Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Syracuse won 82-68. That's 6 losses out of confernece. Nice showing Mizzou!

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
7 brief observations

1. Quin Snyder just about cried on national television near the end of the game. I was actually feeling a bit sorry for him for a second. Then I thought about how much money he makes and resumed making fun of him with my roommate.
2. Rickey Paulding can be a great player if he slashed to the bucket on a regular basis, like he did this game.
3. Arthur Johnson is HIGHLY overrated. I've been saying this for years.
4. Craig Forth had a career game tonight. That's right -- Craig Forth.
5. Gerry McNamara is a stud, hands down. He's one of my favorite college players. Lavin nailed it when he said that he's a hybrid of Scott Skiles and Mark Price.
6. Hakim Warrick is an average player when he forces the issue, and a very, very good one when he relaxes and gets on a roll.
7. My roomate and I were doing the math tonight, and as it stands right now with MU at 6-6 (likely 6-8 by next week, as their next games are Oklahoma and Texas), MU will most likely not make the tournament this year.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!

No doubt - that four point win against Texas A&M at home no less, had them amongst the elite again.
FIVE point win junior.......all the more impressive;)

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
"Syracuse is a good team and when you can't stop them it's
hard to win." -- Quin Snyder

DUH.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>pharcyde</b>!

Mizzou's in this game if they shoot just 25% from three (actually that would've put them up by a few points). They were 5-27. They won't shoot that poorly very often. Should they have won this game? Obviously not. But it should've been a lot closer.
Seriously, just slow down for a second and think about this: WHAT THE HELL IS MISSOURI DOING SHOOTING 27 THREE-POINT SHOTS? What are they shooting that many shots for if A.) they aren't hitting any and B.) they have a very good (and deep) frontcourt that receives a whole hell of a lot fewer looks than it should? Ever think about these things?

Sure, not many teams are going to beat a top 25 opponent shooting 5-27 from behind the arc. But the question you have to ask yourself is, Why is Mizzou shooting 27 three-pointers in the first place? Quin's sit-on-the-perimeter-and-dribble-or-shoot offense is reaching an atrocious level of ineffectiveness given the talent he has running said "offense".

Quin has no clue how to coach. Period. He can sell his program, he can recruit (though his methods are still in question), he can dress and groom like a GQ cover model...but he has no clue how to coach a team.*

*For more information, see: Lavin, Steve.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!

Seriously, just slow down for a second and think about this: WHAT THE HELL IS MISSOURI DOING SHOOTING 27 THREE-POINT SHOTS? What are they shooting that many shots for if A.) they aren't hitting any and B.) they have a very good (and deep) frontcourt? Ever think about that?

Sure, not many teams are going to beat a top 25 opponent shooting 5-27 from behind the arc. But the question you have to ask yourself is, Why is Mizzou shooting 27 three-pointers? Quin's sit-on-the-perimeter-and-dribble-or-shoot offense is reaching an atrocious level of ineffectiveness given the talent he has running said "offense".

Quin has no clue how to coach. Period. He can sell his program, he can recruit (though his methods are still in question), he can dress and groom like a GQ cover model...but he has no clue how to coach a team.*

*For more information, see: Lavin, Steve.
True, we never should've taken that many outside shots, but the fact still remains that if we would've made just slightly bad instead of flat out terrible percentage of our shots we would've been right with them. We definitely should've gone inside more but without more than a player or two who can make a decent entry pass it's hard, especially against Syracuse's zone.

As for our coaching, I think it's more that Quin's too much of a wuss to take out Paulding than it is his offense. I doubt Quin's dumb enough to actually think he shouldn't look inside a bit more than we did and even if he is that dumb he at least is smart enough to realize after the fact that maybe he should've tried to get the team to look inside a bit more. I really think our current players just don't listen to him, though (and not really even listening, it's just that they're not smart players at all), and for some reason he still won't take them out.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Re: 2 transfers?

Those transfer rumors are bogus. The only two players I could see leaving are Kleiza and McKinney, but I doubt either will. If Kleiza does leave he'd probably go pro, not transfer to another school, but the caller said they were going to transfer so I doubt it's him (although he's seemed frustrated all season long. Personally I think he's just having trouble accepting the fact that he can't shoot it every time he gets the ball like he did for his Lithuanian team. He probably could average 20+ points a game, but that wouldn't help the team any more). McKinney's probably the most likely guy to transfer. Half of St. Louis is in his ear telling him how great he is and what he should do, but he's really not as good as everyone (myself included) hyped him up to be, at least not right now. He could get there, but he's not at that point yet. Gardner's been playing a lot recently and been playing well. I doubt he leaves. Laurie was going to walk on to help the team and planned on redshirting. I doubt the lack of playing time is bothering him too much and I highly doubt he'll transfer. Young hasn't done a whole lot to earn more PT than he's been getting (although he does play better man to man defense than any other post players on the roster).

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

True, we never should've taken that many outside shots, but the fact still remains that if we would've made just slightly bad instead of flat out terrible percentage of our shots we would've been right with them. We definitely should've gone inside more but without more than a player or two who can make a decent entry pass it's hard, especially against Syracuse's zone.
What you're saying is, if a team makes more shots than they do in a particular game, the game will be closer in the end. Novel concept. :D I could say that in regards to free throw shooting the last time Kansas played Syracuse as well.......

In regards to Quin's proficiency as a coach, and keeping in mind his career results thus far (especially this season), he is either:

A.) a bad coach
B.) a coach who doesn't relate to the players he recruits, or
C.) both

I pick C, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
McKinney's probably the most likely guy to transfer. Half of St. Louis is in his ear telling him how great he is and what he should do, but he's really not as good as everyone (myself included) hyped him up to be, at least not right now. He could get there, but he's not at that point yet.
What does being from da Lou have to do with him making his basketball decision's?.. The kid's never been a follower.. If he had been, he'd of took Irons and his family's advice to heart and not gone to Columbia in the first place.. Your paragraph make's me wonder where your head is at.. McKinney has sacrificed his game.. his number's and his own progress for the sake of the program the last 2 year's, by playing outta position.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I agree with Natty Dreadlockz in regards to McKinney. J-Mac seems like a quality guy, someone not fickle enough to give up on a program in a situation like Mizzou's right now.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!

What does being from da Lou have to do with him making his basketball decision's?.. The kid's never been a follower.. If he had been, he'd of took Irons and his family's advice to heart and not gone to Columbia in the first place.. Your paragraph make's me wonder where your head is at.. McKinney has sacrificed his game.. his number's and his own progress for the sake of the program the last 2 year's, by playing outta position.
What were we talking about in a PM again before? I told you.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!

What you're saying is, if a team makes more shots than they do in a particular game, the game will be closer in the end. Novel concept. :D I could say that in regards to free throw shooting the last time Kansas played Syracuse as well.......

In regards to Quin's proficiency as a coach, and keeping in mind his career results thus far (especially this season), he is either:

A.) a bad coach
B.) a coach who doesn't relate to the players he recruits, or
C.) both

I pick C, but that's just my opinion.
What I'm saying is that the game would have been closer if they would've made even a bad percentage of their outside shots. That does not mean I think they should've won, just that we didn't lose because of Quin necessarily (launching threes isn't a great strategy, but it could've worked). Obviously that applies to most games, but this one especially as they shot just 5-27.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts

I didn't say being from St. Louis had anything to do with his decision making on the court, but you know as well as anyone that Floyd Irons is very influential in St. Louis and is probably letting McKinney know that he could star at another school, and I used to go to school with some cousins of McKinney's and they told me that they were always telling him he should play at SLU. Whether or not he actually listens to everyone I don't know, but there are a lot of people who think they know what's best for him, which leads me to believe he could transfer if he breaks under their pressure.

Also, it's possible that the caller who started the transfer rumors had a source saying someone would indeed leave the program. But that source could've been someone like Irons who could be telling McKinney to leave. Irons is definitely a source close to Jimmy, but that doesn't mean he's actually going to leave.

Personally I don't think anyone's going to transfer, but if anyone does he's probably the most likely.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I didn't say being from St. Louis had anything to do with his decision making on the court, but you know as well as anyone that Floyd Irons is very influential in St. Louis and is probably letting McKinney know that he could star at another school, and I used to go to school with some cousins of McKinney's and they told me that they were always telling him he should play at SLU. Whether or not he actually listens to everyone I don't know, but there are a lot of people who think they know what's best for him, which leads me to believe he could transfer if he breaks under their pressure.
I know your not naive enough to think that he'd give a **** about what the people around him consider what's best for career.. McKinney's got a mind of his own and has made his own decision's for quit some time now.. To be honest with ya.. Coach Floyd's influence on him all along has been nothing more than a father figure.. Let's be real though.. Transfering to SLU now, wouldn't ease his dissappointment with his clock.. Begining next season, SLU's point and wing position's will be as loaded as Mizzou's in term's of depth and talent.

Also, it's possible that the caller who started the transfer rumors had a source saying someone would indeed leave the program. But that source could've been someone like Irons who could be telling McKinney to leave. Irons is definitely a source close to Jimmy, but that doesn't mean he's actually going to leave.
You know as well as I do that you can't pay any attention to rumor's that aren't backed up by credible source's or fact's.. Do you remember the tampering allegation's and resulting inquiries into the Conley and Albert White transfer's to Mizzou?.. It doesn't make me wonder, it confirm's that whoever the source is, is not in the loop.. Otherwise.. Why in the hell would a close friend.. family member or former coach of McKinney's leak this info, when it could result in unecessary trouble's?

Personally I don't think anyone's going to transfer, but if anyone does he's probably the most likely.
I agree with the first part of your sentence.. It'd be a bad move for any of the underclassman with the exception of Laurie to transfer.. Mainly because, McKinney(sg).. Gardner(sf).. Kleiza(pf)will be in the starting lineup next year.. Conley's defense is suspect as hell and his offense is average, those are the main reason's he'll continue to ride the pine.. Pulley's handle's and distribution aren't worthy of being a starter, he'll be a backup or possibly outta the rotation, the minute Horton arrive's in Columbia.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts

I know your not naive enough to think that he'd give a **** about what the people around him consider what's best for career.. McKinney's got a mind of his own and has made his own decision's for quit some time now.. To be honest with ya.. Coach Floyd's influence on him all along has been nothing more than a father figure.. Let's be real though.. Transfering to SLU now, wouldn't ease his dissappointment with his clock.. Begining next season, SLU's point and wing position's will be as loaded as Mizzou's in term's of depth and talent.

You know as well as I do that you can't pay any attention to rumor's that aren't backed up by credible source's or fact's.. Do you remember the tampering allegation's and resulting inquiries into the Conley and Albert White transfer's to Mizzou?.. It doesn't make me wonder, it confirm's that whoever the source is, is not in the loop.. Otherwise.. Why in the hell would a close friend.. family member or former coach of McKinney's leak this info, when it could result in unecessary trouble's?

I agree with the first part of your sentence.. It'd be a bad move for any of the underclassman with the exception of Laurie to transfer.. Mainly because, McKinney(sg).. Gardner(sf).. Kleiza(pf)will be in the starting lineup next year.. Conley's defense is suspect as hell and his offense is average, those are the main reason's he'll continue to ride the pine.. Pulley's handle's and distribution aren't worthy of being a starter, he'll be a backup or possibly outta the rotation, the minute Horton arrive's in Columbia.
First of all, I realize you're a SLU fan, but no way are they going to be as talented as Mizzou next season. They'll be good, but Liddell and Polk do not compare with Horton and Dandridge.

Secondly, there have been numerous athletes who've let others make their decisions for them. McKinney wouldn't be the first at all. And even if he has managed to completely ignore everything the people of St. Louis have told him in the past, it's not like they just stopped when he decided to come to Mizzou. I'm sure he still hears all the time how he should've gone to SLU or somewhere else other than Mizzou.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts