Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Reminds me of a lot of stuff found on other boards when St. Joe's was [URL=http://www.basketballforum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] back in 2004.
And were they right or wrong back then? Come on ace, insert your opinion dammit!
I'll add it. Saint Joseph's should have been the National Champions in 2004 and deserved the #1 seed. Xavier was a bucket away from the Elite Eight that year. SMC will not be in the S16 this year.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Also, with the thousands of games already played this year, and the millions of data points available in the 6 areas that supposedly make up the NET, I am continually amazed that no one has reverse engineered this thing.

The reason no one has posted it is because there's millions of data points, and you have to go trial and error to run your numbers to match theirs. Then when you get your weights to all the components to create an index that matches the official...

... then it has to match the NEXT EDITION of the official, or you're wrong on your weights somewhere and have to tweak it so that it gets both editions to match each time.

Then again with the next edition and the next edition, and the next edition.

Also, WarrenNolan.com has been posting NET ratings as if they're fact all season long with zero explanation of where it's coming from.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Maybe I'm being a little salty, but '03 they looked terrible last night. Maybe a season full of playing crap teams dulled their edge. They also beat Duke back in November. I said they're really good, but to cool the 1-seed/#1 in the nation talk. If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say under 50% chance they make the Final 4. A true number 1 doesn't put that performance on the court last night.
The crazy thing is that they've been without two of the best players most the season.

And they're playing this tournament with Tillie in a "I'm back, but not really back yet, so I'll be a rotation guy, not a starter." It's great to have someone that talented back, but at the same time, they've played 22 games without him and now suddenly roles are different in the WCC Semis.

Gonzaga is really, really good. They probably deserve the No. 1 overall seed. But

(a) who cares? The games are neutral site and geography based. They're going to play in San Jose or Salt Lake the first weekend, and Anaheim for the second weekend. The only difference between Overall No. 1 and Other No. 1 Seed is "which two seed gets shipped to their region, LSU or Michigan State." And it's not like LSU is surviving til the regional finals anyway.

(b) Your odds are kind of silly. A 50% chance of making the Final Four actually quite fantastic. Vegas is listing the odds for North Carolina, Michigan State and Virginia each at 22.2% Granted, Vegas is about balancing money to limit risk, and not "true likelihood" but they generally know what they're doing.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
The reason no one has posted it is because there's millions of data points, and you have to go trial and error to run your numbers to match theirs. Then when you get your weights to all the components to create an index that matches the official...

... then it has to match the NEXT EDITION of the official, or you're wrong on your weights somewhere and have to tweak it so that it gets both editions to match each time.

Then again with the next edition and the next edition, and the next edition.
Just imagine if I had a computer to help me with that, instead of doing it all by hand.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Gonzaga lays a gigantic egg last night and the bubble gets smaller as St. Mary's takes the WCC. I watched the entire game and GU looked like Garbage U. They are always so overrated, they aren't #1 in the nation, shit they aren't even a 1-seed. If it hadn't been for their past performances (6 straight WCC tourneys) I'd have suggested they tanked in order to get 2 in from their conference last night it was that bad. You can't lose to a team you beat by 48 and 15 during the regular season. You don't lose your conference tournament when you get a bye into the semis, you're 16-0 against the WCC (17-0 after semis) with average MOV around 25 pts. Either Randy Bennett found the magic potion in the span of a week, or GU just didn't give a crap.

East Coast bias? Sure. But their "brand" of basketball or whatever you want to call it just doesn't pass muster when I think of what I see watching a fair number of Big12 and ACC basketball games. I think they're good. Really good. But the number 1 crap is over the top.
Ok BI, dont go all Stephen A Smith on us. You are better than that. Gonazaga is a great team and they will be in the Final 4. They are the only team to beat Duke at full strength. They have earned benefit of the doubt.
Sounds like the Zags may have had a bad night, which as someone pointed out, is likely good for them. Their NET and Pomeroy rankings both sit at 2 even after the loss. And, St. Mary's is really no slouch with a NET of 34 and Pom of 29, so they could have been dancing anyway. Gonzaga did at least try to challenge themselves OOC. They beat Illinois (Current NET 105), Arizona (94) and Duke (3) in Maui, beat Texas A&M (82), won at Creighton (54), beat Washington (40), and their two losses prior to last night were in a tourney to Tennessee (6) and North Carolina (7).

Sounds like it was a bad night for the Zags. I'll let the conspiracy theorists decide if it was on purpose or not.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I'll let the conspiracy theorists decide if it was on purpose or not.
The WCC, at Gonzaga's "request," changed their NCAA unit payout methodology.

The whole "lose for the good of the conference" thing (a) is never going to really happen and (b) is a drop in the bucket compared to what Gonzaga can now earn in the NCAAs.

Their split is "whomever earns it keeps a percentage, and that percentage goes up as they advance"

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'll add it. Saint Joseph's should have been the National Champions in 2004 and deserved the #1 seed. Xavier was a bucket away from the Elite Eight that year. SMC will not be in the S16 this year.
Xavier was a bucket, and some bad officiating away from the Final Four that year. They lost to Duke in the regional final, not the Sweet Sixteen.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Sounds like the Zags may have had a bad night, which as someone pointed out, is likely good for them. Their NET and Pomeroy rankings both sit at 2 even after the loss. And, St. Mary's is really no slouch with a NET of 34 and Pom of 29, so they could have been dancing anyway. Gonzaga did at least try to challenge themselves OOC. They beat Illinois (Current NET 105), Arizona (94) and Duke (3) in Maui, beat Texas A&M (82), won at Creighton (54), beat Washington (40), and their two losses prior to last night were in a tourney to Tennessee (6) and North Carolina (7).

Sounds like it was a bad night for the Zags. I'll let the conspiracy theorists decide if it was on purpose or not.
Stop making me sound unhinged 84. I had a rant and I stick by it!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
And now we have Oklahoma, "stumbling to a 10" in ESPN's latest bracketology after losing to WVU (who's terrible) in the Big12 tournament. So let's get this straight, 7-11 in the Big12, 0-1 in the conference tournament. Good team? Probably. Tournament team? No.

Even CBS bracketology has them a 10. And St. John's an 11, not even a play-in.

Further expanding on St. John's. The "experts" want to point to their "good wins". 1-5 against the bottom of the BE. Those are bad losses. Maybe it stings because SBU was nearly kept out of the NCAAT last season because of a couple bad losses - one without its star player, despite many "good wins".

We all know rules for one aren't good for the other. It's a sham.

And yeah, sorry res. Pulling for Bucknell last night. Colgate must be pretty good. The studio guys on ESPN got a little crack in about them being Ivy League schools :)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Colgate is a much different beast than most schools. You know that.
Great football and good lacrosse. Good/decent in a few other sports.

6 losing seasons in a row. The last 2 have been good, sure. Still not sure one can say he has done well there.

That said, Fordham's AD hired him when he was at Colgate. Perhaps he will do so again when they get bounced from the NCAA Tournament, as there is a chance our job will be foolishly open.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Great football and good lacrosse. Good/decent in a few other sports.

6 losing seasons in a row. The last 2 have been good, sure. Still not sure one can say he has done well there.

That said, Fordham's AD hired him when he was at Colgate. Perhaps he will do so again when they get bounced from the NCAA Tournament, as there is a chance our job will be foolishly open.
I suspect Langel will be back, the vast majority of his team will be. They will be the clear favorite next year and if Langel is looking for a new job, he might want one more successful season to see what other offers might come his way.

Yes, ace, the 'Gate is a football school and certainly not a basketball one. The basketball team averaged an announced attendance of 622 a game this year. Stripping out the three home playoff games leaves an average of 444 per regular season game. And believe it or not, that number appears to be greatly inflated. Watching their games, it often appears there are no more than 100 - 200 in attendance regardless of what's reported. And this basketball team is a very good one.

By comparison, the hockey team averages 1,200+.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I suspect Langel will be back, the vast majority of his team will be. They will be the clear favorite next year and if Langel is looking for a new job, he might want one more successful season to see what other offers might come his way.

Yes, ace, the 'Gate is a football school and certainly not a basketball one. The basketball team averaged an announced attendance of 622 a game this year. Stripping out the three home playoff games leaves an average of 444 per regular season game. And believe it or not, that number appears to be greatly inflated. Watching their games, it often appears there are no more than 100 - 200 in attendance regardless of what's reported. And this basketball team is a very good one.

By comparison, the hockey team averages 1,200+.
Let's be honest, sitting out in the cold to watch Patriot League football is not very appealing. Probably could say the same for most/all of FCS football. Heck, I'm sure many here will say the same about FBS football. I'll stop there and not mention the NFL.

141 - 160 of 378 Posts