Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Major League Baseball first year player draft commences shortly (10:00 AM PST), and it can be followed over at mlb.com.

Latest rumblings are that the Royals will go with Pitcher Luke Hochevar with the first overall pick, passing on the consensus top-talent, Andrew Miller. Hochevar was drafted 40th overall last year by the Dodgers, but failed to sign.

Miller, a left hander from the University of North Carolina, is said to be looking for a signing bonus upwards of 8 million dollars, and most teams are backing off of him. Rumors abound that Miller's agent is actually trying to lower his stock so he slips to the Cubs at pick #13.

Most mock drafts at this point have are predicting a top five of Hochevar, Greg Reynolds (P) to the Rockies, Brad Lincoln (P) to the Devil Rays, Evan Longoria (3B) to Pittsburg, and Brandon Morrow (P) to Seattle.

Should Miller slip to Seattle, and they fail to select him, I will probably spend the remainder of my day breaking things in my office.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Wait wait... did you just say Evan Longoria? Am I the only person hoping he becomes an MLB level player before Eva's 15 minutes of fame run out?

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Whooooooooo-hoo~! I just noticed that Andrew Miller slipped to sixth! Gooo TIGERS~!

(sorry, hafta brag now before he inevitably blows out his elbow, as Zumaya, Verlander, and Bonderman are also destined to do)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ChrisWoj said:
Whooooooooo-hoo~! I just noticed that Andrew Miller slipped to sixth! Gooo TIGERS~!

(sorry, hafta brag now before he inevitably blows out his elbow, as Zumaya, Verlander, and Bonderman are also destined to do)
Shoot me. Now. Morrow? Over Miller, Scherzer, and Lincecum? I hate my team.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
I feel for you... Especially after reading this quote about Miller on Yahoo! Sports...

"We faced him in fall scrimmages, and you just can't hit his slider," Steed said. "It's hard to describe. It's going 82 mph, and the way it bites at the end. He struck out a guy swinging on a slider that hit his leg."
Thats the type of **** that gets me excited about a draft pick!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ChrisWoj said:
I feel for you... Especially after reading this quote about Miller on Yahoo! Sports...

Thats the type of **** that gets me excited about a draft pick!
Detroit's rotation is going to be awesome in a couple of seasons.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
I dont know much but thoughts on the Cards draft so far?

30. RHP Adam Ottavino, Northeastern U
42. RHP Chris Perez, U Miami
54. LHP Thomas Furnish, TCU
74. OF Jonathan Jay, U Miami
106. RHP Gary Daley, Cal Poly
136. RHP Edward Degerman, Rice U

I like most of the picks but I'd like to know more about some of them.. I love the Perez pick more than any of the others honestly.. dont know why but he's a potential closer..

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian34Cook said:

I like most of the picks but I'd like to know more about some of them.. I love the Perez pick more than any of the others honestly.. dont know why but he's a potential closer..

I can't help you out there, BC. Outside of the first 10-20 prospects I'm just clueless. MLB.com has a decent draft tracker that provides scouting info on most early picks.

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Brian34Cook said:

I don't know any of them but It is pitcher heavy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts