Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had forgotten that VCU's former point guard Darius Theus was an assistant at Siena. Good to see him last night while I was watching the game. I think he will be a fine head coach one day.

Reactions: JonBoy

· Registered
138 Posts
This team needs a true PG. That's the biggest issue IMO...I really don't think we are a putrid club, but Luc seems more like an undersized combo guard than a true PG. Their offense is so stagnant and we barely score 70 points most nights.

I don't care where you get your transfers from because it doesn't really matter, but you can't miss on your PG if you expect to compete in the A10 or any conference that is decent. We've really had strong guard play since Charlon Kloof 10 years ago. This club doesn't really have that yet, but they will certainly improve as the year goes on.

Not to beat a dead horse, but is there any real reason why Flowers can't spell Banks? Banks has seen the bench in FOUR games this year. FGCU he sat for two mins, UB he sat for one minute, Southern Indiana he sat for an incredible six minutes, and at CC he sat for ONE Minute. By the way, Banks leads the country in MPG by a nice margin.

No way any player, especially one that lives off Hickey cooking, can be an effective player when playing that many minutes.

· Registered
66 Posts
I remember this coming up in the offseason, that Luc was forced into PG at HC vs being a true PG. . If you want to run your offense through combo guards, that can work. Plenty of teams do it now. But you need to adjust your scheme to fit that, and it doesn't seem like we are. That's just as much the issue as not having a true PG, IMO. Were forcing a square peg into a round hole, and it shows at times.

Same applies across the floor. If your prototypical recruit is a 6-5 to 6-8 athlete who's brimming with potential but not great at any single thing yet, why are they locked into one position? If you want to recruit versatility then your scheme needs to be versatile with it. You cant have it both ways. I don't buy the still learning the plays at one position excuse. Not only do I disagree with that approach if it is the truth, it doesnt explain recent years. This trend isn't new this year.

The answer to your last question is No.

· Registered
124 Posts
Kaputo did stick it out, yes, but he couldn’t dribble with his right hand and was an absolute dick when hanging out with Poyser. He also f-d up his sophomore year but the past is the past.
Speaking of the past, when Stockard came back to practice after his injury he dominated all positions of that 18-19 team. Think about that for a second…
The current version does not have anyone close to that and that’s one reason why we are struggling. The last two years have demonstrated that a superstar isn’t always needed to win games but it’s sure damn nice to have one every few years.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts