Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what Tex had to say about Kobe and the Lakers recently:

Kobe... " the most talented player in the game. Wants to try and do it all. Understands the team concept, is very bright. Doesn't violate the team concept willfully, but he is impulsive.

Loves a great match-up. Has tremendous grasp of basketball. He understood my system. So much savvy. He will be a much more dangerous offensive player without Shaq jammin up the basket area.

He's gonna have room to operate and he'll be playing with playmakers.

Contrary to criticism, Kobe wasn't selfish with Shaq. He got the ball to the big guy."

Lamar... " Boy the Lakers got a player here. Finally realizing his immense talent. Plays a complete game and plays hard. Unselfish.

A playmaker, can take it to the hoop with his left on a hard drive. Has range too.

This guy could be one of the top players in the game in L.A."

And in case you missed it, here's what Tex said about the Finals on the radio a few days ago:

"Shaq defeated himself against the Pistons - He had one big game in the finals - Boxing out and rebounding was awful by Shaq in the Finals - One assist in a finals game is inexcusable - Over the years Shaq has had no interest in defense or rebounding, only on the offensive end - Shaq will be a challenge for that team in Miami."

My top 5 players by position:

PG Baron Davis
SG Kobe
SF Odom
PF Timmy
C Shaq

These are all very interesting comments from Tex, it nicely summarizes what I've suspected coaches were seeing in LA over the years. It's quite revealing that Tex was never caught dead saying these things during the season when Shaq's fragile ego surely would have cracked under the pressure of such critical comments.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
Here's what Tex had to say about Kobe and the Lakers recently:

Kobe... " the most talented player in the game. Wants to try and do it all. Understands the team concept, is very bright. Doesn't violate the team concept willfully, but he is impulsive.

Loves a great match-up. Has tremendous grasp of basketball. He understood my system. So much savvy. He will be a much more dangerous offensive player without Shaq jammin up the basket area.

He's gonna have room to operate and he'll be playing with playmakers.

Contrary to criticism, Kobe wasn't selfish with Shaq. He got the ball to the big guy."

Lamar... " Boy the Lakers got a player here. Finally realizing his immense talent. Plays a complete game and plays hard. Unselfish.

A playmaker, can take it to the hoop with his left on a hard drive. Has range too.

This guy could be one of the top players in the game in L.A."

And in case you missed it, here's what Tex said about the Finals on the radio a few days ago:

"Shaq defeated himself against the Pistons - He had one big game in the finals - Boxing out and rebounding was awful by Shaq in the Finals - One assist in a finals game is inexcusable - Over the years Shaq has had no interest in defense or rebounding, only on the offensive end - Shaq will be a challenge for that team in Miami."

My top 5 players by position:

PG Baron Davis
SG Kobe
SF Odom
PF Timmy
C Shaq

These are all very interesting comments from Tex, it nicely summarizes what I've suspected coaches were seeing in LA over the years. It's quite revealing that Tex was never caught dead saying these things during the season when Shaq's fragile ego surely would have cracked under the pressure of such critical comments.
My thoughts exacly when it comes to Kobe scoring without Shaq clogging it up. Tmac sure had alot more space with no real big man I expect Kobe to be much more dangerous without Shaq there.

Now is the team gonna be as good is the big question mark but I believe Kobe will be better from a scoring standpoint.

Bascially every great team had a villain the guy who was blamed when things didn't go wel and that was Kobe.

I also think Tex was correct about Shaq in the finals.

Shaq was outhustled all series by the Pistons bigmen on short rest a product of getting older.

Neither Shaq nor Kobe played well against the Pistons because the OTHER lakers players couldn't hit shots so they ran several guys at both Shaq and Kobe.

I take what Tex says seriously because he was at practice everyday, he saw the work ethic all these years he knows both guys basketball IQ's, he knows who prepared the best. He was privy to things we couldn't see. He has no stake in ripping either one

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
You know when I wrote my profile on Kobe, I thought basically the exact same things Tex did. At least I don't feel now that I am way out in left field.

As jazzy1 said, Tex saw them in practice all the time and knows what they are capable of.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I agree completely about Shaq, my complaint about him has always been that he only exerts effort on the offensive end of the court.

As for best SF, it is hard to say, very close between Lamar, Artest, Peja, and Kirilenko. Peja is the best shooter in the league, Artest and Kirikenko great defenders. But Lamar is the best ballhandling big man in the league.

Kobe and Lamar are going to make a great duo with one another.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts