Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rays owner talks future, possible move

FS: Do you think Major League Baseball could work again in Montreal?
SS: Yes. I know it can.

FS: How?
SS: My gut. I was at Olympic Stadium the day after they got Bartolo Colon. I’ve been convinced — this is before I bought the (Rays) — that it would be an incredible place for baseball. That doesn’t mean my baseball team, but a baseball team.

FS: Do you think there will come a day when Montreal has a team again?
SS: In the next five years, no. In the next 20, yes.

FS: An expansion franchise or one that moves there?
SS: I think a franchise (that moves there). I know nothing. There’s no discussions. I don’t see any reason or need or desire for expansion — anytime in the next 10 years, certainly. The stadiums built in the 1990s are 20-year-old stadiums. They’ll be fine for another 20 years. If you look 20 years out, there could be population shifts and separation of corporations. And you need a decent-to-good corporate base to have a successful baseball franchise.

FS: Has the thought ever occurred to you to move your team to Montreal?
SS: I thought about it as a great baseball market. But this is probably three, four years ago. I was asked and pressed about it. I said I could think of seven (viable) places (for relocation). But I’m not looking. I just want to explore my backyard.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/tampa-bay-rays-owner-stuart-sternberg-talks-future-of-franchise-possible-move-evan-longoria-david-price-062213

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
In between 5 and 20 years is a long time from now. So much could change between now and then.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
I think MLB is in a good place right now.. most teams seem to be doing pretty well and I dont see any obvious teams to move any time soon (except for the marlins but their new stadium they robbed from the people will keep them there for a long time)

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Montreal supported that team awfully well for a long time. It's amazing how many great players they developed too, but man that was a brutal stadium to play your home games. You really wonder what the Hawk could have been if he'd not been eaten up by that turf. Not like he wasn't one hell of a player any way, but that turf really beat him down.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Thanks for that, Diable. That post sent me straight to Wiki to read up on Dawson. Worth my time. When I became a fan he was just finishing out his career. Whenever he came to the plate there was a sense of who he was, and what he *could* do if he got ahold of one. But he just wasn't the superstar he was when he was younger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts