Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-heatnote20mar20,0,1961821.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted March 20 2005

MIAMI · Before Saturday's 97-82 victory over the Knicks, Heat coach Stan Van Gundy acknowledged the awkwardness of trying to find minutes for Alonzo Mourning without getting in the way of a good thing.

"He probably needs to get some minutes if he's going to be real effective," he said of the free-agent center added March 1. "But, at the same time, this rotation we have now is real effective."

Van Gundy's dilemma solved itself when reserve power forward Christian Laettner was lost with 4:59 to play in the second quarter with plantar fasciitis of his right foot.

Laettner said he expects to miss two weeks. Van Gundy said Mourning will replace him in the nine-man rotation.

"He will play as one of our four big guys for a while," Van Gundy said.

Mourning said he is ready.

"When I came to this organization, I made sure my body was ready," the 35-year-old former Heat captain said.

Against the Knicks, Mourning entered with 10:17 to play in the fourth quarter, the earliest he has entered in his seven appearances with the team.

Remaining true to his word that Mourning and Shaquille O'Neal rarely would play together, Van Gundy removed Mourning with 6:28 left, when O'Neal was reinserted. Mourning re-entered only when O'Neal was removed for good, with 1:29 left.

Mourning closed with two points, no rebounds and three blocked shots.

LAETTNER CONCERNED

This is the second time Laettner has been hobbled by plantar fasciitis. He missed 10 games earlier this season with the problem in his left foot.

Laettner said he felt the pain after kicking a ball aside and then falling to the court.

"I just put my foot down. I tweaked it a little," the 35-year-old forward said. "I can't heal up unless I take a week or a week and a half.

"It's just a part of getting old."

Mourning said it was not how he wanted to win his minutes, with Laettner saying he is now headed to the five-game injured list.

"He's part of a rotation that was working," he said.

LASTING REMINDER

While Kobe Bryant downplayed the impact of any rift with O'Neal in Thursday's loss in Miami, his former Lakers teammate left a lasting impression.

Bryant struggled through Friday's loss in Indiana with a bruised right leg that came courtesy of the Heat center.

Asked how he was injured, the Lakers guard quipped. "Size 30 shoe, with a phone," referring to the oversized cell phone/shoe lugged around by O'Neal during All-Star Weekend.

Before facing the Pacers, Bryant downplayed the pointed words he traded Thursday night with Heat guard Dwyane Wade.

"That's child's play," he said.

GAME ON

The NBA and the players' union have agreed that even if there is a lockout this summer, charity games will be allowed to continue. Mourning's Miami event, Zo's Summer Groove, is scheduled July 14-17.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Hopefully Laettner could come back soon. We need him in there. He always gives us really good minutes with his passing and midrange j

now we get to see how Zo does in meaningful minutes. Could be a blessing in disguise, but could also hurt us since laet was so efficient

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
THE NEWS

Heat forward Udonis Haslem suffered a separated left shoulder at the end of Saturday's game against the Knicks, according to the Miami Herald. The Heat don't play again until Tuesday against the Rockets and Haslem will be evaluated before then.

OUR VIEW

Heat fans were growing more impatient with the fact center Alonzo Mourning has played only 33 minutes since being signed by the team, but Haslem's injury, along with forward/center Christian Laettner's case of plantar fasciitis could change the situation. We'll update you when we get further information.
from fanball.com

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
If Haslem misses any time, we are very weak up front. Zo is going to have to come up huge

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
yep...now's the time for Zo to contribute...

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
At least they're getting the injuries now... We need them come playoff time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts