Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are two lists from the new york times rating the most over and under rated players in the nba

This is a list of players whose plus minus exheeds their glory statistics (ppg and rebs:
1.Fred hoiberg
2.Andrei kikilenko
3.Robert Horry
4.Greg Buckner
5.Manu Ginobili
6.Micheal Ruffin
7.Nick collision
8.Shandon Anderson
9.Brent Barry
10.Brian Cardinal

This a list over the 10 most overrated based on their glory stats exheeding their plus minus while on the floor.

1.Zack Randolph
2.Richard Jefferson
3.Antoine Walker
4.Allen Iverson
5.Troy Murphy
6.Lee Nailon
7.Carmelo Anthony
8.Micheal Redd
9.Al Harrington
10.Jermaine O'neal

I thought these lists were pretty interesting because the first one (underrated) was full of lessen known players (nick collision, micheal ruffin) and the second had a lot of high profile names. I think that basing a players worth on their plus minus compared to their glory stats makes a lot of sense. Zack Randolph for example was given an 86 million contract, he puts up 20 and 10 but the blazers miss the playoffs.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
thats because scubs are on the court when the game is already over and superstars play against each other while the score fluctuates the most...

·
Banned
662 Posts
Overated

pg- Chauncy Billups (he's just a solid player, not a superstar!)

sg- Steve Francis (HA! And they call Kobe selfish)

sf- Bruce Bowen (Hacking and fouling is not Defense)

pf- Mehmet Okur (How he makes that much money?)

c- Yao Ming (your like 7'6, yet your 19th in the NBA in rebounds?)

6th man. None other then the former 6th man of the year, SCORELESS WILLIAMSON!

Underated

pg- Jameer Nelson (still dosent get enough love)

sg- Jason Richardson (He DOSENT JUST DUNK!)

sf- Travis Outlaw (this kid's got game, just you wait)

pf- Shawn Marion

c- NENAD KRISTIC!

6th man- Gary Payton, (went from superstar, to average player, but his value is still amazing)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nashaholic said:
Here are two lists from the new york times rating the most over and under rated players in the nba

This is a list of players whose plus minus exheeds their glory statistics (ppg and rebs:
1.Fred hoiberg
2.Andrei kikilenko
3.Robert Horry
4.Greg Buckner
5.Manu Ginobili
6.Micheal Ruffin
7.Nick collision
8.Shandon Anderson
9.Brent Barry
10.Brian Cardinal

This a list over the 10 most overrated based on their glory stats exheeding their plus minus while on the floor.

1.Zack Randolph
2.Richard Jefferson
3.Antoine Walker
4.Allen Iverson
5.Troy Murphy
6.Lee Nailon
7.Carmelo Anthony
8.Micheal Redd
9.Al Harrington
10.Jermaine O'neal

I thought these lists were pretty interesting because the first one (underrated) was full of lessen known players (nick collision, micheal ruffin) and the second had a lot of high profile names. I think that basing a players worth on their plus minus compared to their glory stats makes a lot of sense. Zack Randolph for example was given an 86 million contract, he puts up 20 and 10 but the blazers miss the playoffs.
These two lists are horrible. Lee Nailon? Troy Murphy? When have these guys been overrated. How is Jermaine O'neal overrated? And how in the hell is IVERSON overrated? LOL.

·
Registered
618 Posts
overrated

pg-marbury("#1 pg in league", lol)
sg- ben gordon (hes nice and everything but shudnt win 6th man or ROY. and media is all up on his ball sack all of a sudden)
sf-richard jefferson (he sucks when healthy)
pf-webber (doesnt get that much love though anymore)
c-mingy- show some fire you *******, all star starter every year guaranteed and hes only solid for his size

underrated
pg-steve blake (when he gets minutes he runs the point perfectly offensively)
sg- ricky d (gets credit by some but people still hold grudge against him from past despite being a team player)
sf-korver (sucks at d but what a shooter)
pf- kwame brown (yea he sucks for #1 pick but not as bad as people say, give him PT he can contribute) and Elton Brand- not his fault his team sucks
c- eddy curry (i hear way too much criticism of him)

this is just a quick list, if i went thru every1 id prob have different teams altogether

·
Registered
351 Posts
P2TheTruth34 said:
overrated

pg-marbury("#1 pg in league", lol)
sg- ben gordon (hes nice and everything but shudnt win 6th man or ROY. and media is all up on his ball sack all of a sudden)
pf-webber (doesnt get that much love though anymore)
c-mingy- show some fire you *******, all star starter every year guaranteed and hes only solid for his size
Ben Gordon is overrated? How?

underrated
pg-steve blake (when he gets minutes he runs the point perfectly offensively)
sg- ricky d (gets credit by some but people still hold grudge against him from past despite being a team player)
sf-korver (sucks at d but what a shooter)
pf- kwame brown (yea he sucks for #1 pick but not as bad as people say, give him PT he can contribute) and Elton Brand- not his fault his team sucks
c- eddy curry (i hear way too much criticism of him)

this is just a quick list, if i went thru every1 id prob have different teams altogether
Korver's D can be a problem. His shot can be incosistant but overall, I don't think hes underrated.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Overrated

Without a doubt Yao Ming. Shaq said it best."I can't say what he does impresses me because everything he does, he's supposed to do it. for a guy his size.

Underrated

Elton Brand. Poor guy, in a conference with KG and TD, he'll never get mentioned.

(Oh yeah,almost forgot, he plays for the clippers)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MVPlaya said:
These two lists are horrible. Lee Nailon? Troy Murphy? When have these guys been overrated. How is Jermaine O'neal overrated? And how in the hell is IVERSON overrated? LOL.
i just copied it from the paper so its not my opinion for the record. The list though is based on numbers. Iverson was a suprise but according to this if you take the plus minus of his team when hes on the floor and and minus his "glory stats" (ppg and rebs) you get -4.4. That which means that while he does a lot, his team overall does worse when hes on the floor. Theoretically this works, but when your using a player like iverson as an example is doesnt.

Overall i think the lists are just labelled wrong. It shouldnt be over and under rated because thats making a really broad generalization. It is an interesting stat though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah, this has nothing to do with overrated/underrated. It's plus/minus. I think it's a little bit interesting but you can't read too much into it. For example, is it surprising that Jefferson or Walker have poor plus/minus? Both played most of their games this year with a weak supporting cast.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
VCFSO2000 said:
Overrated

Without a doubt Yao Ming. Shaq said it best."I can't say what he does impresses me because everything he does, he's supposed to do it. for a guy his size.
So he's supposed to go behind his back on a fast break and run the court for a one handed jam? Other guys his size don't seem to be doing so well... Bradley and Podkolzin. It really helps me decipher which posters know their basketball and which posters don't when they make these kind of posts.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
P2TheTruth34 said:
overrated

Yeah, 22, 7, and 4 are pretty ****ty numbers, aren't they?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Yao is clearly underrated, because every moron thinks he is overrated and terrible for no reason that is supported by statistics or team success.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yao is underrated because his size is more of a hinderance than a benefit. There's a reason why players at that height have not done too well in the past. Some of the things Yao can do at that height is incredible.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Underrated:
Kurt Thomas
Joel Pryzbilla
Dwight Howard
Yao
Adonal Foyle
Elton Brand
Ben Wallace (people have forgotten about him a bit)
Stephon Marbury (on this board, at least)

Overrated:
Manu Ginobli
Tony Parker
Andrei Kirilenko
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Dwyane Wade (on this board, at least)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Those of you who said Yao is over-rated know nothing about Rockets. In 3 years, Yao has missed only two games. He had been playing with flu, and at present injury to calf and chin. He still carry on playing. Beside that he had to play damn tournaments in China and these deprived him of rest. A robot would break down at this pace.

If anyone still insist Yao is over-rated, 18.3ppg, 8.3rebs and 1.9blks is good statistics for what he had been going through.

2002-1st year : From CBA to NBA.

2003-2nd year : From T.Rudy to JVG (new system)

2004-3rd year : From S.Francis, Mobley,Cato & Jackson to TMac & all the new faces, constantly changing

2005-4th year : If traded? From Rockets to a totally new team.

Years onward : Poor Yao-criticize for been over-rated.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
wow
THERE IS ALOT OF PLAYERS

but my most udnerrated player:
Brian Cardinal is on that list

AND the most
OVERRATED PLAYERS i can think off the top of my head are there TOO:
Redd
AI
Melo
Randolph
JO
ya i hate Troy Murphy i wouldnt say he is overrated cuz i dont hear people talkin about him or nothing
but he is garbage

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Travis Outlaw is underrated. Last 11 games he's avg 11 ppg and shooting nearly 60% from the field. I can't wait this kid get 30+ mpg, he's fun to watch!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts