Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to think there were no such thing as a moral victory, but at this point in the season I've changed my mind. I changed my mind so much that I believe moral victories (like tonight in Dallas) are the best possible outcome.

Before I get into my reasonings, I know there is a chance of players developing the "losers mentality" if they lose a lot of games. However, the positives at this point out-weigh the negatives.

First off, games tonight where Telfair, Przybilla, Khryapa, and Outlaw are getting major minutes are always good. We've never given raw young talent a chance to get major minutes. At the point in the season it's a great time to find out who's for real, who's dead weight, and what veterans can we afford to get rid of.

Second, playing close with teams like Dallas, Indiana, and Chicago can give this guys confidence going into next season. Telfair especially can recongize that he's got flaws to work on and he seems to have the work ethic to fix those problems. Next year when we play the Dallas' of the NBA, the young guys will hopefully have improved their games as well as their chemistry with each other. They'll be able to recall that when they had no experience they were able to take these teams down to the wire, and have no doubt they can win.

Last, moral victories mean that we're losing games, and inching closer and closer to the #4 draft pick (or better) in this years draft. Utah has AK47 back and they are capable of winning most games. Golden State is playing better since their trade with Davis. Portland has lost 9 of 10, and there is no reason to believe this trend can't continue. If we lose all four games against Golden State and Utah, that would mean that GS and Utah only have to win one more game than us for the rest of the season (highly possible). Not only is the 4th pick better than the 6th pick, but the chances of getting a top 3 pick increase from something like 20% to near 40%.

In summary, the a lose like the one tonight in Dallas might be what Blazer fans should be rooting for, at least if you look at the big picture.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm with you there Tince. It was a moral victory for me as well. I know some people think it's pathetic, but just keeping it close and making a game out of it with a good team is fine with me. It is showing that the team as potential and the kids are improving. This is all at the same time of getting a better draft pick. Now if we were losing by 30 and scoring only 75 points most nights, then I'd be more concerned.

In the end, I'm just not that concerned. I know Mighty Mouse is gone at seasons end and that just brings me happinesss. Also, we've had our share of injuries throughout the year. Especially to our best players(SAR,ZBO).

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
honestly, I couldn't care less about "moral victories" or even victories at all. Wins and losses mean nothing to me at this point.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night, so when I went to NBA.com to check the boxscore, the first thing I looked at wasn't the final score (it wasn't even the second thing). The first thing I checked was how Bassy and T-Law did. That's all I care about at this point. How the young guys do. Wins mean nothing right now.

I think it's odd how some people in the media have yet to grasp that yet.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
I think it's odd how some people in the media have yet to grasp that yet.
I dont think it's odd. It's the same reason why some people on the won't grasp it. It feeds post counts.

When the media feeds the whole "team is dissapointing, play the young guys"..they do it to create $$ in their paper or radio station. When the team palys the youngins, they create the "team is dissapointing, management is stupid" buzz.

Either way, the media doesn't want to lose their grip on the casual fans. So they are going to continually paint a picture thats bad.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Well, I don't know about moral victories, but I do think the more PT these guys get under their belt, the better prepared they'll be for next season.

Turnovers is the biggest reason for their recent losses. If they can take better care of the ball (which takes time to learn when you have hot-shot passers like Telfair and Khyapa with no prior NBA experience), they'll start being much more competitive.

PBF

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Every loss is a victory for us. I hope all we get is moral victories. Play well and lose, that's my hope.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I still prefer real live victories. But what I want most of all is to "play hard" as Rasheed Wallace put it. I want to see the effort. Mistakes happen and other teams are just plain better, but I will never boo an honest effort. It's when players come out and look like they're not even trying that I get really peeved (normally I'd use another word but the mods won't like it.)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crandc said:
I still prefer real live victories. But what I want most of all is to "play hard" as Rasheed Wallace put it. I want to see the effort. Mistakes happen and other teams are just plain better, but I will never boo an honest effort. It's when players come out and look like they're not even trying that I get really peeved (normally I'd use another word but the mods won't like it.)
Two questions:

1) Do you feel this young group is playing hard?

2) Why would you prefer real wins and a worse draft pick over moral victories and a better draft pick at this point in the season?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
My first priority is simply that the young players play hard and aggressively. Make mistakes of aggression, that's great. Play the game you feel will make you most successful and try to extend your skills as much as you can, even if you fail doing so. That's the best way to develop. But also play with your teammates and try to develop some awareness of each other, some on-court chemistry (different from the chemistry that media puritans flayed Whitsitt for not acquiring).

After that, wins and losses are immaterial. The benefit of losses in improving our lottery odds is somewhat offset by the gains to confidence that winning can generate. I'm a bit of a believer in the effect of a "culture of winning" and a "culture of losing." Not a huge believer; I don't think it's the most important thing, but I think it has some truth.

I'd love to see the team get a few significant victories, make most games competitive and eventually sink into a bottom three record. That would be ideal, I guess.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
1) Do you feel this young group is playing hard?

2) Why would you prefer real wins and a worse draft pick over moral victories and a better draft pick at this point in the season[/QUOTE

Fair questions. First, I'm out of area so I don't get to see/hear the games. I can only go by box scores and what folks here say. By and large, yes, I think they are playing hard. But I see some box scores where it looks like they were way behind early and it got worse as the game went on, so I do wonder if they aren't sometimes just putting their tails between their legs, so to speak. But hard to judge from a distance.
Second, there is a draft lottery, remember? So having a worse record does not guarantee a better pick. Also, this is not a draft with a Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal or LeBron James, a clear #1 pick who we know is going to be a dominating player. It's going to be a crapshoot (is that word OK on the board?) like we're used to in the draft, with the difference being there will be more choices available when Portland picks. But I don't think there will be a huge difference between having, say, the #3 pick and the #6 pick. Finally, I think winning games, real games, will give the young guys confidence and help in still a winning spirit. It's fun to win games. Losing tends to become a habit and that's one habit I don't want our guys to pick up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts