Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Across quite a few areas of the contemporary world, it might be time to read up on M. Robespierre. The über powerful can’t seem to understand any other type of approach. College athletics needs its own figurative guillotine.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
con·tem·po·rar·y
/kənˈtempəˌrerē/
adjective
adjective: contemporary

1. living or occurring at the same time.

Yes, same as you.

EDIT:

Oops, should have gone with this:

noun
noun: contemporary; plural noun: contemporaries

1. a person or thing living or existing at the same time as another.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
So is our Thing 1. And, because of that, he had to go back to school and get his masters in accounting. He is now gainfully employed and almost off our payroll.
Who knew it took graduate school to learn debits and credits? At least with his undergraduate degree, he'll be one of the few bean counters to understand mark to market.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Gonzaga lays a gigantic egg last night and the bubble gets smaller as St. Mary's takes the WCC. I watched the entire game and GU looked like Garbage U. They are always so overrated, they aren't #1 in the nation, shit they aren't even a 1-seed. If it hadn't been for their past performances (6 straight WCC tourneys) I'd have suggested they tanked in order to get 2 in from their conference last night it was that bad. You can't lose to a team you beat by 48 and 15 during the regular season. You don't lose your conference tournament when you get a bye into the semis, you're 16-0 against the WCC (17-0 after semis) with average MOV around 25 pts. Either Randy Bennett found the magic potion in the span of a week, or GU just didn't give a crap.

East Coast bias? Sure. But their "brand" of basketball or whatever you want to call it just doesn't pass muster when I think of what I see watching a fair number of Big12 and ACC basketball games. I think they're good. Really good. But the number 1 crap is over the top.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Gonzaga lays a gigantic egg last night and the bubble gets smaller as St. Mary's takes the WCC. I watched the entire game and GU looked like Garbage U. They are always so overrated, they aren't #1 in the nation, shit they aren't even a 1-seed. If it hadn't been for their past performances (6 straight WCC tourneys) I'd have suggested they tanked in order to get 2 in from their conference last night it was that bad. You can't lose to a team you beat by 48 and 15 during the regular season. You don't lose your conference tournament when you get a bye into the semis, you're 16-0 against the WCC (17-0 after semis) with average MOV around 25 pts. Either Randy Bennett found the magic potion in the span of a week, or GU just didn't give a crap.

East Coast bias? Sure. But their "brand" of basketball or whatever you want to call it just doesn't pass muster when I think of what I see watching a fair number of Big12 and ACC basketball games. I think they're good. Really good. But the number 1 crap is over the top.

Ok BI, dont go all Stephen A Smith on us. You are better than that. Gonazaga is a great team and they will be in the Final 4. They are the only team to beat Duke at full strength. They have earned benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Ok BI, dont go all Stephen A Smith on us. You are better than that. Gonazaga is a great team and they will be in the Final 4. They are the only team to beat Duke at full strength. They have earned benefit of the doubt.
Maybe I'm being a little salty, but '03 they looked terrible last night. Maybe a season full of playing crap teams dulled their edge. They also beat Duke back in November. I said they're really good, but to cool the 1-seed/#1 in the nation talk. If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say under 50% chance they make the Final 4. A true number 1 doesn't put that performance on the court last night.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Gonzaga lays a gigantic egg last night and the bubble gets smaller as St. Mary's takes the WCC. I watched the entire game and GU looked like Garbage U. They are always so overrated, they aren't [URL=http://www.basketballforum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] in the nation, shit they aren't even a 1-seed. If it hadn't been for their past performances (6 straight WCC tourneys) I'd have suggested they tanked in order to get 2 in from their conference last night it was that bad. You can't lose to a team you beat by 48 and 15 during the regular season. You don't lose your conference tournament when you get a bye into the semis, you're 16-0 against the WCC (17-0 after semis) with average MOV around 25 pts. Either Randy Bennett found the magic potion in the span of a week, or GU just didn't give a crap.

Reminds me of a lot of stuff found on other boards when St. Joe's was #1 back in 2004.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Maybe I'm being a little salty, but '03 they looked terrible last night. Maybe a season full of playing crap teams dulled their edge. They also beat Duke back in November. I said they're really good, but to cool the 1-seed/#1 in the nation talk. If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say under 50% chance they make the Final 4. A true number 1 doesn't put that performance on the court last night.

Name one team in college basketball that hasnt looked terrible once. Duke, UNC, Gonzaga, Tennessee, Michigan St...etc have all had at least 1 terrible game.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
A loss like that is almost a good thing for a team like Gonzaga, as it reminds them that they are by no means flawless and need to tighten shit up before the dance. Also, it gets their league at least one extra NCAA unit. I wouldn't worry about the Zags at all. Their size and physicality almost always assures a run to (at least) the second weekend.

Oh, and I'm going to be so bummed if Belmont doesn't receive an at-large. That's a really, really good team. That senior shooter of theirs needs to be on the big stage.

121 - 140 of 378 Posts