Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which player from this list will be the most improved OR will have a Breakthrough season??
(ADD on as well)

1) Shane Battier
2) Kwame Brown
3) Jonathan Bender or A.Harrington
4) Da Baby Bulls - Tyson, Curry, Fizer
5) Eddie Griffin
6) Zach Randolph
7) Kedrick Brown

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
From that list, I think that Al Harrington will have the best season next year. He looked very good last year, before he got injured.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Jonathan Bender... it's been too long already. His time is here. Richard Jefferson, Tyson Chandler, Jamal Magloire and my boy Al Harrington will be much improved as well. But JB takes it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The problem with Bender, is that where are all of his minutes coming from? At the SF position, Harrington and Artest will still probably be ahead of him.

There's too much of a logjam there for him to get any significant time. Harrington could also see a good amount of minutes at the 4, but I just don't see enough minutes for Bender to have a real breakout season.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like Zach, only if he has the PT..
He has size and agility and runs the floor well.
I'd play him right behind Sheed

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Here are the top three IMO.

1. Al Harrington
2. Jonathan Bender
3. Kwame Brown

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Jason Richardson

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Keep your eye on guys whose contracts are up after next season. These guys have a LOT at stake, you can be sure that all five of these guys REALLY REALLY REALLY worked on their games all summer long, if they know what's best for them. These five guys:

Corey Maggette
Jumaine Jones
James Posey
Dion Glover
Gilbert Arenas

Here are five more established young players whose contracts are ALSO up after next season, by the way, although they've already "busted out":

Jason Terry
Jermaine O'Neal
Richard Hamilton
Ron Artest
Jeff Foster

As for the guys on the original list:

1 Shane Battier played nearly 40 minutes/game last season, I wouldn't expect his production to get any better, he's a nice guy to have on yr team, but he'll NEVER be a STAR, no way.

2 Kwame Brown isn't ready, he isn't even CLOSE to ready.

3 Al Harrington is coming off an injury, it might take him a while to get back to where he was when he got injured, and Jonathan Bender, well, I still say the guy doesn't really seem to know what he's doing out there on a basketball court, and who knows how many minutes/game he's going to get, you know?

4 Marcus Fizer is officially a BUST, but Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry should get a lot better a lot faster than people think, both guys were playing awfully well down the stretch last season. The Bulls SHOULD be the most improved team in the league next season (gotta love that Donyell Marshall coup!).

5 Eddie Griffin SHOULD start at SF, I GUESS, but he'll be competing with guys who weren't around last year for minutes at forward--Maurice Taylor, Glen Rice, and Bostjan Nachbar. Don't expect a whole lot.

6 Zach Randolph won't get any more PT this year than he did last year, that's a veteran team, they're gunning for the #5 seed in the playoffs, he won't get an opportunity.

7 Kedrick Brown isn't ready, either, although he will be given every opportunity in the world next year, the Celtics have NO DEPTH. JR Bremer is that team's backup point guard right now!

---

MY top ten "bust out" candidates are:

1 Andrei Kirilenko--Donyell Marshall is a goner, and this guy is the best player they have under the age of 39, so his development is CRUCIAL player for this franchise, expect 30+ minutes/game. The Matt Harpring signing shouldn't have an impact on this dude's minutes or production.

2 Vladimir Radmanovic--he's been HANDED the starting PF job, he'll get lots of minutes!

3 Corey Maggette--like I said, this dude has a lot at stake, and the Clips NEED to find out if they can win with this dude as their starting SF (since Lamar Odom probably won't be back after next season), he'll get lots of minutes.

4 Jamaal Magliore--Elden Campbell is a free agent next season, and the Hornets won't be re-signing him next summer because of Magliore; in other words, the Hornets SHOULD trade Campbell NOW, so they can get SOMETHING for him (he's a top 10 center in this league, after all). If THAT happens, Magliore will be getting 30+ minutes/game for a Finals contender.

5 Chauncey Billups--the Pistons didn't give this guy 6 yrs $35 mil to be a role player, people!

6 Brendan Haywood--Jahidi White begins the season on the IR, so the starting C job will be given to MJ's fellow UNC alum Haywood, and he should NEVER LOOK BACK, Jahidi will never start again!

7 Eddy Curry--this guy was shooting for a ridiculously high percentage down the stretch last year and playing a LOT of minutes.

8 Tyson Chandler--played well down the stretch, there's a lot of enthusiasm up in Chicago right now.

9 Jumaine Jones--Darius Miles is still extremely raw, Lamond Murray should get traded, and Ricky Davis may not be re-signed, so Jones not only has a lot at stake next year, he'll probably play a TON of minutes, he COULD be the second-leading scorer on this TERRIBLE TERRIBLE team (behind Dajuan Wagner, who will shoot the ball over and over and over again).

10 James Posey--this guy will be given an opportunity to become the short-handed Nuggets second-leading scorer, he should average over 30+ minutes/game for this godawful team, and he's playing for an extension.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Spartanfan2003</b>!
Zach Randolph, HANDS DOWN, but maybe Shane Battier. If you ask btw I have a reason.
Could THIS be your reason?

Originally posted by <b>Spartanfan2003</b>!
2000 Champs of the Millenium - Michigan State
1998 Coach of the Year - Tom Izzo
2003 National Champions - Michigan State
And as for University of Michigan's recruting - A foul is not a foul unless the referee blows his whistle
Maybe?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Shane Battier improve? On what? If anything he will get worse through out his career. Player with up side most of the time have athletic ability but it has not been taped for the game of basketball. But Battier is a horrible athlete, and what can he improve on he has got the most of out his abilities already. He can defend, shoot, and he will not get better at dribbling. He will only get worse, and once his jump shot is off he is useless because he can't get to the hoop. Then he will just be a "defender" getting loose balls because he can't do anything else.

P.S. He acts like he can guard the big timers in the NBA, but any SF in the game today to kill him, and that is just said when he is matched up against Tracy McGrady. But he still says "those players are supposed to score points", well no ****! And one other thing those players have that he doesn't, athletic ability.

Shane Battier has got a ton out of his ability given to him, but I think it is about tapped!

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Actually, LOL, that is part of why I like Randolph, but it has nothing to do with why I chose him. And as far as Shane, I am a Memphis fan, what can I say. I chose Randolph because I think he has great untapped potential. Mo Cheeks did not play rookies. He only got like 1 or 2 minutes a game. If you think back to the 2001 Rocky Mountain Revue, you will remember that he was the MVP. But then he went to the NBA the next day and only got 1 minute of playing time. If Mo Cheeks would let him play he might have been an All-Rookie First Teamer. This year Mo Cheeks will play him because he will be a second year player. He will be very good next year. As far as improvement I think he will be the best for that reason.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>OZZY</b>!
Shane Battier improve? On what? If anything he will get worse through out his career. Player with up side most of the time have athletic ability but it has not been taped for the game of basketball. But Battier is a horrible athlete, and what can he improve on he has got the most of out his abilities already. He can defend, shoot, and he will not get better at dribbling. He will only get worse, and once his jump shot is off he is useless because he can't get to the hoop. Then he will just be a "defender" getting loose balls because he can't do anything else.

P.S. He acts like he can guard the big timers in the NBA, but any SF in the game today to kill him, and that is just said when he is matched up against Tracy McGrady. But he still says "those players are supposed to score points", well no ****! And one other thing those players have that he doesn't, athletic ability.

Shane Battier has got a ton out of his ability given to him, but I think it is about tapped!
Dude, I TOTALLY agree, good call. But there is SOMETHING to be said for a guy who works very hard, has a great attitude, is a winner (and the dude is a WINNER, do not doubt THAT), and plays as well as he possibly can. He'll never be a star, he'll never be any better than he is right now, in fact, but he'll play in this league for a LONG time, he'll ALWAYS be a solid role player in this league. And he'll ALWAYS be a good guy to have around, he's a leader, a winner. He'll be a good coach someday.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts