Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Easy win for the Dukes, who basically led wire to wire. 8-0, best start since 1971-72, which was the last time they appeared in the AP rankings. (They made the coaches ranking in 1975-76) If they win Saturday, it would be their best start since 68-69, a year where they finished in the Top 10. If they make it to 10-0, it would be their best start since they won their first 22 games, and were ranked number 1, way back in 53-54.

·
Piker
8,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I certainly did not expect them to lose any of the games they have played so far.

·
Piker
8,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duquesne has specialized in losing games they weren't expected to lose over the last 40 years, so I'm happy with the results this year.
As you should be. Duquesne is going to be a problem and I have no doubt about that. Very good guards and wings. I have not figured out how your front court will do yet but I will see first hand soon enough.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
As you should be. Duquesne is going to be a problem and I have no doubt about that. Very good guards and wings. I have not figured out how your front court will do yet but I will see first hand soon enough.
The front court is doing very well. Mike Hughes is playing very well in the middle, and Baylee Steele, a 6'11" grad transfer has so far looked better than most of us expected. He's a solid complement to Hughes. Marcus Weathers is an undesized 4, but he's one of those "glue guys" that every team needs. They have no real depth up front though. Rotroff is a project, and coming off a knee injury. He's done nothing so far. The other sophomore big project, Kelly, is also coming off of knee surgery, and has yet to play. They have a 6'11" center, James Ellis, who is thought to have some future potential, but he's not going to do anything this year. I think most of us thought the NIT was the ceiling, and a tough one to reach at that, but the NIT looks to be very much in reach now. To have a shot at the NCAAs other than winning in Brooklyn, they'll probably need to win at least 25 games, maybe 26 to be safe. That would mean finishing 12-0 ooc, and then probably going no worse than 13-5 in league play. That might put them in a spot where one win in Brooklyn would earn them a bid. Have no idea if they can even get close to this. We'll have a better idea after they play SLU, and Davidson at home. They got their first vote in the polls this week. If they stay undefeated, they'll begin to get more. They'll probably need to stay unbeaten through the SLU game to get ranked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts