Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to the game a couple of hours before tipoff yesterday instead of my usual last minute.

Watched Moiso and Bradley do shooting drills.

They went around the inside of the 3 point arc, taking about 10 shots each from each position. About an 18-20 foot shot.

Both shot quite well. Moiso had a smoother, more relaxed motion than in games. Bradley has good form and was stroking it nicely.

What surprised me most was that Moiso did ZERO work in the post and Zero short range jumpshooting (10-15 feet).

In one drill JM would actually catch the ball at the 3point arc, do a pump fake, take a dribble in and shoot from the top of the key. Not the type of shot he will EVER get in a game. Useless to practice.

And it was one of the assistant coaches out there working with them. That should not be tolerated. They should be put through drills that simulate game conditions and shoot from where they will get touches during the game. Not one post move from Moiso in the entire pre-game warmup??? Inexcusable.

That is poor coaching.

When Moiso left, Bradley did some nice short range jumpshot drills moving from the left elbow down to the left baseline and back again. About a 14 or 15 foot shot. Drilled between 80 and 90 % of the shots. He looked good although I never got to see him run the court.

Papers today say he will be back after the all-star break.

Alvin, Marshall, Rose, MoP, and Lamond all went through nice pre-game routines. Rose is money from outside when he is set and balanced. No off-balance fadewaways in practice.

Did not see VC, Bax, Arch, or MasonJr out there at all. Could have been even earlier though.

Jay Triano was also stroking the 3's when no players were there to pass to. Smooth and easy.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
I feel like I'm always sticking-up for the coaches on this team.. but I'm going to do it again.

We don't see the Raptors practice, so we don't know what kind of work is being done on Moiso and Brads on a daily basis. I think you should consider that perhaps the pre-game stuff the coaches do with Moiso could be just what they think the most pressing issue with his play is. The coaches could be satisfied with his post and short-range work in practice and might not see a pressing need to work on that right before games, too.

These individual work-outs in pre-game have been going on for a while. Brads has been added to the mix recently now that he is feeling a bit better. But Moiso has had extended personal attention for months. Whatever they do with him before games must be the most necessary activity in the opinion of our coaches.

And Jay Triano is a GOOD shooter. It's funny to see him out there, but he is more skilled than people assume.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't care if Moiso works 6 hours a day on post moves and mid-range jumpers. He should still continue to work on those skills in pre-game drills until he has them so perfected that he is an unstoppable offensive force.

There is NO, NO, NO, and did I say NO reason for him to practice getting the ball at the top of the 3 point arc and taking a 20 foot jumper from the top of the key. If he actually took those kind of shots in a game he would be immediately benched.

If he wants to develop those long-range shooting skills that is fine, but the coaches should insist he first fully develops his inside game. That is what we need, that is what we are paying him for, and that is what we must demand from him.

KO continues to mis-manage Moiso's playing time. After 2 solid games and then another solid half against the Pacers, KO sits him for a long time and then pulls him quickly after one mistake. Only 15 minutes and he still pulled in 11 boards. He also caused other rebounds to end up in VC and DM's hands although he got no credit for those.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
I kinda agree with lucky777s. Workouts right before a game should involve practising of the shots that the player would actually take in the game. All the outside shooting is cool, but is Moiso gonna benefit from that and be able to use that in the game? Don't think so. He's gonna benefit way more if he practises his post moves since it's way more likely for him to use that during the game. That's bad coaching judging from the pre-game workouts only.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
you don't work post moves in a pregame shootaround, players don't do it because you need someone to post up. shooting from the outside gets players loose and warms up their shot. i see nothing wrong here and since KO has been getting great production out of moiso i see no reason to complain.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Also, maybe he does not want give away some of the post moves he has been working on that he plans to use in the game.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skywalker, you know better than that.

I would always see Bateer working on post moves prior to games. And if you watch the other teams working out at the other end of the floor you will see them doing drills that simulate game conditions as well.

This was an individual workout for Moiso and Brads with a coach. I am not talking about layup lines just before tip. Either the coach or Brads could have given Moiso a body to work against in the post.

Why is Moiso missing so many easy jump hooks and inside looks? Probably because he isn't in rhythmn for them and doesn't practice them enough.

Are you and RapsFan telling me that Kareem wouldn't practice a few skyhooks in pre-game or that defenders didn't know that move was coming.

Moiso has some unstoppable shots down low. He just needs to become consistant with them. Can't rely on wide open dunks alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts