Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure if there has been a thread on the motion offense...

but i think the motion offense is hurting the team. we've got three players, or even four- if we include krstic, who can create shots for themselves. the nets should not depend too much on the motion offense.

during the motion offense, the ball is rotated until we find the open player. this is fine, because we have players who should be able to hit the open jumpers easily. the motion offense promotes unselfish basketball. however, this can also negate a player's momentum, especially when a player is hot. coach frank should realize that a player like vince carter needs to hold the ball and create for him to get hot. and sometimes, we don't get open looks after several passes because the opponents are not employing any double team on our players... thus, plenty of missed shots. and we've even heard some comments about over-passing.

all we need are a few pick and rolls... a few isolation plays... and we've got mismatches in favor of our players. and if they double our play-makers, just kick the ball out to the open teammate. basketball can be easy.

i'm not saying that the nets should put the motion offense in the trash bin. the motion offense can be good whenever we use our role players. that's why mcinnis, zoran, uncle cliffy, padget and jackson should learn the plays if they want to contribute for the team. but then again, they can easily score if they just find the proper spots whenever our playmakers are double teamed during isolations and pick and rolls.

i just want kidd, carter, rj, and even krstic take the game in their hands... and for the other players to get the spacing right and find the open spots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
great post in the motion offense too often it's Vince holding the ball waiting for the double team then he passes to the open man usually McInnis or Kidd not the players who should recieve the passes they should be making them getting assists. RJ Kristic and Vince should take the bulk of the shots Frank needs to look into it and change the offense as needed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
L.Frank "experimenting,too unselfish,zone defense,motion offense,player benching when they are hot,overplaying starters,no drive,no rookies,no bench players" system SUCKS.period :curse: :curse: :curse:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,550 Posts
I agree the motion offense is for role players or for the people off the bench
Not when you have players that can drive it in
 

·
Burned
Joined
·
18,772 Posts
The Nets do not run the motion offense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,452 Posts
There is no motion. Everyone is standing around. Phoenix had more back door cuts and motion than the Nets did.
 

·
Burned
Joined
·
18,772 Posts
ghoti said:
The Nets do not run the motion offense.
Here's the deal.

The Nets used to run a true half court motion offense - Pete Carril's Princeton offense.

They ran variations of that for a long time, but last year that was impossible with all the injuries and lack of cohesiveness.

They were very successful with a lot of post offense and isolation and won a lot of games that way.

When this preseason started, Frank's intention was to go back to more motion, cuts, and put these sets in along with the isos and High-Low stuff.

I really haven't seen that work yet. Everyone seems out of sync and they are mostly running the one-on-one stuff.

IMO, the half court offense isn't the issue. Frank is a smart coach and will get that right with some time.

The problem is the transition offense, which is dreadful and should be what the Nets use to gain an advantage over their opponents.

If the defense was aggressive, the rebounders made quick decisions, and everyone made the commitment to run, the Nets would wear teams out by the 4th quarter just like they used to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
ghoti said:
If the defense was aggressive, the rebounders made quick decisions, and everyone made the commitment to run, the Nets would wear teams out by the 4th quarter just like they used to.
True. Especially the bolded part. Kidd has no willing running partners anymore, outside of RJ.

Also, our running game worked best when Kidd had 29-year-old, surgery-free knees. It was often J's sheer will that drove the team in transition. Half a step means a lot at the pro level.
 

·
Burned
Joined
·
18,772 Posts
DoctorJay said:
Also, our running game worked best when Kidd had 29-year-old, surgery-free knees. It was often J's sheer will that drove the team in transition. Half a step means a lot at the pro level.
It's not like he can't still run a break.

In fact, he might still be the best in the World at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
ghoti said:
It's not like he can't still run a break.

In fact, he might still be the best in the World at it.
If given the horses he had previously to run with him, he can still orchestrate the break.

But that's slightly different from the past when he often single handedly WAS the fast break.
 

·
Burned
Joined
·
18,772 Posts
Nenad has .8 apg.

I want Frank to tell us why that is. :curse:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
The Nets can't outrun teams VC is slowed down by the injuries he can't beat any defender down the court and without him there's no break
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,856 Posts
kamaze said:
The Nets can't outrun teams VC is slowed down by the injuries he can't beat any defender down the court and without him there's no break

i think he rushed it, but thats ok, he looked somewhat good yesterday. He'll be 100% soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
no I meant without his last injury he can't outrun players don't take it personal
 

·
Volleyball Coach
Joined
·
24,902 Posts
One of the many things I would like to see Frank do is to have certain lineups designated for various attacks. A running team, a half court grinding team, a defensive team, a zone busting team, etc.

From the limited amount that I've seen of the Nets, I don't see attempts from Frank to do that.
 

·
Burned
Joined
·
18,772 Posts
cpawfan said:
One of the many things I would like to see Frank do is to have certain lineups designated for various attacks. A running team, a half court grinding team, a defensive team, a zone busting team, etc.

From the limited amount that I've seen of the Nets, I don't see attempts from Frank to do that.
I do that in NBA 2K6.

It lets you set lineups for every situation and matchup.

Maybe I should send a copy to Lawrence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
willbkid4ever said:
i'm not sure if there has been a thread on the motion offense...

but i think the motion offense is hurting the team. we've got three players, or even four- if we include krstic, who can create shots for themselves. the nets should not depend too much on the motion offense.

during the motion offense, the ball is rotated until we find the open player. this is fine, because we have players who should be able to hit the open jumpers easily. the motion offense promotes unselfish basketball. however, this can also negate a player's momentum, especially when a player is hot. coach frank should realize that a player like vince carter needs to hold the ball and create for him to get hot. and sometimes, we don't get open looks after several passes because the opponents are not employing any double team on our players... thus, plenty of missed shots. and we've even heard some comments about over-passing.

all we need are a few pick and rolls... a few isolation plays... and we've got mismatches in favor of our players. and if they double our play-makers, just kick the ball out to the open teammate. basketball can be easy.

i'm not saying that the nets should put the motion offense in the trash bin. the motion offense can be good whenever we use our role players. that's why mcinnis, zoran, uncle cliffy, padget and jackson should learn the plays if they want to contribute for the team. but then again, they can easily score if they just find the proper spots whenever our playmakers are double teamed during isolations and pick and rolls.

i just want kidd, carter, rj, and even krstic take the game in their hands... and for the other players to get the spacing right and find the open spots.
What motion offense? Where is this motion offense you speak of? I see some pick and rolls. I see some people running around for the first couple seconds of the shot clock. And, after that I see somebody going one on one w/ the rest of the team standing around (usually too close to whoever's got the ball).

IMO, we just don't have the personnel any more for it. Vince likes to hold the ball. So does Krstic. And RJ, while best on the move, sometimes likes to hold it too. Add to that the fact that most of the game is played w/ only 4 guys offensively, and for long stretches 3. It's Hard to have a motion offense when there's almost always at least one guy on the court who you never throw the ball to, and many times two. I don't know what the answer is, though. I'm beginning to fear we have a tragically mismatched set of players.
 

·
Burned
Joined
·
18,772 Posts
SeaNet said:
Add to that the fact that most of the game is played w/ only 4 guys offensively, and for long stretches 3. It's Hard to have a motion offense when there's almost always at least one guy on the court who you never throw the ball to, and many times two. I don't know what the answer is, though. I'm beginning to fear we have a tragically mismatched set of players.
Collins played extremely well in the Princeton offense, even as a rookie.

He knows it as well as anyone, can play center in it effectively (and you need a good decision maker at center) and running it would make him a better offensive player.

Nenad is a terrific passer, and he would dish out assists like crazy in any kind of motion offense.

Like I already posted, he is averaging .8 APG - which is ludicrous - and it's Frank's fault.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
69,618 Posts
ghoti said:
Collins played extremely well in the Princeton offense, even as a rookie.

He knows it as well as anyone, can play center in it effectively (and you need a good decision maker at center) and running it would make him a better offensive player.

Nenad is a terrific passer, and he would dish out assists like crazy in any kind of motion offense.
Like I already posted, he is averaging .8 APG - which is ludicrous - and it's Frank's fault.

What Nenad are you talking about? He might have the ability, but does he have the willingness to do so. Everytime he gets the ball, he is so trigger happy
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top