Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the guys heart and his attitude, but I don't think he's going to be a star in the NBA. The Larry Bird comparisons are way off. He doesn't have nearly the size or physicality of Bird. He's way too skinny for the NBA. He actually looks more like a SG than a forward.

I was leaning towards the Blazers drafting him if they were in the position, but now I'm not so sure. I don't see him solving our problems. He looks like a guy who will likely hit a wall when he encounters the physicality of the NBA game.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
He's way too skinny to play in the NBA?...

Thats a new one.

Tell that to Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince..

He's deceptively strong, he often forces his way into the paint and bullies the defenders and puts the ball in the hoop...He's not soft by any means..

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
He is just too slow. Think about it, how many starting SFs in the NBA have a slow of footspeed and footwork as Morrison? By my count: none. He has a lot of skill and plays hard, but just doesn't seem to have the quickness to play SF in the NBA, and definitely doesn't have the size and strength to play PF, so I don't see how he fits in on defense on any team.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,743 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
He's way too skinny to play in the NBA?...

Thats a new one.

Tell that to Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince..

He's deceptively strong, he often forces his way into the paint and bullies the defenders and puts the ball in the hoop...He's not soft by any means..
He's not as quick or as athletic as any of the three guys you named, and that's what allow(ed) them (especially Reggie and Rip) to do what they do.

He's a guy. Every team needs a guy, so there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think people should build him up into something he's not, and never will be. I hope he lands somewhere that can maximize his strengths, and cover his weaknesses, but where ever that is he shouldn't be the #1 or #2 option he won't be able to get it done with that type of defensive attention focused on him on the next level.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Morrison is simply a great offensive player, but that doesnt win championships. I am in awe at his offensive aresonal, bue he imply doesnt have superstar skills. Every guard other than Bozeman had 12+ points. Morrison was unstoppable on defense, but he couldnt stop anyone either. Its quite ironic that both overrated Morrison and JJ got knocked out tonight. Neither can play D, and do nothing but shoot. I think both will be decent, but nothing compared to Aldridge or especially Andrea. Everyone saw what happened to JJ when he went against a very athletic team, and I also think everyone saw what happened when Adam went against a athletic team. Both had their weaknesses exposed despite shootging 50%(for Ammo)

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Coatesvillain said:
He's not as quick or as athletic as any of the three guys you named, and that's what allow(ed) them (especially Reggie and Rip) to do what they do.

He's a guy. Every team needs a guy, so there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think people should build him up into something he's not, and never will be. I hope he lands somewhere that can maximize his strengths, and cover his weaknesses, but where ever that is he shouldn't be the #1 or #2 option he won't be able to get it done with that type of defensive attention focused on him on the next level.
he won't have that kind of defensive attention on him at the pro level...Unlike college where he is double and triple teamed, other players on his rosters were all the best of the best in college....

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
ThatBlazerGuy said:
Morrison is simply a great offensive player, but that doesnt win championships. I am in awe at his offensive aresonal, bue he imply doesnt have superstar skills. Every guard other than Bozeman had 12+ points. Morrison was unstoppable on defense, but he couldnt stop anyone either. Its quite ironic that both overrated Morrison and JJ got knocked out tonight. Neither can play D, and do nothing but shoot. I think both will be decent, but nothing compared to Aldridge or especially Andrea. Everyone saw what happened to JJ when he went against a very athletic team, and I also think everyone saw what happened when Adam went against a athletic team. Both had their weaknesses exposed despite shootging 50%(for Ammo)
exposed?....haha...

he scored 24 points on 59% shooting against the best defensive team in college basketball, with three different guys coming at him sporadically...it was a good approach, but he still did good nonetheless...

but i guess if it helps your stance that Morrison's overrated, sure, I could see where you're coming from...

btw, what does UCLA's guards scoring more than 12 points have to do with Morrison?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I was disappointed to hear Morrison's (and Gonzaga's) season end the way it did (I was at work and stuck listening on the radio. I missed the Blazers game too).

That said, what is the likelihood now that Morrison decides NOT to declare for the NBA draft and returns to Gonzaga for his senior year? Judging by his emotions at the end of that game, and knowing how he hates losing, surely his college career won't end like that?

If I were him I would return to Gonzaga next season. But I'm not him, and whatever he does is whatever he does and that's not for me to say. I will say having watched him this season and the seasons before that, and having admiration for him playing at a high level of competition despite a physical condition (type 1 diabetes) that, sadly, could be the death of him someday, I know I don't want this to be my last memory of him as a collegiate player. It would suck to see him go out like that.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
he won't have that kind of defensive attention on him at the pro level...Unlike college where he is double and triple teamed, other players on his rosters were all the best of the best in college....

Maybe. maybe not. Martell Webster went gang busters against the Celtics in his first real playing time. The following games NBA scouts for the teams we played had their guys up on him taking away his shot. I can only assume that if they do it for Webster they'll do it for Morrison. The elite players....other than Bird....are able to use their quickness to overcome a lot of defenses. Hopefully if we draft Morrison he'll be like that, but I think it's silly to say that NBA scouts wont give him special attention if he is succeeding in the NBA.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Morrison will outwork players at the next level. He is nonstop, players wont keep up with him, just like they cant keep up with Hamilton or Miller (when he played.) He is not the next Bird, just like Aldridge is not the next Hakeem. Comparing players to some of the alltime best players in the NBA is not fair, those players are too rare to expect every high draft pick to be that good. Thinking Morrison will be the 3rd or 4th option any any team makes no sense. Morrison can do what so many players in the NBA cant do. He can score on other plays besides dunks. I am so tired of the NBA drafting athletic players who seem to only be able to dunk to get their points. After watching this tounrnament I was impressed with Morrisons passing. He hit multiple players with nice passes when he was double teamed in the last 2 games. I am not saying Morrison is who we should draft, but he does have special skills when he has the ball. Aldrige has impressed me this tournament too. I did not know he could hit the midrange shoot, he looks good also.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
UCLA was all over Morrison last night and he still got his points. Didn't have an open shot all night that I remember. I don't see where Morrison will fit in the NBA though... but I tell you what... he has the John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash scrapiness to him. That alone counts for a lot... and he flails enough that he will get all kinds of calls in the NBA. I have a hard time knowing how good he will be at the next level. Part of me thinks he will be a bit like Zach... you can shut Zach down if you really focus on him... but players don't have the focus to do that all game and he usually gets his points. He has huge desire though... and I wish him the best unless he is playing against the Blazers.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Actually if there is a player Morrison reminds me of, its Reggie Miller. Skinny. Fiery. Long range bomber. Reggie was never athletic, but he was fast enough to work screens. Reggie was never a great finisher on the break unless he was taking a trailing jumper. I only worry about players being to skinny if they are power forwards or centers. If they can actually get him into the pro pre draft workouts we will find out what his actual physical abilities are, but he may skip them.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,743 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Which is why I think he could be a third option on a really good team.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Honestly, no one truly knows how good/bad/average Morrison will be in the NBA. We've all seen too many players who were great in college tank in the NBA and visa versa. One things for certain though, dudes got heart and I'd rather watch a bunch of average talent players with heart than a bunch a great athletes who don't give a **** (a.k.a Miles).

Peace

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
I don't know what kind of player he'll be in the pros, but what I do know is that no one has said he'll be the next larry bird, but that his game resembles bird in certain aspects.

I kind of worry/wonder if he'll want to come back for his senior year, to go out on top (or at least, go out deeper in the tournament). Part of me says "dude, go for the NBA now, you're riding high" and part of me says "dude, go for the NBA."

I don't think in the NBA he'll be the #1 defensive target, so he'll be able to be open a little more. But he'll struggle in the NBA for the first couple years (and by struggle I mean a normal rookie adjustment period) but so will the rest of the guys in this years and next years draft. Thats just how rookies are. He has, just like the others, the chance to grow into a much more complete player. We're talking like 3-4 years and then he might get some of the wiley vet moves that players grow into.

Having a player who's "complete" or doesn't have to adjust much right from the start is very seldom. These guys in this year and next years draft will all struggle to a degree, and despite what people think of Oden this includes him.

Some will struggle offensively, defensively, and just strength wise. each will have to adjust/improve their offensive game and defensive game. Obviously some have more weapons on offense than others, and some have more weapons on defense. But you got to take into account how advanced they are at what they can do (like, scoring Morrison is more advanced than Gay, Aldrige and probably/possibly Bargani) and what that means for the long term, and how they are defensively (I'd say that Aldridge is best so far).

Of course, if he doesn't come out this year (he's a tool) that'll totally change who they pick.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
ColoradoBlazerFan said:
I'm thinking you want him to go for the NBA...;) Freudian slip... :biggrin:

Peace
I do, although not necessarily because Id like the blazers to draft him. It'd be good for Gonzaga, to have a high lotto pick. And if he turns out to be worth it, he'll at least get paid.

Another year in college, and it's another year for college scouts to get his game under control, and for the media/hype to die.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.