Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bud Selig said two unidentified teams are in deep financial trouble. Selig stated Wednesday that one team might not be able to make payroll Monday, while another debt-ridden team might not finish the season. He said the identity of the team in debt "will surprise you."

Who do you think the 2 teams are going to be? I seriously think one of them is going to be Toronto or Texas. Toronto's struggling on the field, they have low attendance, and are still paying a part of Mondesi and Delgado's full contracts.

As for Texas, they're one of the worst teams in the league, and have tons of contracts to pay (Rodriguez, Everett, Rocker, Palmeiro..etc).

I think Kansas, Tampa and Minnesota might be other choices...

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the D-Backs. Didn't Colangelo say they were having money problems. I thought there was a big ordeal over this is the offseason. But, if I had to guess I would say Tampa Bay and Toronto.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by jvanbusk
I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the D-Backs. Didn't Colangelo say they were having money problems. I thought there was a big ordeal over this is the offseason. But, if I had to guess I would say Tampa Bay and Toronto.
I dont see why it would be the D'Backs. Didn't they make millions of dollars from the championship merchandise last year? And aren't they drawing huge attendance numbers every night? I just dont see one of the teams being Arizona...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Texas? No way.

Tom Hicks also owns the Dallas Stars and they signed Bill Guerin, Phillipe Boucher and Scott Young last week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't think its the White Sox even though it seems like they never go out and spend anything

But I do think its the Marlins and Devil Rays

ESPN has already said that ever player on thier team can be had by trade except for Beckett, and Devil Rays said they will trade players just for cash if they could

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
I know for sure is Tampa Bay

Other Possiblities are:
Arizona
Toronto

I live in KC, and no we are not in that kind of debt. I have friends who work in the Royals accounting office, and they said no.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts