Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was finally time to turn the page on BU and think about where does the Aeast go! It seems from the Commish's comments that the league is committed to making things better and moving forward. I think it is safe to stay that we are going to keep all 8 remaining members. The time is now to see if the league Presidents and this commish is focused on moving the league forward and how they go about it. Anyone have any thoughts on how to move the league foward. No offense but I'm sick of reading about BU leaving, crying, complaining etc.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Not sure what your looking for people to say exactly....a crappy conference got crappier.

I'd like to see the AE add Q-PAC because it has a decent basketball program and would be a good replacement for BU- outside of that, no clue who the conference could attract and could care less about 98% of the candidates.

If not, the AE is Vermont going for the autobid in the 30th ranked conference.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I think that AE should add Q, Bryant, CCSU, and Monmouth to get to 12........and ensure that the league retains continued auto bids in field hockey, baseball, softball, and m&w lacrosse.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I think that AE should add Q, Bryant, CCSU, and Monmouth to get to 12........and ensure that the league retains continued auto bids in field hockey, baseball, softball, and m&w lacrosse.
+1...I like that group of schools and think it works well within the league. Be nice to add someone a little closer to UMBC but not sure who that would be...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
With BU leaving are there any AE sponsored sports that do not have the required number of teams for that sport to have an automatic bid to the NCAA's? With the way the league is so reactionary, that may be the only way the AE feels any necessity to add a school or two.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Sign me up.

I know that conference officials have said they aren't going to rush into expansion despite all the volatility that's out there- but I think adding *someone* right now would be a good move for the conference and would add some semblance of confidence and stability.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Think they would hold the AE tournament at Mohegan if all 4 of those schools joined? You'd have three CT schools

·
Registered
23 Posts
If not Mohegan Sun Quinnipiac would be a perfect place for the AE post-season tournament. Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe/ESPN noted that QU's TD Bank Sports Center is the "Best Facility in New England",

http://www.quinnipiacbobcats.com/sports/mbkb/2011-12/releases/20120321lgj2x3

http://articles.boston.com/2012-03-...ers-ncaa-championship-basketball-tradition/12

Feb. 16, 2012: TD Bank Sports Center, Hamden, Conn.

St. Francis (N.Y.) 64, Quinnipiac 56

If the question is, “What’s the showcase sports facility in New England?’’ then I must instruct the operators to hold all calls, because we have a clear winner. It sits on a hill in Hamden, Conn.

I have saved the best for one of the last, although I can’t say I planned it that way. But when you tell people you’re going all over New England to see college basketball games, the first thing they say is, “Have you been to Quinnipiac?’’

The fact of the matter is that Quinnipiac got it right. Athletic director Jack McDonald, a Boston College guy from Braintree and former Eagles track coach, was the lucky AD who got to plan this building, which houses matching 3,200-seat venues for hockey and basketball.

After entering the structure, you turn right for hockey and left for basketball. On either side you’ll find theater seats, perfectly pitched in an oval to let fans enjoy the action. And you ought to see the locker rooms, meeting facilities, and other stuff, for both men and women. There’s none better in New England.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe/ESPN noted that QU's TD Bank Sports Center is the "Best Facility in New England",
Sure it is a great facility, but 3,200 is small. The best part of the facilty was the design of a dual hoops/hockey rink with a shared lobby. There are also some nice seats and ammenities. But this nonsense that it is the "best facility in New England" is just a silly a QU marketing line. Agganis, Gample, Ryan Center, etc. are all bigger and better facilities in New England.

TD Bank Center is very nice, however it is small and frankly it's not even the best basketball facility in the NEC anymore. Monmouth's Multpurpose Activity Center (MAC), a 4,100-seat facility with an indoor track, is the best hoops gym in the league hands down.

See more about Monmouth's facilityy - http://www.monmouth.edu/macatmonmouth/default.asp

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sure it is a great facility, but 3,200 is small. The best part of the facilty was the design of a dual hoops/hockey rink with a shared lobby. There are also some nice seats and ammenities. But this nonsense that it is the "best facility in New England" is just a silly a QU marketing line. Agganis, Gample, Ryan Center, etc. are all bigger and better facilities in New England.

TD Bank Center is very nice, however it is small and frankly it's not even the best basketball facility in the NEC anymore. Monmouth's Multpurpose Activity Center (MAC), a 4,100-seat facility with an indoor track, is the best hoops gym in the league hands down.

See more about Monmouth's facilityy - http://www.monmouth.edu/macatmonmouth/default.asp
Yeah, it's hard to believe Q's facility is better than Agganis. (although we do have that problem of filling it for hoops). I think it would be a pretty nice coup for the AE to land those 4 talked about schools from the NEC. But is it even possible? How would football be worked out?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to believe Q's facility is better than Agganis. (although we do have that problem of filling it for hoops). I think it would be a pretty nice coup for the AE to land those 4 talked about schools from the NEC. But is it even possible? How would football be worked out?
That's the big question. IMO - QU may be a viable candidate for the AE (if they don't already have their sights on something better), but Bryant/CCSU/Monmouth would need a home for football.

I just don't envision many circumstances why any (or all) of those schools would leave the NEC for the AE, if football had to be an FCS Independent. I guess there is the slim possiblity that NEC would allow those schools to compete in the NEC as football affiliates, but I'm not sure that's ideal for the league or the schools.

Personally, I'm holding out hope that the AE brings on CCSU & QU for next year, and Central will become the 6th member of the CAA Football North (UNH/Maine/Albany/SBU/URI/CCSU). However, other than wishful thinking on my part, I've heard nothing to suggest that it might actually happen.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the discussion I was talking about :) I love the idea of adding three schools and think it is important to get a travel partner for UMBC. Hopefully the Aeast does have a legit plan for expansion and they make it happen sooner rather than later!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Ace, how would you rank the NEC in terms of potential for the respective athletic programs? Monmouth has a great facility. They must be near the top and being in Jersey probably helps.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Ace, how would you rank the NEC in terms of potential for the respective athletic programs? Monmouth has a great facility. They must be near the top and being in Jersey probably helps.
CCSU - Medium sized public, improving all-around, good balance of in-state/out-of-state recruits for all sports, young AD, very successful men's hoops, great potential with football, and regionally recognized soccer and baseball, great attendance.

Monmouth - Very successful sports across the board, improving academics, top-notch facilities (specifically hoops), NJ Shore and gets local media coverage, puts players in the pros, solid attendance.

QU - Seemingly unlimited budget, good coaches, marketing/self-exposure, good facilities, solid athletics especially in minor sports, very good student involvement/attendance.

Bryant - Young transitional program, National ranked MLax, good baseball, and improving in everything else, commitment to DI, solid student/community support.

Sacred Heart - Broad and well-balanced athletic sponsorship, a PL/Ivy lite model that increases enrollment and participation, growing recognition and academics, solid hoops program, poor attendance/commuter campus.

Robert Morris is also a good program and its men's basketball has recently been better than anyone in the NEC, and I would argue better than anything in the AE. But Pittsburgh is a long trip in this bus league.

I also think Mt. St. Mary's and Wagner are also 2 very good athletic programs, but they have a tiny enrollment (less than 3k). St. Francis (Pa) is not quite as good as those too, and their rural location and tiny enrollment make them an afterthought.

FDU has fallen on hard times all around, at one point they were on par with Monmouth.

SFNY should not be a DI program. They are a long way from their major college hoops days in the 1950s. This should be a D-III program.

Oops: Forgot LIU. Outside of men's hoops, I could do without them. Utltra urban campus, has solid softball and volleyball, some newer facilities, but lacks fan support. Athletically, like a Drexel, brings very little to the table despite its size and can be forgotten.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Fred, you posted the same thing in the PL forum, so I'll follow up here. I don't think many people disagree that Quinnipiac has maybe the best basketball program and best upside of any program in the NEC.

My point in the PL forum was that if that league wanted to add a school, it would almost certainly have football. And if it didn't go for football, Q doesn't even represent the best fit in CT. Fairfield is a currently a better program and a better academic fit for the PL. That said, either of those schools would be great adds for BU, but it seems neither will happen unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts