Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Moiso out of the doghouse?

450 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  KeonBackinTO 
#1 ·
"Toronto forward Jerome Moiso played for the first time since Dec. 9."

Not a great game but he was perhaps a little bit rusty. (14 mn , 1 rbd , 1 stl).

what does this sudden apparition means?

1-baxter has lost the coach's confidence?
2-Moiso is just about to be traded ,so he has to play and prove he is not broken?
3-Kevin O'Neill has changed his plan?
4-nothing , he will be back soon on the bench. others players just needed to get some rest yesterday?

#4 ·
The move to play Moiso made absolutely no sense.

KO doesn't play the guy for 2 months! and then puts him into a must-win game in the fourth quarter! Just bizarre bench management.

The 76ers had some good length but little muscle up front so the matchup was good for Moiso and maybe not so good for Bax who is everything we need except tall.

Moiso certainly didn't look impressive out there but he also did not hurt the team one bit.

To me, this proves that there was NO reason not to play Moiso at least 5 minutes every game this season. Make the guy prove that he cannot contribute. Don't just assume he can't.

He looked lost at times and did not move his feet very quickly on D rotations or when going to the O boards. But part of that is lack of confidence from not playing.

His lack of rebounding looks bad on the stat sheet but watching the game I have to say that not many rebounds came his direction or were available for him on D. And he did alter some shots in the lane. People knew he was there and had the length to bother them.

He appears to coast up and down the court and I did not like his lack of aggression or quickness going to the O boards.

Still, the team needs to play him to keep our front line fresh and to feature him for trade bait or build him into a more useful player if no better options are available.

#5 ·
Good post Lucky, I felt pretty much the same way - he didn't get scorched on Defense, didn't really do a lot - but he didn't hurt us. So we got 16 mintues with no real negative, and he bought time for Bosh on the bench. I think if he can play enough to get some confidence, he would make a great 2 unit big with Baxter, also would be good beside Bosh - would be a great shotblocking line up.

#6 ·
Moiso 's career is a disapointment so far. I thought , and i was not the only in this case , that his coming in Toronto could be possibly a new start . For any unknown reason he was not a part of the rotation and , as he already done before , he certainly lost his confidence. This man his a big time talent but he has not yet been able to adjust his mental to the pro's requirement. I rode lately a column in a french magazine where the journalists were questioning his old coaches. All them are in accord on some points : He is a great athlete , a nice guy but also very introvert and it prevents him from being as good as he should.His former coach in Ban-et-Lot (guadeloupe) , says that jerome is also "too" courteous. he asserts that moiso wants to be recognised as a good basketballer without speaking , without asking anything. This is also another brake to his career. Another french coach explains that moiso is unable to keep focused all the game. he is sometimes very high and sometimes very low , which is not a thing that coaches like , either. At last , Erik lehman , who coached him in 1996 , says that Moiso's game is just far from being polished enough to allow him to play a signicant role in the League. " he does not have good moves back to the basket. he is deft , a great left hand , but unfortunately , what he lacks the most is work". The message from his former coach in the INSEP , where moiso did learn the game before going to UCLA , is pretty the same : moiso can make some incredible plays and then , make a dramatic mistake . Even T.parker , his teammate in the french N.T , tried to have a dialogue with him back to the european championship this summer. But in spite of his efforts , he did not success and moiso's last games for the N.T were desastrous.
Will he find a coach in the league that wants to make him play?
After Pitino who drafted him , brown who ignored him and Silas that gave him some P.T..his future is still uncertain.

#7 ·
Thanks for that info ballstorm, very interesting stuff.

Are you french yourself? Your english is a little rough but I think everyone will understand your main points.

Sounds like Moiso is really not coachable. He doesn't have the focus or desire to really listen to the people trying to help him.

I am surprised the Raptors didn't talk to these former coaches before signing him this offseason.

Moiso just doesn't have the natural instincts for the game and needs a lot of instruction to improve. Basically, he is still a project.

Not very encouraging news. Gives us some insight on why KO has not been thrilled with him.

#8 ·
Originally posted by <b>lucky777s</b>!
Thanks for that info ballstorm, very interesting stuff.

Are you french yourself? Your english is a little rough but I think everyone will understand your main points.
yes i'm french. And "rough" is appropriate :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.