Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the fourth quarter and we are up or very close. Jalen Rose is playing like garbage and can't hit anything. What does he do, he takes out the young guys who are playing great ot put in a cold-shooting Rose and Peterson. Play the guys that have earned it.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
My opinion of Mitchell has changed a little since before we embarked on that West road swing.

I don't understand a lot of the things he's doing. Substitution patters are a little odd but they are justifiable in that he's playing the guys he's comfortable with, guys he thinks will do their job correctly.

It's the playcalling that really concerns me. Nothing he calls out of a time out either a) materializes or b) is possible. So many times this trip we've wasted crucial possessions out of time outs and I can't understand why.

Are we drawing up plays to wait to the last minute and hoist a 26-footer, sometimes wasting ten or fourteen seconds on the play clock before doing so?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
speedythief said:
My opinion of Mitchell has changed a little since before we embarked on that West road swing.

I don't understand a lot of the things he's doing. Substitution patters are a little odd but they are justifiable in that he's playing the guys he's comfortable with, guys he thinks will do their job correctly.

It's the playcalling that really concerns me. Nothing he calls out of a time out either a) materializes or b) is possible. So many times this trip we've wasted crucial possessions out of time outs and I can't understand why.

Are we drawing up plays to wait to the last minute and hoist a 26-footer, sometimes wasting ten or fourteen seconds on the play clock before doing so?
exactly!
We know Sam is going to play who he wants, he's the damn coach, and it's tough to justify having a rookie on the court when a proven vet in sitting beside you. It's the play-calling that drives me nuts! Design a play, or not, I'll let you have some of my old one's Sam, just do something.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
why don't we just merge all the Mitchell related threads into one big thread named "Mitchell sucks"...since every mitchell related threads nowadays are about this topic.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
RaptorsFan2005 said:
It's the fourth quarter and we are up or very close. Jalen Rose is playing like garbage and can't hit anything. What does he do, he takes out the young guys who are playing great ot put in a cold-shooting Rose and Peterson. Play the guys that have earned it.

I have thought alot about that and there is only one thing that makes sense.

Sam and Babs want to purge the fan base of any residual loyalty that these two guys may have because when they are gone (any the will be) Babs does not want to hear any double talk about how stupid he was for trading them.

Right now we can see beyond the shaddow of a doubt what they are - > guys who loose 4th quarter leads when they are the primary vets. Rose is a loser and so is Mo Pete.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sam Mitchell is assistant coach status, just there to mentor the players and give them advice. We need a coach who sees the game in X's and O's, with set plays for anyone who can score, with set plays out of the time out and ideas and strong words for the forth quarter. Leadership reflects attitude, and it seems like this guy just has abstract ideas, ie. PLAY HARD DEFENSE, TAKE THE BALL TO THE HOLE, but nothing specifically planned up...

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Man it is so funny how raptors fans have turned to hypocritical. I mean doing his job is hard, which is what you guys have to realize. We always act like we know what to do and what they are doing wrong. In some cases we are right but in most we are wrong and it is easy to say what he has done wrong. Most times the changes wouldn’t even matter, as we would have lost anyways. I love the Raptors and I have been a Raptors fan since I was 7 remembering how we beat Michael Jordan and the Bulls twice and the only good player we had was Damon. But we got to realize that he is trying to figure out what line up will come up big in the 4th quarter. Once he finds that line up out they will probably be used the most in that situation.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Maybe I can't help but look for someone to blame, but we completely cluster****ed two plays in the final minute, both out of timeouts. Our plays are to have our guards avoid screen and rolls, flail around, and find someone open from 24 feet with no more than two seconds on the shot clock?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I hate when people do this, they don't take responsibility for thier actions. It esspecially gets to me when it happens in sports. It's never the players fault, the players who are getting paid millions to play and to win games. It's funny how that works it's never the players who are getting blamed for the terrible season it's always someone elses fault whether it be Rob Babcock, Richard Pettie or in this case Sam Mitchell. If you've watched any Raptors game this season you would notice how often Mitchell is yelling at his players from the sidelines. I dont belive that Mitchelle does yells just for the hell of it, he yells because the players are not playing the game with 100% intensity. At some point it has to stop being Mitchells fault. Sure somethimes you can question his subsituation patterns or his handling of struggling players, but I honestly belive that games are not decided by any of these problems, games are decided by the players who go out and play the game. The players who take bad shots, the players who turn the ball over, the players who come out and give it a half *** effort too often.

So no the games the Raptors lost were not because of Sam Mitchell they were lost because of each player who took the court and decided to take a play off, the player who decided not too run the floor, the player who took the bad shot and the player who decided that the name on the back of his jersey was more inportant then the one on the front. If your looking too blame someone for the losses dont look at Sam Mitchell look at the Raptors roster and pick one from there.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
shookem said:
/\/\/\
then how do you explain a 23 foot jump off an inbound pass?
Mitchell is losing my confidence.
Ask the player who took the shot. You think Mitchell told the Raps in the huddle "alright boys lets go out there and take a 23 jump foot"?

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
superdude211 said:
Ask the player who took the shot. You think Mitchell told the Raps in the huddle "alright boys lets go out there and take a 23 jump foot"?
Once is by chance. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is unlikely. Four or more times: pattern.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Hey im not saying I think he is the best coach because I really never fully supported him from the start. However, it is really hard when your best players aren't playing their best. Jalen Rose, Morris Peterson haven't been playing well this season. So it is diffcult for him to judge which players should go on in the 4th quarter. I do agree with Speedy and the rest of you in this thread. I also do believe that joey should be given more minutes. Sam is just so inconsistent and I agree with that.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Sam's done a good job in turning hardcore supporters, myself included, against him this year, not only because of his lackadasical playcalling, but his horrific rotations as well.

With that said, it's not fully his fault we're 1-14, and I don't believe he should be fired yet. But he plays a big role, obviously.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
superdude211 said:
It's the job of a coach to control and get the most out of his players, it is also he's job to know all their abilities and to call plays that will work with those abilities.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
speedythief said:
Once is by chance. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is unlikely. Four or more times: pattern.
Once is by chance. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is unlikely. Four or more times: stupid players

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
shookem said:
It's the job of a coach to control and get the most out of his players, it is also he's job to know all their abilities and to call plays that will work with those abilities.
There's a point were it stops being the coaches responsibility, theres a time were the players who go out on the court hafve to be responsible. Mitchell can't walk on the floor like he's coaching in tyke and grab the players and move them were they're supposed to be and tell them when to take a shot, it's a players mindset "that well im open screw my team-mate whos got a better shot or is on a roll im gonna try and get mine"

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It's taking the easy way out to blamer the coach it give players the exscuse to slack off and not give it there all. They're gonna think well the front office isn't gonna move me cause im gettin paid millions so I can do whatever I want without concequence

1 - 19 of 19 Posts