Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DiMaggio hitting safely in 56 games?
Celts winning 9 championships in 12 years?
Our own Bulls winning 72 games in the regular season?

NO!!!!

According to Sam Smith

[Lenny] Wilkens is the all-time coaching wins leader without ever coaching a Hall of Fame player in his prime or at his best. It may be the most remarkable record in sports.
Check it out for yourself...

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/misc/1435670.html

Let's hope Sam is just as wrong on this one...

It's hard to imagine [the Bulls] winning more than 25 or 30 games with the team they've put together
from

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...column,0,226879.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
IMHO Cal Ripkin Jr's ironman record is the most remarkable record in sport.

But Smith was just giving props to Lenny, and I'll forgive the hyperbole.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You are miss quoting what sam smith said, which is and he brought up some interesting points. He said that Lenny Wilkens is the only coach to win an nba title without having an all-star on the team or one to be considered one of the 50 greatest players of all time.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>BullsAttitude</b>!
You are miss quoting what sam smith said, which is and he brought up some interesting points. He said that Lenny Wilkens is the only coach to win an nba title without having an all-star on the team or one to be considered one of the 50 greatest players of all time.
Dude,

It's a direct quote. Cut and Paste. I don't believe I pulled anything out of context, either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I will say that TomB is right, it's just your run of the mill hyperbole. It would not bother me but Sam is flip-flopping between each column it seems.

Sometime in the last month, Sam had Jack Sikma tied for the the 10th best NBA center of all-time with Ewing, but Sam is saying here that Lenny won without much talent in Seatle.

And I would like to know which category Steve Smith in his Atlanta days fits between 'role players and such misfits'.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!
DiMaggio hitting safely in 56 games?
Celts winning 9 championships in 12 years?
Our own Bulls winning 72 games in the regular season?

NO!!!!

Well, the Celts won 11 titles in 13 years. Between 1957 and 1969, they only lost in 1958 (when Bill Russell missed three finals games due to an ankle injury) and in 1967.

Anyway, my vote for the most remarkable record in sports goes to that hockey goalie (I don't remember his name, shame) who played in the 50's and 60's who played in over 500 consecutive complete games.

We are not talking appearing in 500 + games as the goalie.

We are talking 500 + consecutive games as the only player to man the goal.

I'd say that may be the record to stand the longest.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Glen Hall. You can also add Sam Crawford with about 312 triples amd 36 in one year, Cy Young with his 511 wins and 313 losses would seem very untouchable. And you can also add the length of time it took for this board to go to hell. Bama Bull and Tom B were the best moderarors here and they are gone.

MikeDC: Bama voluntarily resigned. Tom B got promoted, he's now a community mod, so I don't see what your problem is there.

I've tried to contact you via PM a couple times and been ignored, so that's why I'm saying this here. In the past you have said you didn't like it here and that you were leaving, never to return. But here you are again, with no seeming purpose but to bad mouth this site. I'm not generally in favor of suspending or banning anyone, but YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING NOTHING BUT SPITE. Either get back to talking about hoops, or take a hike.

BCH locking a thread on the Bulls board is a total joke. His name stands for big country hater and the fact fact that hate is in his name says everything that needs to be said about him and he has advanced to community moderator. What a joke this place is

The most telling fact here is that BCH has not even posted in this thread, and here you are on a big rant about him. If you're so concerned about someone because of the word "hate", consider what this spite-filled, bitter, and hateful rant says about yourself. Get over it, and get over yourself. If you can't come here and have a good time, don't stick around to ruin everyone else's by taking over threads to launch into a tirade about your personal greivances.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Songcycle</b>!
Glen Hall. You can also add Sam Crawford with about 312 triples amd 36 in one year, Cy Young with his 511 wins and 313 losses would seem very untouchable. And you can also add the length of time it took for this board to go to hell. Bama Bull and Tom B were the best moderarors here and they are gone. BCH locking a thread on the Bulls board is a total joke. His name stands for big country hater and the fact fact that hate is in his name says everything that needs to be said about him and he has advanced to community moderator. What a joke this place is.
WHOA Songcycle, if you have problems with BCH you should PM him. To publicly scream his name out like that would almost consititute a banning. I know you arent that kind of poster because you are a vet and have been around for a while. I'm just putting you D to a few things because once one of the higher MODS see this you could be in some trouble. Just check yourself on that one.

BEEZ

·
Registered
510 Posts
I could care less about being in trouble here. Just expressing an honest opinion which may not be appropriate here, but tough. Says a lot about this site.

MikeDC:
Honest opinions about basketball are COMPLETELY welcome here. Opinions that are just hate-filled personal assaults against individuals have nothing to do with basketball. That's a simple distinction that most everyone else here seems to grasp.

What says a lot about this site is the fact that you're still welcome here after your continued personal attacks on the people who devote their time (for no monetary reward) to making it a good place. I think that welcome is about to come to an end, however.

Please take this up via PM, and do not go off on another non-basketball rant here (especially to attack someone). I'm out of patience with you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBullz</b>!
I'll toss this one out:

Oscar Robertson, 61-62 Royals (NBA):

30.8PPG, 11.4 APG, 12.5RPG

That's right, he AVERAGED a triple-double for the entire season.

Interesting comment.

Although I think that it will some day be bested, I think Oscar Robertson has a strong case for the best point guard of All-time.

Basically, Robertson could do everything that Magic Johnson could do, plus shoot extremely well, with either hand, out to about 17 feet.

So, Robertson was, in a way, Magic Johnson with a great jump shot.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jammer</b>!

Interesting comment.

Although I think that it will some day be bested, I think Oscar Robertson has a strong case for the best point guard of All-time.

Basically, Robertson could do everything that Magic Johnson could do, plus shoot extremely well, with either hand, out to about 17 feet.

So, Robertson was, in a way, Magic Johnson with a great jump shot.
Yep, Robertson was a true great.

Though his averaging a triple double is clearly a very difficult feat to match. Jordan came close, but didn't do it (he averaged 8+ RPG and APG one season) and Magic never did it. It would have to be some kind of special player, IMO.

Regards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts