Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever someone analyzes SG's they always mention "can move without the ball" (moving without the ball is to elude defenders well, cutting at the right time, getting open, constant motion). Young athletes in the NBA are sometimes bad at this because they were usually the focal point of the offense

Who are some of the best at moving without the ball. I think to watch basketball analytically, you can't just watch the guy with the ball all the time. Many say Rip Hamilton is one. Reggie miller is another. Michael Finley comes to mind. any others?

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Rip and Reggie are great. PS The girl in your avatar was better looking then that Baseball dude ;) .

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Jarvis Hayes and Rip Hamilton are two people I would say are good at moving without the ball.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Both Jason Richardson and Mike Dunleavy both move without the ball very well. Neither can take anyone off the dribble, so this aspect of their games has become very important.

I agree with your point, moving without the ball is becoming a lost art, epsecially with all the isolation plays teams run now a days. There are so many players who can't dribble the ball worth a damn, but are so athletic they could make a living moving and cutting without the ball and using that athletic ability to finish.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Glen Rice was always pretty good at it.

Ray Allen and Peja Stojakovic are, today.

Basically, players who excel at spot-up shooting and like to come around screens and flash open long enough to get a pass and fire up a shot tend to be very good at moving around, using screens and working their way open.

I agree with those who said Reggie Miller. He's probably the best I've seen at it.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Bobby Jackson
Peja
^^2 reason why kings lead the league in assist

Carlise teaches spacin very well
and tex winters/phil jackson teach cuttin well

R.Davis is pretty good
someone already mentioned Jrich

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
hey how nice was the fake left cut right by desmond mason before dunking on lamond murray. :yes:

Both defenders thought he was going to set a pick, both defenders stuck on kucok, who hit desmond on an ace pass for the dunk. Great cut!!

All time - Reggie
Now - Rip

Believe it or not hes not a shooting guard, but Jamaal Magloire has some pretty sweet cuts off the ball for a few easy layups every game.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
yes magloire is a reason baron gets ALOT of his assists
magloire is definatly a great cutter for a center

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
I would never mention AI.

Or Francis or Marbury. They all tend to dribble way too long which makes their whole offense stagnant.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Some that come to mind are...

Reggie Miller
Allan Houston
Ray Allen
Peja Stojakovic
Richard Hamilton

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>spongyfungy</b>!
Whenever someone analyzes SG's they always mention "can move without the ball" (moving without the ball is to elude defenders well, cutting at the right time, getting open, constant motion). Young athletes in the NBA are sometimes bad at this because they were usually the focal point of the offense

Who are some of the best at moving without the ball. I think to watch basketball analytically, you can't just watch the guy with the ball all the time. Many say Rip Hamilton is one. Reggie miller is another. Michael Finley comes to mind. any others?
Rex Chapman drove his defenders crazy with him being grabbed by them as he went through a maze of curls & screens. John Starks and Horny also ran their defenders around. Neither of them were as good as Reggie & Rex, imho.

If you want to go back further than that, even Bird moved without the ball, as did Hondo, who was in almost constant movement.

PS) I forgot to add that I have seen Rip in person and he is excellent at moving without the ball, as is <b>David Wesley,</b> who burned Rip in the game I went to in 2001. Rip's notoriously bed defense is a truism, but gets covered well now that he is in Detroit.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
most great shooters are also very good without the ball

kirilenko is another guy who gets a lot of his points on great cuts
and AI is very good too, due to his speed and quickness mostly

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What makes Rip Hamilton so great at moving without the ball is the guy NEVER gets tired. He is out there flying around of screens and down the baseline at full speed all game. He said in an interview if he is starting to get a little winded he knows the guy guarding him is dying.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts