Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....how come he invariably makes remarks such as, "I just don't know how to deal with this"....or, "maybe that's the problem"....to, "we shoulda done this"...or, "we probably really need to do that"?

Hell-o?! With all due respect, why can't the guy just peel away the layers......be assertive, succinct, tactical, and - to put it very simply - just LEAD this team? Geez!.....He seems to always be searching and groping for answers or clues - and it's become increasingly frustrating and painful for me to listen to, and deal with - day after day....after day...after......! Ughhh!

"Sometimes, I think you can be in a situation like we are in now where I think you get a little stagnant and maybe something changes it up," Cheeks said. "Maybe it's a trade. Maybe that would change it up."

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Ringbearer</b>!

...Or maybe Mo, a change of starting lineups. Maybe going away from 2 pg's and 3 PF's - Maybe that would change it up.
Yeah, it seems that when Mo does make changes, it's from a level of exasperation...... accompanied with remarks such as, "I'm tired of this! I'm gonna do ________ and if the guys don't like it, tough! I'M the coach around here!"

Personally, I'd just like to see him matter-of-factly make his moves - without all the fanfare and explanation.

For the record, while understanding Mo's frustrations with Bonzi and going "public" with the ordeal, I did take some criticism in sticking up for Mo. However (dkap) I have since acquiesced and - to a degree - backed down on that stance. Thus, I'm becoming more and more decided that Mo is still a bit immature in dealing with various issues and conflicts and could really stand to seek some guidance to help him improve in this area.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I agree, ABM. Cheeks always seems to come across as a "Poor Me" kind of guy. He's never quite able to understand the events swirling around the team, and nothing seems to be in his control. He has a tired resignation that this is just the way things are, and, "Gee, what can I do about it?" I'm afraid that he is a total patsy for the organization. In 3 years in Portland, he has not put his stamp on the team, or even established his own identity. What kind of a coach is Mo Cheeks? I really couldn't tell you. He seems like a cipher to me. A nice guy, yes, but also a company man, an empty suit.

Oh, and I love this quote from Ruben Patterson:

"Rasheed is a big piece of our team. I know the people and the fans of Portland love Rasheed because he is a great player. And we love him, too. Hopefully, he will stay."
A "great" player?? Hmmm. A great bonehead is more like it. And yes, I'm sure when Wallace is traded the Portland fans will go into mourning. There will be an outpouring of grief the likes of which have never been seen! (sarcasm off)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I totally agree with both of you on this...

Cheeks has never once seemed confident of any move the entire time he's been here. Not surprising, since he hasn't made many good ones...

I think Pippen was the defacto coach the last couple of years. Now it's Damon - no wonder...

"Hey Damon, what do you think about putting a shooting guard in the lineup?"

"ya uhmmm I thought I was uhmmm the shooting guard... this lineup is great, keep it!"

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Mo needs some guts. Chuck Daily would sit Zach until he plays harder/smarter on defense. He would bench Damon as well. It's always nice to have a coach the players like & respect, but I'm thinking we need one to kick some fannies and teach them how to play.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I'm not sure that the players like or respect Mo in particular...

I think they liked him at first, but I don't see much evidence for that currently.

As far as respect, they may respect him as a person and former player, but I wonder if they respect him as a coach.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The sense I get is that he's good ol' Mo. He knows the game, has a ring, but if he's teacing- they aren't learning. Therefore, time to change players and/or coach. Maybe they aren't listening hard enough to him.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Ringbearer</b>!

..As far as respect, they may respect him as a person and former player, but I wonder if they respect him as a coach.
I guess he's kinda like a babysitter - some respect is there, but the intentions and notions of having a good time still apply.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I think what's really disappointed me this year about Cheeks (aside from the undendingly depressing body language he exudes from the bench) is his complete lack of willingness to experiment this year.

we've lost seven of the last nine games, including losses to the Raptors, Clippers and Cavs.

the only adjustment he's made in that time is to realize that with Wallace not playing, somebody else must. that's not exactly proactive.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I've said all along, Cheeks just isn't a head coach... Slide him back to an assistant position and he'll do a great job, but you simply can't excel at something you don't have the skill set for.

Dan

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
Huh...Maybe this cast just isn't coachable.
Maybe, or maybe not. Why is Portland standing by a guy who's repeatedly failed to be as good as Dunleavy, his predecessor? Mike managed to get to a couple conference finals with a team that was about as good as the team was last year (this year's a bit different, obviously).

Other NBA teams don't stand for poor performance, and the coach is the first one fired. Frank Johnson. Bill Cartwright. Doc Rivers. The list goes on and one.

In two of the three above cases, there has been a coaching change AND a major trade.

In Portland? An extension for Cheeks.

I'm not saying that Cheeks should be fired or even that he ought not speculate about trades (although I think it's similar to a player speculating about a coach being fired--not smart and not cool). I AM saying I don't understand why Cheeks is handled with kid gloves while the rest of the NBA seems to have a different set of expectations from their coach.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think there are a few reasons why Cheeks is handled with "kid gloves". The first is that his predecessor was, literally, mutinied against. The mutineers were led by Pippen (who's gone). Mo, if nothing else, came in and stabilized a very dysfunctional team. He had the usual 'what do I do now' first year head coach problems.

Then, last year, although his overall performance was a bit disappointing, he nearly pulled off a wonderful upset over Dallas in the playoffs. When Philly came calling, and as no decent coach would want to come here, we extended his contract.

Now, it appears he's a bust. But what can management do? Admit the extension was wrong and how it cost Mo his dream job? No. That would be very classless. And besides, nobody wants to coach this group until a few more changes are made.

At this time, we're all stuck. So time & patience will bear us out.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
good points, BP, but you missed the biggest one of all: the National Anthem thing.

that was easily the biggest PR coup for Portland since, well, Pippen came to town. it made the list of "top feel-good sports stories" not just in the NBA, but in the entire American sports world.

given how unpopular the team is, management isn't likely to give up on a coach who brings such great PR. the fact that our coach can't coach really is just a side issue at this point, and will remain so until he continues to fail while coaching somebody other than Sheed.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
EXCELLENT point, wanks. When people think of the "jailblazers", they also remember a coach with a heart of gold. That incident may have single handedly removed a lot of stain from this team.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Talkhard</b>!
I love this quote from Ruben Patterson:

"Rasheed is a big piece of our team. I know the people and the fans of Portland love Rasheed because he is a great player. And we love him, too. Hopefully, he will stay."

A "great" player?? Hmmm. A great bonehead is more like it. And yes, I'm sure when Wallace is traded the Portland fans will go into mourning. There will be an outpouring of grief the likes of which have never been seen! (sarcasm off)
Who is a better judge of what sort of player and person Sheed is and what the Portland fans think... a lone fan who lives on the other side of the country and watches 20 or so games each season on TV, or an actual Trailblazer who has played with and known Sheed personally for years, and who interacts with tens of thousands of fans both in attendence and in the Portland community?

Maybe we should do a poll...

STOMP

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My idea for someone that I think would make a good NBA coach (someday): Steve Kerr :cool:

Smart, gritty, well respected and well liked, no nonsense, great player, really knows the game....

OK, so Mo has the same qualities, so what? ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts