Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is just a part of an article I read today.

Kidd says so many different things to so many different people, it's hard to gauge how he really feels. Unfortunately for the Nets, he rarely talks to his most trusted allies about staying in Jersey. Just in the last week or so, he was crowing to some of them about the Nets' intentions to try to deal for Garnett. That's a positive sign. But he's also talked about his yearn to return home to play for Golden State, or joining up with Gary Payton in Seattle.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/8207p-7686c.html

Looking at Jason Kidd's options:

A) Wait for Thorn to make a more to improve this team. Unlikely. No one wants Van Horns soft game or huge contract. No one want an injury prone Kittles. While K-Mart is an eye opener, but only when he throws down a monster dunk.

B) Joining Payton in Seattle as a free agent? Well, the team cannot seem to hammer out a deal for Lewis and has not mentioned extending Payton's contract. This team is on the line and will most likely move toward a rebuilding plan.

C) Wait and join Duncan in San Antonio as a free agent. But will having Duncan be enough to win in the West? Should Kidd join the Spurs, the lineup would look something like this: Kidd, a way past his prime S.Smith, B.Bowen, T.Duncan, and Parks. They may get something for Parker, but if the Spurs move Daniels, then they will be without a backup. Spurs are not even sold that Duncan will resign w/ this team to begin with.

D) Come home as a free agent. :D

Lineup would be:
Kidd/Logan
R-Rich/Arenas
Dunleavy/J.Welsch
Jamison/Murphy
Foyle/ Hopefully they can sign Wang who is a free agent.

While I'm very optimistic for the Warriors this year, I think they'll miss the playoffs but not by much. Therefore, they'll be in the lottery and pickup another body there. Most likely a C or PF.

Dampier/Fortson/Mills/Sura are all being shopped around for anything: picks, backups, cash, $2 and a biscuit, or a bus pass. Whatever works to get cap room freed up for another superstar. Like Bibby, he'll just have to look at the potential here and will take a little less to gain so much more. Playing at home (Bay Area) and becoming a basketball icon in the Bay Area, and make so much more money w/ endorsements and advertising deals. (Take a page out of MJ's book, he knows where the money is at!)

Just my continuing pursuit to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. :p

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
I think Golden State will definately miss the playoffs and not just barely, by a lot. They haven't improved at all from last year and they have lost a center in marc jackson and a half-way point guard in Larry Hughes. Kidd is not going to want to sign in Golden State, sorry. He has way too many better options. Also I thought that Dampier started at center and that Arenas was moved to point guard and that Fortson started at pf.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you make no sense

Originally posted by <b>allenive21</b>!
I think Golden State will definately miss the playoffs and not just barely, by a lot. They haven't improved at all from last year and they have lost a center in marc jackson and a half-way point guard in Larry Hughes. Kidd is not going to want to sign in Golden State, sorry. He has way too many better options. Also I thought that Dampier started at center and that Arenas was moved to point guard and that Fortson started at pf.
First of all, Marc Jackson sucked. Did you see him after the trade? OK then. Why do you think we got NOTHING for him/ Becaus ehe was garbage. If we miss the plyoffs, it wont be because we are missing Marc jackson.
Second, Hughes has talent but no shot. The Warriors were the worst shooting team around last year. We are a much better shooting team right now than last year. Let's play a game called
"Can he shoot the rock?"
Arenas = yes
Logan = yes
Dunleavy = yes
Welcsh = yes
J-Rich = yes
Jamison = Maybe- he's moving back to the 4 where he did well two years ago..

The shooting will be better, the D will be better an the attitude will be better. Playoffs? Maybe not, but to say we are not really improved over last year is a joke.

Kidd will have his choice of options for sure but never underestimate the value of playing in front of the home crowd. And why would he talk about the possibility in front of reporters if he had not at least thought about it? Answer? He wouldn't.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

While I, of all people, truly understand that the Warriors are a doomed franchise while Cohan is in the commander's chair, I am still optimistic. I am impressed w/ the draft picks of St. Jean and Co. the last 2 years. The Warriors had J-Rich, T.Murphy, and the diamond in the rough G.Arenas in the 2001 draft. In the 2002 draft he addressed the Warriors lack of shooting by drafting Dunleavy and Welsch, while providing a quality backup in Logan. You say that: "They haven’t improved at all from last year...” AT ALL? The draft was a good start dont you say? I know that St. Jean is not done making moves. As far as losing Marc Jackson, that was St. Jean's fault. He should have traded him sooner, but Jackson was a cancer like Blaylock. Larry Hughes? He lost his job to Arenas so losing him was a blessing and a welcomed one. You are right, Damp did start at center, Arenas at point, etc. but if you reread my post it does state "Lineup would be:” That means
, that’s what the line would be if Jason Kidd signed w/ the Warriors. After that I do go into a brief sentence that the other players are being shopped around. "He has way too many better options." Excluding the Warriors, if there any other options better than the ones I listed, then please enlighten me. The Warriors will have a lot of cap room after Sura, Damp, Fortson, and Mills are off the books. Therefore, they can give Kidd a good offer.

As a basketball fan, I'm down w/ teams building the best team they can put together. I dont mind that Cuban throws his money around, but as long as the team is competative. I know that this is the era where teams dont stay together for very long. While all this talk of Kidd joining the Warrors might be a smoke screen to squeeze more money out of NJ, at least signing w/ the Warriors or the Spurs are realistic moves. Joining other teams will result in a major overhaul of their exisiting lineup and where does that get you. Right back where you started. At least the Warriors have a good, young nucleus of players w/ just a few holes to fill.

"You've got to remember, nobody thought New Jersey would have a chance to go to the finals," Kidd said. "Sometimes, it's that one guy."

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Originally posted by <b>colossus735</b>!

While I, of all people, truly understand that the Warriors are a doomed franchise while Cohan is in the commander's chair, I am still optimistic. I am impressed w/ the draft picks of St. Jean and Co. the last 2 years. The Warriors had J-Rich, T.Murphy, and the diamond in the rough G.Arenas in the 2001 draft. In the 2002 draft he addressed the Warriors lack of shooting by drafting Dunleavy and Welsch, while providing a quality backup in Logan. You say that: "They haven’t improved at all from last year...” AT ALL? The draft was a good start dont you say? I know that St. Jean is not done making moves. As far as losing Marc Jackson, that was St. Jean's fault. He should have traded him sooner, but Jackson was a cancer like Blaylock. Larry Hughes? He lost his job to Arenas so losing him was a blessing and a welcomed one. You are right, Damp did start at center, Arenas at point, etc. but if you reread my post it does state "Lineup would be:” That means
, that’s what the line would be if Jason Kidd signed w/ the Warriors. After that I do go into a brief sentence that the other players are being shopped around. "He has way too many better options." Excluding the Warriors, if there any other options better than the ones I listed, then please enlighten me. The Warriors will have a lot of cap room after Sura, Damp, Fortson, and Mills are off the books. Therefore, they can give Kidd a good offer.

As a basketball fan, I'm down w/ teams building the best team they can put together. I dont mind that Cuban throws his money around, but as long as the team is competative. I know that this is the era where teams dont stay together for very long. While all this talk of Kidd joining the Warrors might be a smoke screen to squeeze more money out of NJ, at least signing w/ the Warriors or the Spurs are realistic moves. Joining other teams will result in a major overhaul of their exisiting lineup and where does that get you. Right back where you started. At least the Warriors have a good, young nucleus of players w/ just a few holes to fill.

"You've got to remember, nobody thought New Jersey would have a chance to go to the finals," Kidd said. "Sometimes, it's that one guy."
So what happened to Fortson then? You say Kidd signs as a free agent and all of a sudden Fortson isn't even on the roster. He just disappears? I think Arenas will stay at the point due to lack of size. He might get some minutes at sg but he will be ineffective. If Jamison is getting moved to the 4 does that mean that Fortson is moving to the bench? Kidd's best option is just to stay there with the Nets since he almost got a Championship there this year. Golden State has much less to offer than New Jersey.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
this article provides answers reguarding kidd's future:

http://www.theargusonline.com/Stories/0,1413,83~10821~765373,00.html

in kidd's words - "My comments were to answer the question of would I like to play (in Oakland). That was it. But I'm very happy in New Jersey. At the end of my contract, though, we will look at my options. But it's likely I'll be in New Jersey and finish my career here. But the question was asked, and I said I would love to. I'm not going to sit here and say I wouldn't."

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

So what happened to Fortson then? You say Kidd signs as a free agent and all of a sudden Fortson isn't even on the roster. He just disappears? I think Arenas will stay at the point due to lack of size. He might get some minutes at sg but he will be ineffective. If Jamison is getting moved to the 4 does that mean that Fortson is moving to the bench? Kidd's best option is just to stay there with the Nets since he almost got a Championship there this year. Golden State has much less to offer than New Jersey.

UGG!!! Here, please reread the line in the quote below. This is from my original post. Let me know who the second player mentioned in first sentence is and get back to me. Thanks.

Dampier/Fortson/Mills/Sura are all being shopped around for anything: picks, backups, cash, $2 and a biscuit, or a bus pass. Whatever works to get cap room freed up for another superstar. Like Bibby, he'll just have to look at the potential here and will take a little less to gain so much more. Playing at home (Bay Area) and becoming a basketball icon in the Bay Area, and make so much more money w/ endorsements and advertising deals. (Take a page out of MJ's book, he knows where the money is at!)
As far NJ being his best option? With yesterday's trade, Thorn has just thinned out his bench by trading away Van Horn and Big Mac. Jefferson will now start, but who will back him up? Jefferson was a great spark plug for this team off the bench. Deke, while an upgrade at the center position, is 36 and injury prone. Coach Brown stated that he had played him too many minutes last year. While I hope the best for the Nets, I think they wont make it out of the second round this year. Almost every team in that conference has gotten better: NY: added Mcdyess and may trade for Van Exel, Orlando will have Grant Hill back, Boston added a big man in Baker, Sixers have upgraded their bench, and Washington and the Heat have made several moves to improve their teams. Many teams in the central have made upgrades as well which will make it tougher to win. It was a nice run by NJ and very fun to watch (I always love run and gun teams), but like the Sixers two years ago their chance has pasted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts