Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play ball about every day with a few guys, just in the gym at school, after football or whatever. I'm not a serious player, and no way I could make the b-ball team at school or anything. But, just wondering, do any of you all have any good go-to post moves? Right now, all I can do is the Shaq thing, where I back in, knock somebody down (I'm a football lineman; not too hard against basketball players...), and just shoot a layup. I'm working on this little back in, right head fake, and then go with a left-handed baby hook. I'm trying to get to where I can back in, face up, cross over, and use my left hand on a jump and use the right to get some space.

Any of you all got any good post moves? What about just ways to drive on somebody? Need some help with my moves!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I played semi serious basketball for about 3 years. I now just play with a team on saturday morning and try to get as much practise as possible.

I like beating my defenders on the dribble. If you are a good enough ball handler I suggest the AI crossover. Read my directions.

First off cool hand luke this move gets better with practise. If you practise this on defenders it makes you learn how to use it faster but by yourself with a ball is how I perfected it.

First step.

K what you want to do is dribble the ball with your left hand facing your defender. Quicly take a wide step to the left leaning forward,Try to throw a nice head fake as if your going to your left, Then quicky as the defender anticpates that move, bring the ball fast to your right and keep him behind you. You should have a 1 step lead on your defender for an easy layup. Remember once you use the crossover, dribble with your Right so he cant steal the ball.

Its very effective and easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. I'll work on that one. Hopefully I've got the quickness to do it!!

I'll share one of my own. It's a post move, but can be effective from the top of the key, or anywhere else.

You start off with the ball and your dribbles, back to the opponent. Then, you can either turn or not, it's up to you. But say you're 8 feet out, with your back to the basket, and you're on the left of it (right if you face up). You spin like you would normally, but use your left hand to knock the ball around the other side of you, away from the basket. After the spin, change directions, and pick the ball up with your right hand. Then, hit an Akeem Olajuwan fade... or just use the half-step to go to the basket.

That probably didn't make any sense... but I use the move that Allen Iverson did on that Reebok commercial a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If I understood that correctly. It's the Dream shake that Hakeem uses right. When he puts his back on the defender fake spins one way and spins to the other side with a fade.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I have an exact game as Penny Hardaway.

In my prime, lol I like to beat guys off the dribble. Because of weight and injuries(lol, minor), I couldn't jump as high as 4 years ago.

Here is what I like to do, I like to ask for a switch so that I can still good enough to beat bigger guys off the dribble. But when I have to score on a smaller size player or about the same size player, I like to use my post up game.

I have variety of post up moves, I can spin if I feel the pressure, I can do hook shot and I also can do fadeaway left and right.

But since I was more of a scorer in younger days but then I am a far better distributor right now.

For the guys I am playing with and against, I consider myself I can give 17/6/5 against those guys I played.

The best player among them? No, but one of the better perimeter player in the game IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Originally posted by Junkie101
I played semi serious basketball for about 3 years. I now just play with a team on saturday morning and try to get as much practise as possible.

I like beating my defenders on the dribble. If you are a good enough ball handler I suggest the AI crossover. Read my directions.

First off cool hand luke this move gets better with practise. If you practise this on defenders it makes you learn how to use it faster but by yourself with a ball is how I perfected it.

First step.

K what you want to do is dribble the ball with your left hand facing your defender. Quicly take a wide step to the left leaning forward,Try to throw a nice head fake as if your going to your left, Then quicky as the defender anticpates that move, bring the ball fast to your right and keep him behind you. You should have a 1 step lead on your defender for an easy layup. Remember once you use the crossover, dribble with your Right so he cant steal the ball.

Its very effective and easy once you get the hang of it.
Also if i may add something. When you cross him up and then switch to your right and start dribbling, take your left leg and put it in front of your defenders. Once this is done the defender cannot get to you unless he steps through your leg or goes around it. This move is very effective.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Originally posted by KABI

Also if i may add something. When you cross him up and then switch to your right and start dribbling, take your left leg and put it in front of your defenders. Once this is done the defender cannot get to you unless he steps through your leg or goes around it. This move is very effective.
Wouldent the defender fall on his @$$ if my leg was behind his. That sorta sounds dangerous

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Originally posted by Junkie101

Wouldent the defender fall on his @$$ if my leg was behind his. That sorta sounds dangerous
Oh No. You don't trip him sorry. You just put your body in front of him so he can'
t get through. Would you call boxing out dangerous? That is all it really is, is putting your body between the ball and your defender

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Originally posted by Penny Hardaway
I have an exact game as Penny Hardaway.

In my prime, lol I like to beat guys off the dribble. Because of weight and injuries(lol, minor), I couldn't jump as high as 4 years ago.

Here is what I like to do, I like to ask for a switch so that I can still good enough to beat bigger guys off the dribble. But when I have to score on a smaller size player or about the same size player, I like to use my post up game.

I have variety of post up moves, I can spin if I feel the pressure, I can do hook shot and I also can do fadeaway left and right.

But since I was more of a scorer in younger days but then I am a far better distributor right now.

For the guys I am playing with and against, I consider myself I can give 17/6/5 against those guys I played.

The best player among them? No, but one of the better perimeter player in the game IMO.
LOL, you're killing me Penny. Right now, Dalibor Bagaric has a better permimeter game then you!! Go back to street ball, or better yet, I heard the magic can use a SG, since T-Mac wants to be a SF. LOL, you'd still sit behind Mike Miller. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts