Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you guys feel were/are the most underrated stars of the 80s, 90s, and right now? I'm talking about guys who are regarded as being stars but still don't get enough respect. By that I mean top 5/10 player in the league.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
There are no top 10 players in the league now that are underrated:no:

But I'd say George Gervin was pretty underrated, we don't here as much about him as we do about Dr. J, Bird, and Magic.

·
Registered
920 Posts
In the (90's it was without a doubtt Reggie Miller. I swear. He was a top 5 player and is 17th alltime on the scoring list. And everyone is like Reggie who? Then they get all over Richmonds jock!:upset: It's not fair.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd have to say Shareef. He's not top 5, but to some might be top 10. He's a consistant 20-10 man. His only downfall is his intensity, and passion. He's a great player though.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'd have to say Oscar Robertson, even though he is highly rated and played in the '60s...sorry it's kinda off-track.

Oscar Robertson is one of the all-time greats and I'm shocked at how many people don't know about him. Everyone knows about Jordan, and Chamberlain, and Johnson, and Bird...etc.

Robertson played for the Cincinnati Royals for his first 10 seasons in the NBA and then played his last few seasons with the Bucks. Well...where do the Royals play now...? They're the Kings, of course. A LOT of Kings fans that I know personally don't know this...and these are pretty die-hard fans, too...(Let's just put it this way...most Kings fans are also Oakland Raiders fans.) I read a VERY well written article in Sports Illustrated a while back called "A King without a castle" or something like that. It was about how Oscar Robertson isn't as big as closely related in basketball today as some others like Bill Russell because he isn't remembered by the fans of the franchise that he played for.

Anyways, it's just discouraging to think that a large number of Kings fans don't know the history of their own team. It's easy to forget about the great players that have played for the Kings franchise before they started to make their playoff run but it's just frustrating when people like Oscar Robertson aren't as remembered by the fans as much as they should be.

Sorry for going off on a rant that really didn't have to do much with the topic but it's something I've wanted to say for a while now, and it fits into the spirit of the topic, recognizing players that aren't recongnized enough.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Oscar Robertson averaged 32 points, 11 rebounds, and 11 assisys one year. I agree with you. He could have consiferation for the best ever. Certainly the most well rounded.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Peja is the most underrated star in the NBA today.

He is in my mind a budding superstar capable of carrying a team and being a number 1 option. He has displayed this persona on his Yugo world team and on the Kings whenver C-Webb has been injured. He is capable now and has the offensive arsenal to put up 25 ppg a game if he were featured more prominently in terms of touches and responsibility. Not to mention he has improved his defense from bad when he first came into the league to highly above average what it is now. He has a great work ethic, improves every year.

People who don't know any better and have no intimate knowledge of his game still go by the false image that he is a soft white boy shooter who can't play defense, and don't even mention him positively. People will learn respect in the coming seasons though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
peja is now the 3rd option on the Kings and will avg around 15 ppg if that much

underrated = clyde drexler

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bean the pimp</b>!
peja is now the 3rd option on the Kings and will avg around 15 ppg if that much

underrated = clyde drexler
Bibby is not the second option on the Kings. 10 games can't turn that around. Peja Stojakovic will continue to improve and will have the same if not better numbers as he had last year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's a list of underrated and overrated players in the NBA today

UNDERRTAED
Brad Miller
Brent Barry
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
P.J. Brown
Gary Payton
Popeye Jones
Tim Duncan
Eddie Jones
Jalen Rose
Kevin Garnett
Jerry Stackhouse

OVERRATED
Jason Kidd
Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitzki
Vince Carter
Paul Pierce
Andre Miller
Latrell Sprewell
Kenyon Martin

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
UNDERRTAED
Brad Miller
Brent Barry
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
P.J. Brown
Gary Payton???
Popeye Jones
Tim Duncan
Eddie Jones
Jalen Rose
Kevin Garnett???
Jerry Stackhouse

How is Kevin Garnett over rated. I was talking to my cousin yesterday about who we thought were the most overrated players in the league and garnets name was one of the first to come up. His numbers are good numbers but the guy gets way too much credit for what he does, his team isnt championship calibre and I keep hearing talks of portland trading D Staud and Rasheed for KG when KG's numbers arent really better than sheeds.

as for GP, I dont see how he is over rated. He was pretty much one of the most popular players in the 90's. him and stockton were the 2 marqee pg's and payton is still one of the top 3 or 4 in the league.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Reggie Miller is the most underrated of the 90's and today. No one ever talks good about him because everyone hates him for making clutch shots against their teams and knocking them out of the playoffs. ie... the Knicks, Bulls and Heat.
Another one I would have to say is Spree. Everyone seems to hate the guy now. Hes still a great player and you have to remember hes playing out of possition. If he gets traded to another team and plays sg watch out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ScottVdub</b>!
UNDERRTAED
Brad Miller
Brent Barry
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
P.J. Brown
Gary Payton???
Popeye Jones
Tim Duncan
Eddie Jones
Jalen Rose
Kevin Garnett???
Jerry Stackhouse

How is Kevin Garnett over rated. I was talking to my cousin yesterday about who we thought were the most overrated players in the league and garnets name was one of the first to come up. His numbers are good numbers but the guy gets way too much credit for what he does, his team isnt championship calibre and I keep hearing talks of portland trading D Staud and Rasheed for KG when KG's numbers arent really better than sheeds.

as for GP, I dont see how he is over rated. He was pretty much one of the most popular players in the 90's. him and stockton were the 2 marqee pg's and payton is still one of the top 3 or 4 in the league.
Both Garnett and Payton are under "Underrated"..

·
Registered
697 Posts
kings scoring options

i think the kings should make it so that peja,webber and bibby are all scoring options in no order....webber takes too many dumb shots to be a number 1 option, peja doesnt have enough of an inside/back to the basket game imo to be a true number one option (he is more of a pure shooter which makes him better suited to be the number 2 option) and bibby can score inside and outside but you can not have a pg as your main option when you have as many talented players as the kings do, so i think they should just have all of tehm shoot around the same amount, and that would also keep other teams on their toes.. they wouldnt be able to double any of the players consistently or theyd be burned by the other 2....

onto the topic...

oscar robertson is definitely a forgotten player..the only player to avg a triple-double in a season, and yet many ppl dont even know who he is or who he played for....

kg = overrated imo
sar = underrated definitely, and babby i dont understand how u think he lacks passion and intensity.. i think he has the passion, i remember many games in vancouver on that losing team in which he would foul out or be subbed off with no hop of coming back and he would sit there on the bench with a towel over his head, head down, and sometimes even to the point in which he would cry
and these were regular season games, not playoff games. i think once he gets to the playoffs it will get scary. he loves the game and i think he will step up big time once he gets tehre..
but i do agree that he lacks intensity, but id rather label it a lack of assertiveness, he doesnt drive hard to the basket enough for a guy his size with the quicks he has. his numbers havent increased much in teh past few years so that is the main reason people dont rate him very highly(infact his point total has been EXACTLY the same the last 3 seasons, thats somewhat weird), but he has gotten better over the years, but just hasnt applied his improved skills to game situations.. he has taken roughly the same number of shots for basically every year of his career, which infact is around 1,300..
if he took around 1,600 shots, which is around how many pierce, bryant, walker, iverson, and mcgrady took... he would have scored 25.4 ppg... thats not too bad..he just needs to be more assertive and he will be just fine, and an easy choice as a top 10 pick, but until he makes that change he wont be a top 10 player in this league

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Uncle Jesse</b>!
Here's a list of underrated and overrated players in the NBA today

UNDERRTAED
Brad Miller
Brent Barry
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
P.J. Brown
Gary Payton
Popeye Jones
Tim Duncan
Eddie Jones
Jalen Rose
Kevin Garnett
Jerry Stackhouse

OVERRATED
Jason Kidd
Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitzki
Vince Carter
Paul Pierce
Andre Miller
Latrell Sprewell
Kenyon Martin
There is no way Tim Duncun can be underrated. He won the mvp last year(should of been j kidd or shaq)If you win the mvp u cant be underrated.

And I think Ben walace is underrated???

·
Registered
322 Posts
Andre Miller

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Micahel Finley

Has the sweetest fade away since Jordan. Could probably have beat Jordan in his prime.

Oh wait, he did play Jordan in horse while He was in high school and they ended in a stale mate.

LET THE [email protected]#$ HIT THE FAN!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts