Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the article :reporter:

Portland has some interest in former Suns coach Frank Johnson, who worked well with Suns youngsters before Mike D'Antoni.
Take it for what its worth.... :twocents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Karl endorses Flip Saunders (From the Oregonian this morning)

"I think Flip is the best coach out there, unless Phil (Jackson) is going to coach again," Karl said during the Nuggets' visit to Portland. "Flip is a heck of a coach. He was just too long in Minnesota, and that happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,264 Posts
Here's another blurb on Iavaroni:

Looks like I just might get my wish. After years of coaching retreads being hired, fired and then hired again, it appears Portland is leaning towards hiring Phoenix assistant Marc Iavaroni as its head coach next season. Iavaroni has paid his dues -- he had a 14-year career as a player and coach and is a student of Pat Riley and Mike Fratello. Iavaroni deserves this opportunity, as do many assistants working at this level. The sooner the NBA realizes this, the better off it will be.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/chris_mannix/04/07/spurs/1.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Marc Iavaroni is an interesting choice. Seems like he's deserving of a shot. But are the Blazers really in a position where they can wow fans and free agents with another risky hire?

Who the Blazers hire as coach this offseason is the most important decision they'll make. I think they need a proven commodity. This organization isn't in the position where it can afford to pin the hopes of a franchise on a guy with no NBA head-coaching experience. Especially with the young, inexperienced roster we have.

-Pop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,264 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
This organization isn't in the position where it can afford to pin the hopes of a franchise on a guy with no NBA head-coaching experience. Especially with the young, inexperienced roster we have.

-Pop
I disagree. with an experienced group of vets, you want a proven coach who can press the right buttons to maximize talent.

with a really bad team like Portland, why not take a big risk on a novelty coach? he's more likely to be hungry and eager to prove his capability, and less likely to let a string of losses get him down. plus, if he doesn't seem productive you fire him and get another one.

if you take a chance on a risky player, you may own his contract for years to come. with a coach, you buy him out tomorrow and you are done with him. coaches are really the easiest way to experiment with an undeveloped team without paying any real long-term penalties for failures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
i just hope they get someone good, a coach that gets everything to click agian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
theWanker said:
I disagree. with an experienced group of vets, you want a proven coach who can press the right buttons to maximize talent.

with a really bad team like Portland, why not take a big risk on a novelty coach? he's more likely to be hungry and eager to prove his capability, and less likely to let a string of losses get him down. plus, if he doesn't seem productive you fire him and get another one.

if you take a chance on a risky player, you may own his contract for years to come. with a coach, you buy him out tomorrow and you are done with him. coaches are really the easiest way to experiment with an undeveloped team without paying any real long-term penalties for failures.
Well, whatever they do, they better not win a championship next year. I'm getting married on June 4, 2006, and our honeymoon is right after that. If I have to miss the final game and a championship parade in Portland, I'm gonna flip. I was born two years later than our only title. I can't miss the next one.

-Pop
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Well, whatever they do, they better not win a championship next year. I'm getting married on June 4, 2006, and our honeymoon is right after that. If I have to miss the final game and a championship parade in Portland, I'm gonna flip. I was born two years later than our only title. I can't miss the next one.

-Pop

well, for starters...congrats. WHats the future Mrs SodaPop's name?

secondly, the finals wouldn't be that soon in june anyway..

and thirdly..we all know that the next title is contingent on me having a child. So I'm to blame. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats Soda...

that is fantastic.. way to go... :woot:

its a year off.. but its great news.. it will go by fast
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top