Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

161 - 180 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
The new AAC media deal is interesting in that most of the games will be on ESPN+.
May reflect a trend where the 18-34 target demo watches more and more sports on other devices than a TV (that's not in a sports bar).
So, hard core fans of one team pay the monthly subscription, and end up paying for the deal as opposed to ad revenue.
Seems to be a big win for ESPN.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The new AAC media deal is interesting in that most of the games will be on ESPN+.
May reflect a trend where the 18-34 target demo watches more and more sports on other devices than a TV (that's not in a sports bar).
So, hard core fans of one team pay the monthly subscription, and end up paying for the deal as opposed to ad revenue.
Seems to be a big win for ESPN.
The AAC board had an interesting comment. Teams not named Cinni, Houston, and UConn will be on ESPN+.
Snap comment meaning teams that moved up from CUSA will be on ESPN+

Made a comment in the around the league that the AAC gets near 7M for each team and we get 5M for the conference of 14 teams, are we under paid. Most of the basketball and other sports will be on ESPN+ . They like to say there is a 70/30 split between football and basketball, which caused the Big East split. That would 5 times more than our 5M (83M times 30%). Are we worth 1/5 of AAC basketball?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The AAC board had an interesting comment. Teams not named Cinni, Houston, and UConn will be on ESPN+.
Snap comment meaning teams that moved up from CUSA will be on ESPN+

Made a comment in the around the league that the AAC gets near 7M for each team and we get 5M for the conference of 14 teams, are we under paid. Most of the basketball and other sports will be on ESPN+ . They like to say there is a 70/30 split between football and basketball, which caused the Big East split. That would 5 times more than our 5M (83M times 30%). Are we worth 1/5 of AAC basketball?
Funny. I had just quoted your comment from the other thread and was brining it over here.

Maybe that split is wrong or simply having football gives the conference a lot more bargaining power in the negotiations.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
During our first NCAA game of the day, I hear the announcer say this:m

“Louisville has lost 8 of their last 11; Minnesota has lost 8 of their last 13”

WTF are we doing with this tournament?

Furman won 9 of their last 11 (Wofford, UNCG)
UNCG won 14 of their last 17 (Wofford, Furman, Wofford)
Lipscomb won 16 of their last 19 (Liberty, FGCU, Liberty)

And these are two team I felt were safely in.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
During our first NCAA game of the day, I hear the announcer say this:m

“Louisville has lost 8 of their last 11; Minnesota has lost 8 of their last 13”

WTF are we doing with this tournament?

Furman won 9 of their last 11 (Wofford, UNCG)
UNCG won 14 of their last 17 (Wofford, Furman, Wofford)
Lipscomb won 16 of their last 19 (Liberty, FGCU, Liberty)

And these are two team I felt were safely in.
But JP, they were good losses. Baaaaah!

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Sarcasm detection system down today?
No, I got it. I just really wanted to point and laugh about teams losing to Boston College and Rutgers.

Jim Boeheim employed a child molester for decades and accused his victims of lying; ignored school and NCAA policy after a dozen of his players failed drug tests over a nine-year stretch, refused the accept any responsibility for any of that, kicked his role players off the team to free up scholarships to recruit with after the NCAA slapped him on the wrist with a scholarship reduction, peed his pants on the bench, and killed a guy.

Not relevant to anything, but just so you all remember.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
No, I got it. I just really wanted to point and laugh about teams losing to Boston College and Rutgers.

Jim Boeheim employed a child molester for decades and accused his victims of lying; ignored school and NCAA policy after a dozen of his players failed drug tests over a nine-year stretch, refused the accept any responsibility for any of that, kicked his role players off the team to free up scholarships to recruit with after the NCAA slapped him on the wrist with a scholarship reduction, peed his pants on the bench, and killed a guy.

Not relevant to anything, but just so you all remember.
Come on JP, that's low, and that's BS and you know it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Not basketball related, but hopefully you all can find it in your hearts to root for UMass tonight in the Hockey East Tournament. We won the regular season championship (first time ever), are destined for a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament (only our second tournament appearance ever), and have a shot to win our first ever Hockey East Tournament championship if we beat BC tonight and then the winner of BU/Northeastern tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Am I dreaming? Wasn't there a VCU thread with big pictures of their gathering place in Columbia for the game?

Where did it go?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Not basketball related, but hopefully you all can find it in your hearts to root for UMass tonight in the Hockey East Tournament. We won the regular season championship (first time ever), are destined for a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament (only our second tournament appearance ever), and have a shot to win our first ever Hockey East Tournament championship if we beat BC tonight and then the winner of BU/Northeastern tomorrow.
Big game tonight, the Minutemen go after a national championship in Buffalo against the defending national champion University of Minnesota - Duluth Bulldogs. Puck drop is at 8:00 on the Deuce.

Gives me just enough time to grab dinner after the Masters' coverage ends for the day.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Big game tonight, the Minutemen go after a national championship in Buffalo against the defending national champion University of Minnesota - Duluth Bulldogs. Puck drop is at 8:00 on the Deuce.

Gives me just enough time to grab dinner after the Masters' coverage ends for the day.
It didn't work out in the end, Duluth is a powerhouse. But I couldn't be more proud of how the team did this year. They were predicted to finish 7th in Hockey East and not even make the tournament. To come in out of nowhere and finish as national runner up. Wow.

And Cale Makar shows why he was the best candidate for the Hobey Baker...

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
It didn't work out in the end, Duluth is a powerhouse. But I couldn't be more proud of how the team did this year. They were predicted to finish 7th in Hockey East and not even make the tournament. To come in out of nowhere and finish as national runner up. Wow.

And Cale Makar shows why he was the best candidate for the Hobey Baker...
Same here!

Here is the first 45 sec of the NCAA Championship opening. 13.7k for the game. Say looked like a 1 or 2k open seats in the upper most level.

https://twitter.com/zarch81steve/status/1117624496536588293

161 - 180 of 436 Posts