Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is he ever gonna get to play for you guys? If Roberts goes pro does he become a bigger part of the team or have you recruited another good big man? I went to high school with him and was wondering what you guys thought of him.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ok, this guy has been goin' through injuries is whole career, he finally got his chance to shine the other night, and boy did he ever, he looked very good out on the court, he can rebound, a fair inside game, and he run the court pretty well, but this guy is overlooked by most MSU fans(even thought he's 7'2), I just can't wait to see what he will be like his Junior and Senior years.

PS: I don't think Roberts will be goin' Pro.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Morgan is pretty much a stiff. He became a crowd favorite when he replaced Campbell (who was playing like a moron that game...like always...) and he put in those great minutes.

When you're 7'2" and you aren't ahead of Lincoln Smith in the rotation, then you're probably nothing special as far as your skills are concerned. For our team's sake, however, I hope he develops into a fine backup for whenever Marcus wants to get his head out of his ***.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by <b>UKfan4Life</b>!

Sounds like wishful thinkin' to me. If he continues to have such an unbelieveable year, you can bet he'll opt for the draft. His draft status I'm sure is already through the roof.
According to the gf of one of the players on the team, that I am good friends with, "Lawrence will not be going pro because his mother is adamant about him getting his degree." Not to mention his family is not in "need" of money. His aunt in Robin Roberts of ESPN.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I graduated HS when he was a junior. That year he was a ben wallace type player Rebounds, blocks S:naughty: ,and dunks not much else.(6"11 then i believe) But his senior year he went on to average 20something ppg. So his offense must've been at least decent unless it was 10 dunks per game,lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
He still needs to add some size, he got pushed around a little bit down low. He has a nice little babyhook and runs the floor well. I don't think he's really seen the court enough to be labeled as good or bad, but the word on him is that he works very hard in practice all the time, and I've always noticed he supports the team with all his heart. He's always waving his arms to the crowd and cheering for his teammates. Over the years our coaching staff has done a good job of developing players, so maybe he'll improve more now that he's injury-free.

In my opinion, all he needs to do right now is be able to come in, hold his own on defense, and grab a rebound when it comes his way. We don't ask him to score a lot of points, and those few minutes are big in terms of rest for the more-played post players. He did that against UT, and hopefully he can do it more as the season goes on.

As for Roberts, my gut feeling is he'll stay. Of course, that's really just a guess on my part but only time will tell. If he has big games in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments, I think he'll be gone. He still has off games sometimes, so it's clear he's far from full potential. He has a better shot than Mario Austin did though, IMO. But, we'll worry about that next year as this year is all that matters right now.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by <b>UKfan4Life</b>!

Sounds like wishful thinkin' to me. If he continues to have such an unbelieveable year, you can bet he'll opt for the draft. His draft status I'm sure is already through the roof.

When MSU played UK, My dad was eating a restaurant, and there were 2 scouts there, one from the Hawks and one from the Grizzlies, and they both said that he needed one more year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
don't want to contradict...but..

Originally posted by <b>ChrisNOLA</b>!

According to the gf of one of the players on the team, that I am good friends with, "Lawrence will not be going pro because his mother is adamant about him getting his degree." Not to mention his family is not in "need" of money. His aunt in Robin Roberts of ESPN.

First thing... Robin Roberts might have money... But that doesn't mean the Roberts family is not in "need" of money. It's not like she has Oprah money that can be spread out and make everybody in her family well off.

Second... Lawrence's mom... EXACT opposite. She wants her son to go pro as soon as possible. Mississippi State is most definately a one year engagement if Lawrence is guaranteed a first round selection.

Lastly... I would advise him to stay another year and possibly be a lotto pick. But if he gets the feeling that the extra year won't make a difference as far as getting him into the lottery... He might as well go pro this year.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Re: don't want to contradict...but..

Originally posted by <b>Yackman</b>!
Second... Lawrence's mom... EXACT opposite. She wants her son to go pro as soon as possible.

how do you know this? please tell me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lawrence Robets has two older sisters... Bianca and Rene. He also has a niece who's name is Ashley. He has grandparents in Mississippi and his mother, Cynthia, is from New Orleans. He is the grandson of the late Nolan Marshall, who was the first black sargent in the Marine Corp during WWII.

Either I have inside info.... or I'm a stalker.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
^^ You sound legit.

NONE of the mock drafts have Roberts in them. So, my question... if Roberts dosen't get a guaranteed 1st round pick, is he going pro?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The issue about a guaranteed first round pick of course is going to be who's making the guarantee.

I'm certain that SOMEONE will tell Lawrence he's going to be a first round pick...

But I think he will only leave if he is a lock. Lock, meaning several sources believe he is a sure thing for the first round.

I don't think Lawrence has a problem returning to Miss State... but I do know that everyone is anxious to see him make it to the next level as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If he goes pro he is makin' a huge mistake.

Name one player from MSU that went pro early, and turned out to be a good NBA player?

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BrYaNBaIlEy06</b>!

Name one player from MSU that went pro early, and turned out to be a good NBA player?
That doesn't matter. If the player doesn't end up being good in the NBA, who's fault is that? MSU's? Nope. The Coach's? Nope. The player's? Bingo. Roberts has the talent to be a great pro even if he leaves after this year. He was Big 12 player of the year and is busy dominating the SEC, so he's not your average MSU player.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Mario, Roberts - both 6'9, both will never be able to handle 90% of the PF's in the NBA, this means they mus play a SF position, a position that neither one of them has ever most likely played before, I just don't know, I think he needs 1 more year, i'm not sayin' this because i would love for him to stay, i'm sayin' this with a gut feeling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts