Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting very very agitatted with Mo yesterday. I like Mo, I don't think he should be fired, but he has to be one of the worst coaches at protecting the lead in the fourth quarter.

Normally I say it's the players and what not, but yesterday Zach and Darius combined for around 24 points in th third quarter, and stretched the lead form 2 to 15 I believe. Then as a reward, Zach only played the last 6 minutes and Darius didn't play at all in the fourth. Instead Reuben Patterson IIRC played the whole 4th quarter and a the end of the 3rd, and did very very little.

Miles' numbers don't reflect it, but this team flat out plays better when he is on the floor.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I agree fully. Mo has horrible substitution patterns. But then again it is a new system and he's just bringing Miles along slowly?

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Slow down.

We are winning. Remember this before you start yellin.

What if Miles had played the 4th qtr and made a bunch of costly turnovers and missed game winning FTs? It could have happened. A strong third qtr doesn't guarantee a strong 4th qtr.

Cheeks is working Miles into this team slowly. There's no reason to put Miles on the spot like that so soon and then make the fans mad at him when he still hasn't been around much to really know this team very well yet.

Cheeks is protecting Miles a bit. See, as long as Miles is out for the 4th, you can imagine how great he would be if he was in there. But if he went in there and messed up, you'd already be wondering if we should re-sign him.

I hear you. I want Miles out there all the time too.

But if we're winning, is it worth complaining about? I don't think so.

Believe Harder

P.S. You said had almost no chance of going 26-34 this season. Do you still feel that way now that we are 24-25?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Slow down.

What if Miles had played the 4th qtr and made a bunch of costly turnovers and missed game winning FTs? It could have happened. A strong third qtr doesn't guarantee a strong 4th qtr.

Cheeks is working Miles into this team slowly. There's no reason to put Miles on the spot like that so soon and then make the fans mad at him when he still hasn't been around much to really know this team very well yet.

Cheeks is protecting Miles a bit. See, as long as Miles is out for the 4th, you can imagine how great he would be if he was in there. But if he went in there and messed up, you'd already be wondering if we should re-sign him.

Believe Harder

P.S. You said had almost no chance of going 26-34 this season. Do you still feel that way now that we are 24-25?
Well IMO Seattle wouldn't have been able to sustaine the run the put on with Miles out there. So far DFarius hasn't proven that he all of a sudden will start turning the ball over like crazy, in fact he plays with much higher IQ and takes care of the ball alot better than RP.

I don't think a team should go away from what's working. I am glad they won yesterday, but it shouldn't have even been close.

BTW as far as me saying they wouldn't get to 26-34, Hey I'm as excited as anyone that they have done what they have to get where they are. When I posted that they had just lost 10 of 12, so I don't see how you can find fault in my statements, but oh well too each his own.

Anyway I'm extremely impressed by where they are and how they are playing. Keep it up but Mo has got to stick with what's working.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
we've been winning a lot of games lately, so it's hard to complain. (and believe me, I LIKE to complain.)

that said, I am going to be the first guy to start whining the minute we lose a close one with Miles on the bench.

he's just a much better help defender than Patterson, which is critical in covering for Zach's mistakes. this more than makes up for Patterson's superior man defense.

he's a better ball handler/passer, which gets the ball out of Damon's hands quicker (always a good thing.) the offense just looks more fluid with him out there.

he's even a better jump shooter, which is a shock to me. he was billed to be a poor shooter, but he's been dead on with the midrange game since coming here. even his missed three pointers are less painful to watch than Patterson's.

both are great finishers. both run like hell on every break. both are fantastic shot blockers for SF's.

I strongly suspect that Patterson is getting so many minutes just to maintain team harmony. Patterson has done a great job of handling the whole Randolph punch thing, and Cheeks may feel his energy is too valuable to risk de-motivating him.

that said, Miles could easily be a 40 mpg guy on this team, and should be a lot closer to that than the 24 mpg Cheeks gives him.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I was yelling at the tv during the 4th qurater to take Dale out repeatedly when our lead was being shrunk,and Ruben didn't really have a good game at all.DMiles needed to be in there. He has been wit hthe team long enough to get meaningful 4th quarter minutes. DMiles just makes this team go.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
In my opinion, there's a pretty easy answer to the problem: Play both of them. Miles at the 3 and Patterson at the 2. Rubes doesn't have much of an outside shot, but he's more than capable of guarding 2's and can make up for shooting by taking his guy down low or running him up and down the floor. Besides, it's not like DA is the most consistent outside threat this season.

That would be an extremely athletic lineup. Some of the better defenders in the league at the 2, 3, and 5 spots should make for a respectable squad.

Dan

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
In my opinion, there's a pretty easy answer to the problem: Play both of them. Miles at the 3 and Patterson at the 2. Rubes doesn't have much of an outside shot, but he's more than capable of guarding 2's and can make up for shooting by taking his guy down low or running him up and down the floor. Besides, it's not like DA is the most consistent outside threat this season.

That would be an extremely athletic lineup. Some of the better defenders in the league at the 2, 3, and 5 spots should make for a respectable squad.

Dan
I think the outside shooting would be even scryer than it is now, but if you have a good cushion, getting to the rim and putting preassure on the defense from a foul standpoint can be even more important than the occasional 3 bomb.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Slow down.

Believe Harder

I couldn't agree more. Of course I'd love to see Miles play the 4th quarter, but my fear is that he's not capable of executing in close ball games down the stretch....at least not yet. He's never proven he's that kind of player, and up until now he's played exclusively for losing teams. He needs to learn from our Vets what it takes to be a winner at the NBA level. He'll get his chance. Hey, he's starting, and the Blazers are 7-1 with him starting. I won't complain just yet. I think Mo has done an excellent job with Miles so far.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I think the outside shooting would be even scryer than it is now
Definitely, but Ruben knows his offensive strengths and is one of the best percentage shooters on the team.

I wouldn't start him under that scenario, though. I'd stick with DA and Miles as starters for balance, but use Ruben as a disruptive force at both positions. Split the minutes something like:

Miles - SF - 30
Miles - SG - 5

Patterson - SG - 18
Patterson - SF - 10

Anderson - SG - 25

Give Qyntel some mop up minutes at SF...

With Rasheed at center instead of Dale, the team really only has one consistent low post presence (Zach) on the floor regularly. No reason why a second one (Ruben) can't coexist, with Darius used more as the mid-range slasher.

Dan

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
True. He could probably fill in a few minutes at both positions. Maybe 5-10 at each. Shave a couple off DA and Ruben's SG minutes and let Wes and Qyntel fight for the scraps at the SF.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Schilly- Just because we had been through hard times is no reason to give up on the team.

My initial point was to show you that in 96, we were 26-34 and had obviously played crappy ball to get to that point but we didn't give up and we still made the playoffs.

So when this team was 17-24, I told you all not to give up, and you were like "well, this team isn't as good as that team." And I was like "how can you say that so early?" And you were like "Well I doubt this team will even go 9-10 to get to that point." You missed the point completely. Who thought the 96 team would suddenly win 18 out of 22? Only the true believers. And that was MY point. Don't give up. It was way too early in the season to say that the season was over.

Believe HARDER

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I had given up, I doubt I would be posting in here. I never gave up just thought it unlikely based on the current trend at the time to say it was a reasonable expectation.

I'm glad I was wrong, but good grief I said it 2 weeks ago.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Btw here is a virtual pat on the back and a cookie.

I can only think of one other poster so willing to toot his own horn.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Okay, so if current trends determine how you think this team will play, does that mean you now think we will win 50 games?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, so if current trends determine how you think this team will play, does that mean you now think we will win 50 games?
Give it a rest.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'll tell ya when the smoke clears for me is when we beat the Nuggs like a step child on their court followed up with the Grizz and the Celtics.

Beating LA, Sac and the Spurs is great but the teams above get us into the playoffs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts