Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
Nenad really deserves to win this award. Without his improvement, the Nets would not be a real contender.

Screw Boris Diaw. If he were on any other team he would still be fighting for minutes.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ghoti said:
Nenad really deserves to win this award. Without his improvement, the Nets would not be a real contender.

Screw Boris Diaw. If he were on any other team he would still be fighting for minutes.
You have a good point there. Did Diaw actually improve as a player, or was Phoenix just a better situation for him?

Unfortunately, Nenad A) hasn't been playing at this level for the entire year, and B) he was close to this good last year in April and the playoffs. That hurts his case. Also, Diaw ball-sucking seems to be pretty popular nowadays.

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
Rollydog said:
Unfortunately, Nenad A) hasn't been playing at this level for the entire year, and B) he was close to this good last year in April and the playoffs. That hurts his case.
I don't think Krstic was anywhere near as good as he is now during last year's playoffs.

His help defense, man defense, passing, offensive rebounding, ability to set screens, finishing ability, ability to run the floor, post offense, mid-range jumper, long range jumper and ability to stay out of foul trouble are all significantly better than they were last year.

Improving throughout the season is what that award is all about.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
ghoti said:
I don't think Krstic was anywhere near as good as he is now during last year's playoffs.

His help defense, man defense, passing, offensive rebounding, ability to set screens, finishing ability, ability to run the floor, post offense, mid-range jumper, long range jumper and ability to stay out of foul trouble are all significantly better than they were last year.

Hear, hear. There are also intangibles like his beard.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ghoti said:

I really haven't watched much of him this year, but Nenad had plenty of offense and rebounding towards the end of last season. He averaged something like 14/7 in April, and 18/9 in the first round against the Heat.

Since he only started playing well in March, his overall stats don't reflect his improvement, so I doubt sportswriters and broadcasters nationwide (they pick the winner here I think), will be able to pick up on it. At the end of the day, I doubt these people put much stock into the process.

They'll look at Diaw's season stats, see 13 ppg/7 rpg/6 apg, see that he didn't even put up 5 ppg last year, and that'll be the whole shebang. Nenad will only have 13/6 to last year's 10/5.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Nenad won't win it but I bet he'll be strongly considered. Diaw & Gerald Wallace deserve it over Curly. The league doesn't really consider record as a factor for this award so all of the improved players on losing teams like Gerald have a good shot.

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
Rollydog said:
They'll look at Diaw's season stats, see 13 ppg/7 rpg/6 apg, see that he didn't even put up 5 ppg last year, and that'll be the whole shebang. Nenad will only have 13/6 to last year's 10/5.
You're probably right about Diaw. I don't have much faith in the voters, either.

If you haven't watched the Nets play, it's hard to get the point across about how much better Krstic is and how much better he makes the team. He had the good stats in the playoffs, but that only tells part of the story. The Krstic that's on the court now is an entirely different player.

I think he has a shot to win the award, as sometimes these guys like to brag about how "smart" they are and momentum builds for the right candidate.

·
Registered
15,856 Posts
MIP is a stats-improvement award. No matter how much Krstic may have actually improved (I haven't seen enough to say myself), going from 10/5 to 13/6 will leave him lucky to even get any votes, let alone seriously compete for the award.

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
Shaq_Diesel said:
Hopefully Krstic doesn't end up like a former Most Improved Player winner, Ike Austin...

bwahahaha
Don't need to create trouble here. You should know better.

Reactions: justasking?

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
MJG said:
MIP is a stats-improvement award. No matter how much Krstic may have actually improved (I haven't seen enough to say myself), going from 10/5 to 13/6 will leave him lucky to even get any votes, let alone seriously compete for the award.

Shaq got one first place vote last time, that's how ridiculous the voting is. Who knows? Krstic might get a few votes.

·
Banned
57,945 Posts
MJG said:
I think MJG is right, he had a nice rookie season.

I think the MIP leader is David West.

-Petey

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
Petey said:
I think MJG is right, he had a nice rookie season.

I think the MIP leader is David West.

-Petey
At least West is on the same team and isn't a product of the Phoenix track meet.

Why don't they just re-name this thing the "Most Increased Playing Time" award?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ghoti said:
If you haven't watched the Nets play, it's hard to get the point across about how much better Krstic is and how much better he makes the team. He had the good stats in the playoffs, but that only tells part of the story. The Krstic that's on the court now is an entirely different player.
I love Nenad, I've followed him closesly since his last year in Europe, and I think he should always be in the game. In fact, when he's out with fould trouble I stop watching.

But to me, Frank always seemed like he was in love with Collins and Robinson, more so the former, using him when Nenad was just as viable. Take the Bobcats game tonight. Brezec is off the floor, who comes in during the 4th, Nenad or Collins? You guessed it, Set-shot Willy.

I had always chalked this seemingly peculiar predieiction to fact that I was biased about Nenad, that he wasn't as good as I thought due to my bias. But you guys seem to affirm my thoughts about Nenad. He IS a smart player, a good team defender, and a guy to be counted on. SO WHY DOES FRANK STILL NOT SHOW CONFIDENCE IN HIM?

(and it's not just keeping him out of game, it's not giving him touches in the clutch, taking him out when he makes a small mistake, etc)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.