Hakim Warrick
Andre Emmett
Jarrett Jack
Gerald Fitch
Carl Krauser

·
Registered
612 Posts
You just called two of the top three point guards in the country overrated. What is your problem. Gordon is becoming a leader and getting the ball to Okafor and Felton is the man who makes it happen on North Carolina. Also you forgot Will Bynum on the underrated list.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
The fact that you could call Gordon overrated is ridiculous. He is avg. close to 20 ppg and getting assists and rebounds while playing the last 4 games with a broken nose.

Please don't call him or Felton overrated. If anyone is overrated how about your boy Shavlik. He is soft as jello pudding.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Chris Duhon and underrated mentioned together - never thought I'd live to see the day.

I'm with the others. Felton and Gordon aren't as good as they're going to get, but they're still not playing too shabby.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stand by my original post. I understand why you guys want to defend the likes of Felton and Gordon. They are excellent players.

However, my original post noted whether players were OVERRATED or UNDERRATED based on their pre-season press/All-America team statuses. Gordon and Felton, while both still clearly among the top 10 college players, have not played up to the calibre I was expecting. They were consensus top 3 players in the country, and not only have they not carried the load as much as expected, but their teams have disappointed in part because of that play.

Simien's another very good player, but he was expected to be a 1st or 2nd team all-american, and he's just not playing up to that. His numbers are pretty good, but his play has still been uninspired and he has not stepped up in a way that makes KU an elite team like it could have been.

I didn't forget Will Bynum on the list. He may be underrated, but he's not an all-america candidate. I restricted my list to players who were expected to at least be honorable mention all-america preseason or postseason.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Ben Gordon a disappointment...that's funny.

Until he broke his nose, he was probably the best player in college basketball.

Now he's a disappointment...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And I'm really interested to hear what Ray Felton isn't doing right now that's causing UNC to lose...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ben Gordon a disappointment...that's funny.

Until he broke his nose, he was probably the best player in college basketball.

Now he's a disappointment...

And I'm really interested to hear what Ray Felton isn't doing right now that's causing UNC to lose...
I didn't say that Ben Gordon is a disappointment. He's a great player. He's just hasn't taken that step toward dominance that a player of his calibre should have. His scoring is down by two points and his team isn't winning, even though UCONN had perhaps the #1 and #2 players in the country by preseason judging.

And Felton's not "causing UNC to lose" by any means, but he's certainly not answering the call like the great players should. He isn't dominating or controlling games in a way that he should be. He's letting other PGs outplay him in terms of dictating pace. He's not shouldering the offensive load as much as he needs to in crunch time.

It's not that either of these two guys are not good or even great players. They just came into the season with the expectation of being the cream of the crop, and their instead showing that they merely deserve mention in the same breath as about ten other players in college. It's entirely feasible that neither is a first team all-american at season's end, and if that happens, it's a pretty strong indicator that my premise was correct -- they were overrated.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It surely couldnt be the fact that their teammates are playing like crap.:rolleyes:

I thought bball was a team sport. Its not Felton's fault everyone on his team is a jackoff.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought bball was a team sport. Its not Felton's fault everyone on his team is a jackoff.
Great players, as Felton was annointed in the pre-season, find ways to carry their teams to victories. They shoulder the load when it is needed. Thus far, I haven't seen it from Felton. He's as good a floor general as there is when his team is in rhythm, but when he's not stepping up and covering his teammates mistakes when the going gets tough.

That is what I expect a 1st team all-american to do. Felton is definitely a top 10 player, but I just can't put him on that first team. And by my definition, that is enough to warrant being called overrated.

If it makes you feel any better, he was one of the last additions to that list. The other guys pm my overrated list are much more worthy pf that mention.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I don't think anybody can be put on an "overrated" list when they are considered to be one of the top 10 players in America. I don't consider Felton's season to be one of the top 10 individual seasons in America to date, but that doesn't mean he was overrated in the preseason. There's just too many good players and teams in the nation to categorize like that. Pretty much every preseason All-American could be considered overrated if you twist the terms enough...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts