Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missouri started out extremely slow, like they have in the past couple of meetings with Nebraska, with only 8 points with about 8 minutes to go in the first half (or at least it seemed that way. At halftime they had 30, I think). They were down by as many as 10 in the first half but fought back and ended up winning by 20.

Overall it was a very good game for the Tigers. They only turned the ball over 8 times, which is a huge plus for them. I wonder if that had anything to do with Spencer Laurie running the point for most of the game. Pulley only played 2 or 3 minutes in the first half before hurting his wrist (I think) and didn't play at all after that. On other tiger sites people have commented on Laurie's terrible defense in this game, but I thought it was excellent. He held his man to just a few points and kept him out of the lane all game long.

The biggest story of this game is the emergence of Thomas Gardner. This is his second or third big game already and it looks like he's ready for an even bigger role. He's proving to be a great defender and a smart player on the offensive end, as well. Look for him to find his way into the starting lineup sometime this season.

·
Registered
50 Posts
NU just whizzing down their legs AGAIN. I don't care what people say, but we just cannot put it all together. We seemed in control early and just fell apart. Collier may be gone after this season if this keeps up. I think he's a good coach, but it's getting ridiculous. It may save him that he's got a good class coming in.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Husker4theSpurs</b>!
NU just whizzing down their legs AGAIN. I don't care what people say, but we just cannot put it all together. We seemed in control early and just fell apart. Collier may be gone after this season if this keeps up. I think he's a good coach, but it's getting ridiculous. It may save him that he's got a good class coming in.
no offense, but with the nebraska AD, he would be fired under his status. Fired Solich after a 9 win season. Respectable season. So it won't surpise me if the AD fire Collier after a NIT season this year.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>kansasalumn</b>!

no offense, but with the nebraska AD, he would be fired under his status. Fired Solich after a 9 win season. Respectable season. So it won't surpise me if the AD fire Collier after a NIT season this year.
How can it be that so many people are clueless about the Solich situation? He wasn't fired for his 9 wins. He was fired because he couldn't recruit. It was unlikely that he'd ever end up taking the Huskers back to the top, so he was let go before it got too bad. I don't agree with how it was done, but he wasn't recruiting well. Mizzou beat him for three players last year who Nebraska would've landed any year with Osborne heading the program (Adam Speiker, a center from Webb City (Wistroms, traditional NU recruiting hot spot in Missouri), TE Martin Rucker, brother of former Husker and current Panther Mike Rucker, and Tyler Luellen, an OT from Missouri who was nationally ranked and chose between NU and MU). Peterson's a moron, but not because he fired Solich. He's a moron because of how he handled the whole situation.

Solich wasn't fired because his team only won 9 games.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Solich should've been gone before last year, he's a mediocre coach of a mediocre team. 9 wins or not, they definitely weren't going to be getting to the level Nebraska should be at.

Nebraska basketball is a totally different situation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's tough to be a basketball fan up here! Love the game, but our team frustrates me SO much! Some good recruits coming in next year, but don't know if Barry will be around. Maybe it's best he's not. Pederson believes we can become a football AND basketball school, but may not have the cash to throw around for a while after all that's going on with football/facilities improvements.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>Husker4theSpurs</b>!
It's tough to be a basketball fan up here! Love the game, but our team frustrates me SO much! Some good recruits coming in next year, but don't know if Barry will be around. Maybe it's best he's not. Pederson believes we can become a football AND basketball school, but may not have the cash to throw around for a while after all that's going on with football/facilities improvements.
Who needs to go is Pederson. I agree with getting rid of Solich, but not how it was done, and his handling of the hiring process was a complete joke.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
The odds of Nebraska becoming a basketball powerhouse are not very good IMO, because you soon will have 11 teams out of 12 (not including Texas A&M) who will consistently have good talent on the teams (yes, even Baylor. Watch what Drew does with that team in the future). If people expect Nebraska to go to the tournament year in and year out, they are going to be mildly dissapointed because the only teams that I see being tournament teams in the Big 12 year in and year out is Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma. The Big 12 looks like they will usually top out at 6 bids.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
The odds of Nebraska becoming a basketball powerhouse are not very good IMO, because you soon will have 11 teams out of 12 (not including Texas A&M) who will consistently have good talent on the teams (yes, even Baylor. Watch what Drew does with that team in the future). If people expect Nebraska to go to the tournament year in and year out, they are going to be mildly dissapointed because the only teams that I see being tournament teams in the Big 12 year in and year out is Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma. The Big 12 looks like they will usually top out at 6 bids.
Um, you missed one.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>pharcyde</b>!

Um, you missed one.
I don't think I missed one. Once Quin Snyder is fired and Mizzou goes on probation I fully anticipate the Tigers having trouble making the tournament year in and year out. I mean the program isn't that good. You guys have never even been to the Final Four before.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. Quin Snyder won't be fired (Tony Harvey probably will, though)

2. Mizzou won't be put on probation

3. Mizzou has made the tourney over most of the last 25 years at least. While never making a final four, they have consistently been good enough to get a bid and that won't change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts