Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are a lot of inaccurate notions running around here

1.Chandler is a good rebounder and eddy curry isn't and the gap between them in that regard is sizable

the truth is TC was tied at 38th in the league in boards per 48 min. at 11.9 and curry was 46 at 11.4(both of whom were behind the likes of joel prysbilla for whatever its worth)

2.chandler is a good defender and fizer is a horrible defender

well just for clarification Chandler is not a good defender he blocks shots well and there is a diference between the 2 like the difference between jason williams(on the grizzlies) who gets a lot steals and is in my opinion the worst point guard defensively in the league

its a case of some1 doing one area of defense well

and fizer isn't horrible at defense i wouldn't call him particuarly good at it but he has shown he can play very good defense from time to time(he spaces these defensive showings a little too far apart for my taste but in time i think he'll get more consistant )

for instance the last game against the celtics he basically shut down A.Walker in the forth quarter when counted mostafter walker as he typically does was having a pretty good game up to that point

3.Eddie Robinson is a small forward

he isn't, he's a 2 guard he doesn't see himself as a forward, small or otherwise neither does the coaching staff or krause who i believe promised him the shooting guard spot when he signed himhe has no 3 point range or a good handle to create his own shots which are most posters reasons for labeling him a forward

well from what i saw of him last year the same lack of those 2 skill could go for norm richardson but no one questioned his designation at the shooting guard spot

at the most he is a swingman a player who can play the 3 when he has to but when i look at him and his slight frame its obvious he is a guard (6'9 200 lbs. honestly how many forwards in the nba weigh 200 or less nowadays?)

·
Registered
140 Posts
nice post, i agree with almost everything except the e.rob stuff. he may think he's a sg, but he is a sf who can play some sg. i still think it's impossible to judge him on last year's performance... let's wait until the all-star break and see what he looks like. i think he'll be out starting sf by then.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
hg, nice post.

You're absolutely right on the defense stuff. One thing that's often overlooked when folks talk about D is that being in the right place is a key. A lot of people say that Rose is a terrible defender. It's true that he doesn't clamp down his man very well. However, from what I've seen, he plays defensive rotations better than just about anyone on the team. I think, overall, he's an average defender.

Both Chandler and Curry get lost a lot on defense...so do most rookies...particularly high-schoolers. It takes time.

The key difference I see between Chandler and Curry is that Curry is a much more polished offensive player, but I like Chandler's defensive intensity a lot more.

As for ERob, your analysis may be correct, but it's a little depressing. An SG with no range and bad handles is, by definition, a bad offensive SG.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Originally posted by <b>transplant</b>!
As for ERob, your analysis may be correct, but it's a little depressing. An SG with no range and bad handles is, by definition, a bad offensive SG.
I don't understand you guys who thin Erob is a shooting guard.

He doesn't SHOOT and he doesn't GUARD! :mad:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Electric Slim</b>!

I don't understand you guys who thin Erob is a shooting guard.

He doesn't SHOOT and he doesn't GUARD! :mad:
Just to be clear, I didn't say I thought ERob's a SG. What I said that, if happygrinch is right about ERob being a SG with no range and no handles, he's a bad shooting guard.

Most of the time I saw him play last season, ERob was at the SF position. When healthy, he was often one of the better players on the floor. I even thought he was at least an average defender, particularly out on the floor (not so good when taken inside by stronger SFs).

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>transplant</b>!

Just to be clear, I didn't say I thought ERob's a SG. What I said that, if happygrinch is right about ERob being a SG with no range and no handles, he's a bad shooting guard.

Most of the time I saw him play last season, ERob was at the SF position. When healthy, he was often one of the better players on the floor. I even thought he was at least an average defender, particularly out on the floor (not so good when taken inside by stronger SFs).
People seem to be so concerned with ERob not having 3 point range, but let's give him props on what he does well. ERob shoots a very high percentage and has a really solid mid range jumper. There's nothing wrong with having a game from midrange and in if you shoot such a high percentage from there.

I really love how high ERob gets up just to shoot and that he shoots from on top of his head. Thus, his jumper is almost unblockable. It's a bit unorthodox, but I love it. I see ERob scoring in double figures a lot this year if he can get 24 minutes of playing time a game.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i saw robinson before he was a bull and his game isn't really pyhsical enough for the 3 spot and most bulls fans would argue that he isn't skilled enough for the off guard

as for his defense i've seen him play excellent defense before in fact i thought he was as important as anyone with his defense on eddie jones(although eddie jones' game is tailor made for e-rob to lock down when his streaky 3 isn't falling) in the char.-mia series in 2001

my point on robinson is people look at what he cant do or look at his performance when they know he was at less than 100% and assume that is all he is capable of i've seen him play better and since in my opinion he is still raw i expect him to improve

to me he is a tall guard not a skinny forward as many others think

and to be clear i dont think robinson is a bad 2 guard, merely an unconventional one who is in all honesty a perfect fit for his team ( a player on a team full of ballhandlers content to just be a finisher whether as a jumpshooter or on a break and play defense)

there are plenty of 2 guards who have carved out very good careers without 3 point range or a handle enough to create their own shot i'm just saying not every player falls into a particular skillset is a good player or a player that must play a certain position

1 - 7 of 7 Posts