·
Registered
2,615 Posts
i think this is kind of obvious....lebron james

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i meant to make a poll, but somehow submitted the new thread without making the poll!!

i will vote for t-mac, hes my favorite player. i also think he's the most popular player now in the NBA.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Sith said:
i meant to make a poll, but somehow submitted the new thread without making the poll!!

i will vote for t-mac, hes my favorite player. i also think he's the most popular player now in the NBA.
I guess you can look at all star votes and see whos the most popular and it sure isn't tmac but the guy is on his team.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Right now, for better or worse, on casual fan recognition, the list IMO:

1. Shaq (I actually knew a girl that had never heard of him...surprised the hell out of me.)
2. Kobe (For better, or probably for worse.)
3. Lebron (He's gaining. Not quite there yet.)
4. Yao (I just don't see him as famous as people let on, but I'll acknowledge him.)
5. Iverson (I'm iffy on this one.)

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
The way I see this question is who would my aunt who knows nothing about basketball recognize?

Shaquille O'Neal
Kobe Bryant
Yao Ming

That's all.

edit: I'm sure LeBron will be there soon.

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Filibusterer said:
The way I see this question is who would my aunt who knows nothing about basketball recognize?

Shaquille O'Neal
Kobe Bryant
Yao Ming

That's all.

edit: I'm sure LeBron will be there soon.
I agree with that list

Shaq and Kobe for their titles/drama/movies/court cases and Yao for all of his hype and his superbowl comercial.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Top 5 in no order:

1. LeBron
2. Shaq
3. Kobe
4. Yao
5. KG

KG dips off quite a bit from the top 4.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Kobe isnt the most popular. He is the most talked about however but i dont really translate that into popular.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Everyone knows about Iverson, or at least did a couple years ago. There was a time when everyone had his jersey. He's not the most popular now, of course, but he's definitely someone that any casual non-NBA watching person knows.

Iverson is more recognizable to the mainstream than Duncan and Garnett.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my god, guys, this is not about the "most well known" I m sure Ron Artest would be a household name after what happened in the Palace. I m talking about the most popular player. popular as in people like them, buy their jerseys,shoes and stuff...

·
4,361 Posts
I asked my three cousins (one is 12, another is 11, and the last one is 8) the other day if they knew ANY basketball players. I know, I should be ashamed that they know nothing about basketball, but the only players they could name were Shaq, Kobe, and Yao Ming. So there you have it. I asked, so what about Le? Le? ANd they didn't figure it out until I said "LeBr".. and the oldest one finished "Oh, LeBron James." Oh the shame... :sigh:

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
futuristxen said:
Most infamous:
Ron Artest
Shaq
Kobe

Most well liked:
AI
Lebron
Yao
T-Mac
And apparently Vince Carter.
Vince Carter and AI are in no way well liked by the general public. Neither are Kobe and Artest.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
EHL said:
Top 5 in no order:

1. LeBron
2. Shaq
3. Kobe
4. Yao
5. KG

KG dips off quite a bit from the top 4.
Good list, I don't agree with Garnett on there though. I think Garnett is like McGrady, great players but they aren't all that well known because of their lack of team success, lack of drama, and lack of promotion.

I'd put Iverson 5th, Shaq 1st. Kobe, LeBron and Yao in the middle in any order. This is for most well known by the general public (for good things or bad things), not necessarily basketball fans either.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Good list, I don't agree with Garnett on there though. I think Garnett is like McGrady, great players but they aren't all that well known because of their lack of team success, lack of drama, and lack of promotion.
Incorrect, at least as far as McGrady goes. As recently as last season, these were the top five selling jerseys (a good indication of player popularity):

1. LeBron James, Cavaliers
2. Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets
3. Tracy McGrady, Magic
4. Allen Iverson, 76ers
5. Kobe Bryant, Lakers

(Garnett ranked 13th, so you're right that he's nowhere near the top five.)

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/2003/1202/1676476.html

This is the best information I could quickly find from 2005 (January):

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6796146/

However, it includes multiple jerseys from players. But the article is about how sales of Bryant's jersey have fallen. McGrady's swingman jersey is the fourth-best selling.

For the last month, Bryant’s No. 8 Lakers jersey — previously one of the best sellers in the world — has fallen out of the top 50, according to point-of-sale data tabulated by a Florida market research firm.

Bryant’s NBA jersey was still the 10th-highest selling jersey for the year, but he finished the month of December at No. 72 — and in one week plunged to No. 90, a drastic slide for the player many once saw as the sport’s next marketing golden boy.

Before the season started, O’Neal was traded to the Miami Heat and Jackson retired — departures that many fans have blamed on Bryant.

“I was a big fan, but I just can’t wear his jersey anymore,” said Patrick Buan, 27, of Victorville, Calif., who last month put up for sale his four Bryant jerseys on eBay.
I don't know if jersey sales are exactly equivalent to overall popularity, but they are one good measure.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts