Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just me, but what I saw was a game between two talented, well coached teams. It went back and forth from start to finish with MU pulling out in front in the end. It was a sloppy game at times, but a lot of the turnovers seemed to be caused by active defensive players and not so much bad offensive mistakes.

And I think it's safe to say now that Mizzou is looking better. I could see this coming after the Texas A&M game, it just took a little longer than I thought it would.

Oh yeah, and Pulley can't shoot at all, but can push the ball up the court. He'll be a valuable player for Mizzou this season except at the end of close games.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I don't know what to say about this game.. I guess I'd call it a competitive game between two struggling team's.. The Sooners young backcourt was pretty impressive.. While their supporting big's put in some good effort's.. Mizzou winning alway's cure's my criticism's for a week.

·
Esquire
8,573 Posts
What the hell? OU is going to drive me to drink. They need to get it together. Is that 3 in a row now Hollis?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
It was really only a matter of time until OU was exposed. They are just not as talented as in years past. This is not the year to count on Oklahoma doing much in the NCAA tournament. More likely a first round upset victim (though I won't be surprised) than a Sweet Sixteen team.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
This was one UGLY game, especially in the first half. Reminded me of the first half of the KU - Nevada game. The amount of turnovers, bad passes and general sloppiness left a lot to be desired. But that happens in college basketball, especially at Lloyd Noble.

Some observations:

* Andrew Lavender is a turnover machine. Pretty good shot when he's about 20' away from the nearest opposing post player, but I think he's been a little overhyped this year so far. I've seen three OU games start to finish and while solid for a frosh, he hasn't been overwhelmingly impressive. In all honesty, he reminds me a lot of former KU McD's AA 5'6" PG Calvin Rayford.

* Paulding can be one hell of a player if he just asserts himself. All he needs to do is put the ball on the floor and head to the hoop, and he's so athletic and strong that he has the upper hand over the defense the vast majority of the time. Also, he's absolutely money in the clutch from downtown. I swear that guy hits more big baskets from behind the arc than I've seen in a while.

* I still think Arthur Johnson is overrated. If Jabahri Brown had more than a couple brain cells, and if Kevin Bookout could actually lift his right arm over his head, AJ probably ends up with a pretty poor boxscore. As it was, however, AJ took advantage of the defense and put up some decent numbers, although he hardly looked like an All-American.

* Speaking of Jabahri Brown, he has the basketball IQ of a mallard duck.

* OU's guards can't penetrate, but they're good shooters. Somewhat of a problem when playing a quick team on the perimeter.

* MU's defense looked a lot better in the second half of the second half and OT.

* Overall, however, I didn't see a big improvement by MU compared to other games (losses) I've observed. OU was the perfect game for them right now, though.

* Josh Kroenke has no business on a major D1 team.

* Randy Pulley makes Aaron Miles look like Peja Stojakovic.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>pharcyde</b>!

And I think it's safe to say now that Mizzou is looking better. I could see this coming after the Texas A&M game, it just took a little longer than I thought it would.
Great, let's conveniently forget a loss at home on Monday.

You beat a bad Team at home by 5, then get trounced at home, and win against a team on a significant downturn who was way overrated.

Yep, cut down the nets.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Seriously, I didn't see too much out of Missouri today that I hadn't seen earlier. But a win's a win, especially on the road.

Long time no talk, pharcyde. :D

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Andrew Lavender is a turnover machine. Pretty good shot when he's about 20' away from the nearest opposing post player, but I think he's been a little overhyped this year so far.
He's been their best player this year...it's a shame that they have to count on him for points instead of dishing out the rock, his strength.

* OU's guards can't penetrate, but they're good shooters. Somewhat of a problem when playing a quick team on the perimeter.
I guess you don't consider Detrick a guard. He's the exact opposite of what you described.

* Speaking of Jabahri Brown, he has the basketball IQ of a mallard duck.
Tell me about it.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Zach</b>!
What the hell? OU is going to drive me to drink. They need to get it together. Is that 3 in a row now Hollis?
Yeah. I would've been happy with 1-2 on that 3-game stretch though...the UConn loss is a given, and it's hard as hell to win at Oklahoma State. I thought we'd beat Mizzou though.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
It was really only a matter of time until OU was exposed. They are just not as talented as in years past. This is not the year to count on Oklahoma doing much in the NCAA tournament. More likely a first round upset victim (though I won't be surprised) than a Sweet Sixteen team.
At this rate there might be an upset...but they won't be seeded high-enough for it to be considered an upset...:sigh:

If Bookout and Alexander (especially Bookout) get healthy, I think they'll be really good next year (Sweet 16, Elite 8) and in 2 years back to the Final Four...8 freshmen and sophomores just won't cut it...it was stupid for people to think they were a top 10 team this year, Kelvin Sampson (before this losing streak) even said they were overrated...

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Right on, Hollis. In two years OU will be extremely tough, like they were last year and the year before.

And I stand corrected on Detrick. But he kind of plays like a forward anyways. :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oklahoma has just played like sh!t the last week or so. They probably won't make the NIT the way they've played. Mizzou is an awful team. They made them look great. Same with the other teams they've played since Princeton really.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
I don't know about Missouri being 'awful'...IMO if they had a coach they'd be a top 5 team in the country. They've got talent out the wazzu...

OU will make the tournament barring any miracles though, IMO. Whether they make it out of the 1st round is another question completely...

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by <b>Hollis</b>!
I don't know about Missouri being 'awful'...IMO if they had a coach they'd be a top 5 team in the country. They've got talent out the wazzu...

OU will make the tournament barring any miracles though, IMO. Whether they make it out of the 1st round is another question completely...
If Mizzou had a point guard they'd be a top 5 team in the country.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NickZepp</b>!
Mizzou is one of the worst teams I've seen OU play this year.
Missouri is better than Oklahoma.

Period.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!

Missouri is better than Oklahoma.

Period.
That's BS. They played better than Oklahoma that day. But they aren't a better team then Oklahoma. And they are 7-7 to prove that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts