Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don't understand why so many peeps in this board is so high on this guy?

Many peeps say that he is a great shot blocker? etc. You know what, how many shots can you block in one game? He hasn't shown me that he is a great blocker.

This dude can't hit a lay up if his life depended on it.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
In preseason Moiso showed that he could finish around the basket and also be a shotblocking presence on D. If given a regular amount of playing time, I think we'll see that again. I'm still not sure who I'd rather see get the most minutes, between him, Arch, and Lonny, but I'm leaning towards Baxter.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Speedy,

I love Baxter. He posts up well on O, he fights hard for position, he boxes out pretty well.

But he just doesn't have the length or the hops to get the number of rebounds he 'earns' through his effort. If he had a few more inches of reach I think you could add 3 more boards per game to his totals in limited minutes.

If we commit to giving Baxter the ball on offense for a few post-ups each game then he should get consistant minutes.

If all we want is D and rebounding I really think Arch and Moiso can have more impact.

Moiso did not look great against Philly but he did alter some shots in the paint. And Moiso can finish stronger under the hoop because he can dunk so easily where Bax is more worried about getting blocked.

Moiso has the most potential to impact our D. He needs to play to see if he can deliver. Two week trial before the trade deadline.

His poor rebounding last night was a bit of a fluke. I didn't see any D rebounds that he should have gotten, but missed. There weren't any to be had for him in those minutes.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
I see what you're saying and I don't disagree.

But Arch can't finish, and Moiso doesn't play with much intensity. So there are faults in all three players. I think it might come down to who is still on the team after the trading deadline.

I really liked Moiso in preseason and I'm happy he is getting another chance. But Lonny has been a dynamo for this team so far and he brings-it every night. If Moiso can play like that, he could be 50% of what we are missing inside (the other 50% being, hopefully, Mike Bradley).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Moiso could make the biggest impact to the team, try him out and just hope.

Arch can't finish at all, and Baxter is good energy player.
But Moiso could mean somethign more then 10 mins a game to the team, like Arch or Baxter.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Moiso is baxter's exact opposite. He is easy , talented , soft , and thoroughly inconstant..his lack of spirit is critical ..he is not (will not either?) be acclimated to the pro sport.victory does not matter for him. good guy but not for the game.he can still help but don't count too much on him (i did and i was cruelly disappointed). .Bax is strong and hard nosed. between talent and hard work , i would lean towards the second. .regularity is the key word. At least , a coach knows what Baxter will give him , even if it is not terrific.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KeonBackinTO</b>!
Moiso could make the biggest impact to the team, try him out and just hope.

Arch can't finish at all, and Baxter is good energy player.
But Moiso could mean somethign more then 10 mins a game to the team, like Arch or Baxter.
Why are you so defensive on Moiso? Basically, he's already proven that his NBA skills shouldn't be defended at all, because he's already proven that it's lame. Why did the Raptors sign him? The main reason is probably because he had 1 or 2 MONSTER games in the playoffs last year, and Grunwald highly respected that? Now that is as lame.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Matt, you are probably correct.

Ballstorm posted a great article in the other Moiso thread that interviewed past coaches of his. Not very encouraging.

What Moiso has is the dreaded 'P' word. No, not the female genitalia. I am talking about Potential.

The kid has all the physical gifts you could ask for in a pro baller. Much like a Darius Miles. But Moiso has never really even been given a shot at PT with any team. So he has the additional appeal of a Lampe or Darko or some High School phenom that most of us have never actually seen play. The unknown factor always makes something more interesting.

GM's looking for big men with the physical gifts of a Moiso are much like a lonely, horny guy on a deserted island. If you tell that guy that there is a woman on the next island but the water in between is infested with sharks, that guy will still find a way to get to that island. When he gets there and finds out the woman is 98 years old, toothless, 500 pounds and as stinky as a pile of dung the guy feels like a fool.

But the guy still makes the trip because of the 'Potential' that was in his mind.

Just like desperate GM's draft, sign, and trade for 'potential'.

I would say that GG is about to land on the second island and is just about to see what his 'woman' will look like. Hopefully she is a knockout. But he already is smelling something bad.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
if we could combine arch, baxter, and moiso....

i think moiso should at least get a better chance. baxter got a chance to showcase his stuff, then now arch.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Brads will make his presence felt once he comes back. book it. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lucky777s</b>!

GM's looking for big men with the physical gifts of a Moiso are much like a lonely, horny guy on a deserted island. If you tell that guy that there is a woman on the next island but the water in between is infested with sharks, that guy will still find a way to get to that island. When he gets there and finds out the woman is 98 years old, toothless, 500 pounds and as stinky as a pile of dung the guy feels like a fool.

But the guy still makes the trip because of the 'Potential' that was in his mind.

I would say that GG is about to land on the second island and is just about to see what his 'woman' will look like. Hopefully she is a knockout. But he already is smelling something bad.
;). nice... ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts

What Moiso has is the dreaded 'P' word. No, not the female genitalia. I am talking about Potential.
In france , Moiso is still considered as the best potentiel , either. Better than parker , than pietrus , than diaw. I'm pretty sure that this status did not help him at all. it is important to know that france is looking for a dominant Center for a very long time. Everytime a young big man seems to have some potential , he is (too) rapidly hyped. Remember Fred Weis? (drafted by NY in the first round).

outstanding metaphor Lucky777s :D
More and more players are drafted according to their potential nowdays. It was not so systematic a few years ago , when Moiso was drafted , but it has already begun. So , this (bad) pick just illustrate that the "potential" drafting method is not entirely reliable.
But what method is? jermaine O'neal is a great player now , kornelone young disappeared..the issue is that many GMs must think like : "This player has a tremendous potential , if i don't draft him right now , he will be drafted by another team" . In the same time , the player has always not enough time to developp and to contribute (3-4 years contract). See jermaine O'neal? he never played for Portland. So IMO , it is a bit paradoxical .
Should it be change? a minimum age? would it be constitutional? this is an endless predicament...

·
Registered
7,724 Posts

Ballstorm posted a great article in the other Moiso thread that interviewed past coaches of his. Not very encouraging.

The kid has all the physical gifts you could ask for in a pro baller. Much like a Darius Miles. But Moiso has never really even been given a shot at PT with any team. So he has the additional appeal of a Lampe or Darko or some High School phenom that most of us have never actually seen play. The unknown factor always makes something more interesting.

Very interesting indeed. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!

Why are you so defensive on Moiso? Basically, he's already proven that his NBA skills shouldn't be defended at all, because he's already proven that it's lame. Why did the Raptors sign him? The main reason is probably because he had 1 or 2 MONSTER games in the playoffs last year, and Grunwald highly respected that? Now that is as lame.
Because Moiso has a chance to be pretty good.
He should be played for about 10 mins a game to try and develop him, he really doesn't hurt the team when he is out there.
So if you play and he builds up his great athletic skills, he could turn into a decent player.
He's just a as good as Arch right now and has potential, he's being wasted sitting on the bench.
If he gets constant playing team for the next month, his numbers won't be that bad.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Originally posted by <b>hellbot</b>!
Read in the paper today, O'Neill's playing Moiso just to showcase him before the trade deadline.

Interesting.
link?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts