. Grant does commercials for Mercedes’ Benz of Centerville. I don’t know what he gets - maybe a car - but I doubt it’s what Osun is getting in Ames. There is an established market value for promotional appearances for coaches and professional athletes and It’s not $2 million for a college quarterback

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
We get caught up in the games, recruiting, the transfer portal and nil but their importance pales in comparison to the news that Jayda Danielle Grant, the only daughter of Anthony and Christina Grant, has passed away. She was to turn 21 in August, ran on the UD Track Team, and leaves three brothers without a sister. In lieu of flowers, donations were requested to be sent to your local National Alliance on Mental Illness.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,335 Posts
We get caught up in the games, recruiting, the transfer portal and nil but their importance pales in comparison to the news that Jayda Danielle Grant, the only daughter of Anthony and Christina Grant, has passed away. She was to turn 21 in August, ran on the UD Track Team, and leaves three brothers without a sister. In lieu of flowers, donations were requested to be sent to your local National Alliance on Mental Illness.
Terrible, gut wrenching news. This world is a goddamn slaughterhouse. I’ll say a Prayer to Saint Francis for the Grant family.

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
Heartbreaking news. I remember seeing Jayda as a young girl when they were here at VCU. Thinking of the Grant and UD family during this difficult time. May Jayda Rest In Peace.

Reactions: College Hoops

·
Piker
11,297 Posts
We lounged on our deck all spring watching two hawks build a large nest. Now we have three baby hawks (nestlings). The parents bring them squirrels, bunnies and snakes. When I mow under the nest I find remnants that have been dropped due to the nestlings fighting for their fair share because we all know THE HAWK WILL NEVER DIE!

PS-They are Red-Shouldered Hawks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m usually not one for empty condolences, and Im new to this board, but this news shook me. The death of a young family member is a profound loss you can never truly be prepared for. Nothing but the best to AG, who seems like he is a genuinely good person, and his family.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I agree to a certain extent. When OSU, Alabama, Georgia start losing recruits and All Americans to schools like Texas A&M and USC because of NLI money the shit will hit the fan. Or if schools like Miami can buy their way to the next level. The problem will only enough shit needed to benefit Saban and Day will be thrown at the fan. The A10 will still lose quality players to the Iowa States because it doesn’t impact Saban.

Yea, what you described is what I was getting at. I am all for athletes making money off appearances, t shirts...etc. I bought Lofton and Shoon T shirts last fall knowing some of that was going to them. Now I wish I didnt but that's a whole other thing. What we have now is pay to play. I do find it funny that tOSU is crying about needing money to keep their players but it just shows how bad this thing is spiraling out of control.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I guarantee you these schools have a committee that works with boosters to identify local (or national) business outlets that would be interested in "buying" player X for some sum, pooling these "buyers" and getting to the figure they need to keep player from going to another school. All we can hope is the ROI is poor - other than winning FB and BB games - and the deep pockets get tired of it. The money pie would shrink and we get back to a more normal interpretation of what NIL should look like. Right now it's what we knew it would become, hopefully it bursts as quickly as it blew up.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,317 ·
Is it "supposedly" against the rules for a school to coordinate with boosters on NIL deals/money?

1301 - 1320 of 1323 Posts