Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are any of you other laker fans sick and tired of hearing all this talk about how great mike bibby is and how he is gonna be the next john stockton??

IMO he just had a great series, he got all his points on high post screens and i think that he isn't as good as what people make him to be.. some kings fans are saying he deserves the MAX contract, which i disagree with..but if they want to sort of waste their money like that i say be my guest! :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Mike Bibby truly is overrated by most people, he is a good point guard but so far thats all he has shown me.

Until he has a better season than guys like Darell Armstrong and Nick Van Exel, how can you say hes better than them. True, he showed that he can hit some big shots at the end of games, but that doesn't mean he deserves to get a max contract. He is a top 10 point guard and he should get a nice contract but not the max.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
He needs a great regular season to show that he didn't just 'get hot' during the playoffs.

Then again, maybe he will be similiar to Reggie Miller, coming up big in the playoffs in the future. Don't really know, but can't wait to find out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by Shaqs big toe
He needs a great regular season to show that he didn't just 'get hot' during the playoffs.
I agree-but so far he hasn't shown that and doesn't deserve the max.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with all of you guys..hopefully we'll find someone on the LAkers team that has enough guts to get up in his face adn deny him points.

"Bibby-Stopper"
 

·
BBB.net Archivist
Joined
·
26,901 Posts
That comparison to Stockton is way off. Bibby is a medicore passer for a point guard and doesn't drive to the basket very well. At the same time he's a better shooter with more of a scoring mentality. When Stockton ran the pick-and-roll he dished it to Malone for the dunk. When Bibby runs the pick-and-roll he shoots the jumper.

People always get overrated based on great play in the playoffs. AFter the first round some people started calling Dirk the best forward in the game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Jemel Irief
That comparison to Stockton is way off. Bibby is a medicore passer for a point guard and doesn't drive to the basket very well. At the same time he's a better shooter with more of a scoring mentality. When Stockton ran the pick-and-roll he dished it to Malone for the dunk. When Bibby runs the pick-and-roll he shoots the jumper.

People always get overrated based on great play in the playoffs. AFter the first round some people started calling Dirk the best forward in the game.
I never agreed with Waltons description of Bibby either..but i think that people are way over hyping is ability. I mean sure he made some great shots but where was he before this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
What better time to show up - than in the playoffs? Isn't that what most Laker fans like about Kobe? If it's true for Reggie, Kobe, and many other players, why can't it be true for Bibby?

Bibby is a great little PG. It doesn't matter what any fan thinks of him, it matters what his franchise thinks of him. He'll get what he gets when it comes to money.
 

·
Beware of Elbows
Joined
·
18,500 Posts
The talk only started in the WCF. He did a lot in the Playoffs, but what did he do before then? Nothing much, he was just a good starting PG. Now we hear that he will be one of the best starting PG. If he can prove to me that he can be great in the regular season, I will start believing all of the hype. I can't deny that he was fabulous in the Playoffs though.
 

·
Jersey Girl
Joined
·
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by The X Factor
The talk only started in the WCF. He did a lot in the Playoffs, but what did he do before then? Nothing much, he was just a good starting PG. Now we hear that he will be one of the best starting PG. If he can prove to me that he can be great in the regular season, I will start believing all of the hype. I can't deny that he was fabulous in the Playoffs though.
really? yes, i admit that i am one of those people who took notice of bibby kinda late, but i took notice of him before the w.c.f. no one gives him credit for how he played in the series vs. the mavs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Bibby is one of the better young point guards in the game. As a Laker fan he is the one person I fear the most getting in the way of the 4peat. I don't think he is overrated at all, I think he has been underrated his whole career until now. Clips blew it by taking Olowakandi over him. They needed a point guard then and they need one now. Olowakandi was VERY raw and before this last season many thought he was the worst number one pick of all time. The Grizz donated him to the Kings for JWill. Now I love Jason Williams and if he ever dedicates himself to be a true pro it may be over for anyone trying to defend him but the guy is a headcase and a little heavy on the turnovers. As a Laker fan I could always count on him to make a bad pass or take an unnecessary three to kill a Kings run. I also understand the Grizz desperately wanted a player who could sell tix and jerseys but they handed Bibby over to the Kings. CWebb said that if the Kings trade Williams then he's leaving but when he saw they got Bibby he shut up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Bibby is one the the better players in the NBA. He hit plenty of good shots in clutch but he is not a guy can you build around.

He is one of the key players for the Kings against certain matchups, Lakers cleary dont have a answer for Bibby but Bibby is one of the better point guards in the game only. He is not nearly as good as Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, and etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Originally posted by BizzyRipsta


really? yes, i admit that i am one of those people who took notice of bibby kinda late, but i took notice of him before the w.c.f. no one gives him credit for how he played in the series vs. the mavs.
Exactly Bibby had a great series against the Mavs, then he just shone if the W.C.F's. We'll just have to wait till next year to see :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
bibby never had to....

Bibby never really had to or got the chance to shoot that much well because lets face it the Kings are loaded with offensive talent.

I have watched Bibby since his Arizona days. Believe me he will show his skills this regular season. Kep in mind last year could have been his rookie season if he stayed in school al 4 years but who does nowadays but anyways. He will prove himslf wacth.
 

·
BBB.net Archivist
Joined
·
26,901 Posts
Originally posted by TheRifleman
What better time to show up - than in the playoffs? Isn't that what most Laker fans like about Kobe? If it's true for Reggie, Kobe, and many other players, why can't it be true for Bibby?
Because people like Kobe and Shaq are also all-stars and all-NBA players in the regular season, they go to a even higher level in the playoffs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
I agree with whoever said it's about the match-ups Lakers really didn't have anyone to match-up with him, Bibby is very solid and on the Kings team he shines more because in the clutch he's the only one who wants to take the big shot Cwebb darn sure doesn't neither does Peja,or Christie as we have seen, Its hard to make a claim that a player who avg about what 13 pts per deserves the Max but on that team clutch shooting may be worth the max seeming as thats the biggest part of the game,without Bibby the Lakers probably sweep the Kings .
 

·
Beware of Elbows
Joined
·
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by BizzyRipsta


really? yes, i admit that i am one of those people who took notice of bibby kinda late, but i took notice of him before the w.c.f. no one gives him credit for how he played in the series vs. the mavs.
series vs. the Mavericks = in the Playoffs
 

·
Jersey Girl
Joined
·
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by The X Factor


series vs. the Mavericks = in the Playoffs
yeah, i know...it's just that everyone's been saying how popular bibby got since the western conference finals, and i'm saying that i took notice of him before the wcf.
 

·
Beware of Elbows
Joined
·
18,500 Posts
Ok, I'm just saying that for me to believe all of this hype, I want to see him put up great numbers in the regular season.

Not that exploding in the Playoffs is bad or anything.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top