Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major League Baseball umpire Jim Joyce is being hailed as a hero for making a life-saving call before the first pitch had even been thrown at a game between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Miami Marlins.

Joyce, 56, was heading to the umpire's dressing room on Monday night at Phoenix's Chase Field when he saw a stadium employee begin to shake and collapse to the ground, according to MLB.com.

Joyce, a 24-year veteran umpire, did not immediately respond to a request for comment today, but he told his story to MLB.com.

"I knew something was wrong," Joyce told MLB.com. "And I knew if something wasn't done, this lady could actually die in front of me. It was more instinct than anything else."

Joyce began performing CPR on the woman to the tune of "Staying Alive," which is often used to time the chest compressions during the maneuver.

While Joyce was performing CPR, Marlins bullpen coordinator Jeffrey Urgelles arrived to help. Urgelles was a firefighter and paramedic in Florida.

A first-responder arrived with an automatic external defibrillator (AED), which they used while Joyce continued CPR.

The woman, Jayne Powers, was eventually taken by ambulance to Good Samaritan Hospital where she regained consciousness.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/mlb-umpire-jim-joyce-hailed-hero-saving-life/story?id=17056753#.UDXC_KM3Yys
He has taken a lot of flake since the perfect game that wasn't fiasco, but major props to him.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
It was a perfect game. It WAS. Case closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts