Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is it and why doesn't he play more?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
SheedSoNasty said:
What exactly is it and why doesn't he play more?
Lack of 'it factor' maybe? Whatever 'it' is... He just seems like an incredible 4th or 5th option and on a team desperately searching for a 3rd scorer. He just doesn't seem to want to take that many shots. I think his minutes are going to increase though. I sometimes forget this is his 9th NBA game, he plays so solidly.

With Outlaw and Monia (and Khryapa) I think we won't see Ruben Patterson again. I'm not sad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,264 Posts
"solid" is exactly the word that comes to mind every time I see him out there. he's probably not going to be an All Star any time in his career, but he just plays a smart, sound game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
theWanker said:
"solid" is exactly the word that comes to mind every time I see him out there. he's probably not going to be an All Star any time in his career, but he just plays a smart, sound game.
. . . which is exactly what this team needs. A guy who can score some, but doesn't demand shots. A guy who can pass, who understands and has a great feel for the game. A guy who can shoot and bring defenses out of soft zones. Monia has a high basketball IQ. I like what I see from him so far. He's a much more complete player than I thought. I don't care that he can't create his own shot. I'll take a guy like Monia on my team any day. He does a lot of things that don't show up in the box score as well like knock passes that would-be assists out of bounce. He's pretty easy to root for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,030 Posts
The way you are describing Monia, he sounds a lot like Shane Battier. Who, incidentally, really seems to have come alive this season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
meru said:
The way you are describing Monia, he sounds a lot like Shane Battier. Who, incidentally, really seems to have come alive this season.
Battier's an excellent comparisson. Maybe with Monia being more offensively sound and Battier a better defender. Same kinds of roles though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
SheedSoNasty said:
Battier's an excellent comparisson. Maybe with Monia being more offensively sound and Battier a better defender. Same kinds of roles though.
Yeah, I agree. Monia is amore athletic too, in my opinion, but they're definitely the same kind of 'mistake free' players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
shane was drafted 6 to monias 23?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Utherhimo said:
shane was drafted 6 to monias 23?
Monia probably would have gone higher if it wasn't for his contract situation with Russia at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
about 10-13
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,469 Posts
Monia would probably be better as a 3 but since we are so short on 2's we use him at the 2. He can be exposed for his lack of quickness on some 2s and this is probably why Nate has not brought him back in on some of the quicker guards. Nate gets the most out of him in the early going it seems. He impresses me as well. This team really has some very good peices of the puzzle with Monia and Travis and Herahapa. (?) Great game by both Monia and Travis.

gatorpops
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,299 Posts
I don't think Monia's aggressive enough yet; how often does he create his own shot? Not very often. A lot of his points come on dishes from the lane.

Monia moves well without the ball, though, and he can get free; it's just a matter of his teammates finding him (and when the ball goes into Zach, that's never a sure bet) and being in the right place at the right time to make a contribution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,572 Posts
SheedSoNasty said:
What exactly is it and why doesn't he play more?
He seems to have some trouble getting the ball into the post sometimes.. maybe 3 out of 4 times, the ball gets stolen or knocked away. I don't think that's the reason why he doesn't play more, but just an observation. He's a good, solid player though, I'm glad he's around.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
765 Posts
I went to lookl up Monia's season stats, and found he's not even listed as a player on NBA.com, neither is Victor Khyrapa. Victor has been in the league for TWO YEARS! Martell is listed, and he's a rookie.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
765 Posts
wastro said:
I don't think Monia's aggressive enough yet; how often does he create his own shot? Not very often. A lot of his points come on dishes from the lane.

Monia moves well without the ball, though, and he can get free; it's just a matter of his teammates finding him (and when the ball goes into Zach, that's never a sure bet) and being in the right place at the right time to make a contribution.

He's not aggressive on offense because he's just not a very effective one on one player yet IMO. So he takes open shots within the offense, and finishes around the hoop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CelticPagan said:
I went to lookl up Monia's season stats, and found he's not even listed as a player on NBA.com, neither is Victor Khyrapa. Victor has been in the league for TWO YEARS! Martell is listed, and he's a rookie.
You can find him if you go to the team site first and look him up through the roster. This is, of course, if you use nba.com for such things.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top