Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sun-Times: http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull181.html:

Although Skiles had calmed down quite a bit after practice Thursday at the University of Washington, he still was focused on the Bulls' defensive shortcomings, saying his players weren't putting forth enough effort, weren't using the proper technique and are fouling too much.

''We're just very inconsistent at it right now, much like the beginning of last year,'' he said. ''Until we really suffered by going 0-9 [last season] did we start getting it. Right now, we're ahead of that -- we're not at that rate -- but it's just not consistent enough from every guy that plays.

''It's on the film for everyone to see, and we have to fight our way out of it.''
Said center Tyson Chandler: ''I feel like we made a bunch of dumb fouls, and that gave them confidence. They only had six baskets [in the first quarter], but they had 26 points because of the free throws. We gave them too many easy points.''
Daily Herald: http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?id=122987

Early in the Bulls’ 96-93 loss in Portland on Wednesday night, Kirk Hinrich was bowled over by Trail Blazers forward Zach Randolph.

Hinrich was called for blocking, his second foul of the game, and Bulls coach Scott Skiles shared his unhappiness with referee David Guthrie, yelling, “He was standing there the whole time!”

Two minutes later, center Tyson Chandler was 25 feet away from the basket when he hacked one of the Blazers across the arm, and Skiles could only shake his head.

The Bulls got a few fouls they didn’t deserve against Portland but earned plenty of others. That’s how to finish on the short end of a 37-15 disadvantage in free throws attempted.

“We’re committing fouls that are just hard to describe sometimes,” Skiles said following Thursday’s practice at the University of Washington. “We have to stop doing that.”
Now, the challenge is simple to explain, but not so easy to execute: How to play strong defense without committing so many fouls.

“It’s tough because you want to be in between being aggressive and smart,” Hinrich said. “When you’re trying to be an aggressive team and tough-minded, it’s tough to stay out of foul trouble. I’d say how you eliminate it, you just be careful what you do with your hands and be smart.”

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I posted this on another thread. My words.

Defense seems to be a problem early on. We score 95 yet we give up 98.1

Last year? 94.5 pts a game and we gave up, just 93.4.

Defense is a sore spot.

Scoring does not seem to be a problem, even with our leading scorer gone for the second straight year.

Our first 7 games last season? 0-7 averaged, 91 pts a game and allowed, 101. We got it together last season. Can we do it now?
Another poster added its silly fouls and turnovers as well. Fouls can also be associate with defense. (not all)

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Now, the challenge is simple to explain, but not so easy to execute: How to play strong defense without committing so many fouls.

“It’s tough because you want to be in between being aggressive and smart,” Hinrich said. “When you’re trying to be an aggressive team and tough-minded, it’s tough to stay out of foul trouble. I’d say how you eliminate it, you just be careful what you do with your hands and be smart.”

Kirk is right. There is a fine line between tough defense and foul trouble. Last season the bulls learned how to stay on the other side of the line. I hope they find the solution quickly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
truebluefan said:
Kirk is right. There is a fine line between tough defense and foul trouble. Last season the bulls learned how to stay on the other side of the line. I hope they find the solution quickly.
Could the officials get used to the Bulls style? I'd expect the calls to drop as the season progresses. Maybe they just have to keep on keepin on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts