Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have never been to a concert, was supposed to go see Atmosphere in Detroit during their paint the nation tour but I got sick and couldn't go. So the question is what hip-hop acts are going on tour here in the first part of 2009? All help would be appreaciated. Thanks!

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
If Nas is anywhere near you, go.

I was supposed to go see Wu Tang next week, but plans fell through, and I may go see Rakim on January 16th. Not sure about that though. I went to see Nas in September, and when he did "Sly Fox," he had the entire place with their middle fingers in the air yelling "**** FOX NEWS!" A lot of negative stuff about Bill O'Rilley, too. Jon Hope opened, and he tore the place down! Simple and plain, dude did an accapella that had everyone going nuts. There was an hour and a half between Hope and Nas, and some wack DJ filled the void. DJ Green Lantern came out, warmed everyone up, and Nas hit the stage.

Here's the clip of when he first his the stage (it was almost mid-night at this point):

He rocked for like two hours or so, pretty cool. It was nothing like the shows he does in NY where he brings out Busta and Jay, he only had Jungle come out for this show. He closed out with One Mic which was dope. The place lost it when he did Made You Look (the place all exploded the second the beat dropped.) He also said, "Man, I smell a lot of motha****in weed!" My clothes smelled like Meth & Red's tour bus for a few days lol. Well worth the price of admission, highly recommened seeing Nas. And even though you probably won't be able to see him live, Jon Hope had great charisma.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is nuts man. Did you film that? The atmosphere looks insane. Nas is definitely on my to see list. Rakim is out on tour? I may have to check that out too. Wu-Tang too. We have this foreign exchange kid at my high school and he wants me to go to a 50 cent concert with him. I'm not a 50 fan, but I think I may check that out. Good lookin out on that B-Easy. Do you have a link to anything about that Rakim tour? Or is that just around your area?

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
That is nuts man. Did you film that? The atmosphere looks insane. Nas is definitely on my to see list. Rakim is out on tour? I may have to check that out too. Wu-Tang too. We have this foreign exchange kid at my high school and he wants me to go to a 50 cent concert with him. I'm not a 50 fan, but I think I may check that out. Good lookin out on that B-Easy. Do you have a link to anything about that Rakim tour? Or is that just around your area?
I didn't film it, I was in the balcony, but yeah, we had to sit through damn near two hours of two dj's: one tried to play 50, Jim Jones and Wayne(he got booed) and other dude was a regge DJ. Everyone was chanting, "We want Nas! We want Nas!" So when he hit the stage, everyone just lost it. Green Lantern got out there first and started playing "Can't Stop Us Now" instrumental, and had the crowd sing the hook. Everyone was pretty quite, and then he said, "Come on, act like ya'll be waiting all night for this!" Then it was a wrap. Also, Nas had a bright *** platinum chain on that night too, **** was blinding lol.

I went to the club (Lupos) website, and they post their schedule, and Rakim was up there so that's how I found out, idk the details though. I recommend a smaller venue, Lupos isn't anything major in size, so the vibe was crazy. Going to a major stadium may take away from the experience, but that's just my view. The smaller places have some sick cards, in the past Lupos has had:

Rakim & Styles P (Jon Hope opened for them)
Wu-Tang
Nas & DJ Green Lantern (Hope opened)
LOX (Tyga opened)
Clipse & Cappadonna (Clipse canceled at the last second though)
Redman, Termanology & Rapper Big Pooh
NERD
Little Brother & Fort Minor

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn that's a pretty good set of concerts for such a small venue. I'll have to start checking stuff out around here. Concerts seem like fun, so I figure I my as well start going to a few. I'll have to get out and see Elzhi, MF Doom, and Atmosphere. Wale if he ever goes on tour too.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
Stay away from MF Doom, dude doesn't show up. He has some guy throw on the Doom mask and lip-sing. Stay away.

And yeah, Providence is a sick city for hip-hop. There is a less-popular place a few minutes away from Lupos,and the week after the Nas show they had a show with Statik Selektah, Termanology, Torae, Granite State (I think) and Jon Hope. Outside of Torae, that's pure New England hip-hop, we support our own up here.

I would assum that Detroit is a stop for Rock The Bells? Boston is, but I couldn't make it there last summer. Rock The Bells always supplies the best of the best. Last summer they had: Nas, Tribe, De La, Mos, Rakim, Ghostface & Raekwon, Meth & Red, Wale, B.o.B., Kidz In The Hall, Cool Kids, Jay Electronica, Dead Prez, Immortal Technique, and a bunch more. Rock The Bells is a must.

Also, Atmosphere has made a few stops in RI, and I've heard good things. They were up here in October, but I was at school (I go to college in Mass) so it didn't work out.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rock The Bells, yeah I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure it stops in Michigan. My only problem is finding someone who will go, since i'm the only one around my area that I know that listens to this stuff (at least out of my friends). Thtas an incredible lineup. Is it a one night thing or a couple day thing?

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
Starts in the day (around noonish) and goes to night time. They have two stages, one for the lesser knowns (B.o.B, Wale, etc.) and then one for the main acts. People pop up out of no where too. I guess Jon Hope was at the one in Boston as a spectator, and apparently Pete Rock came out during the Nas set.

A local station also hosts "Hot Night" at the Dunkin Donuts Center, for the big names. The last one they had was Busta Rhymes, T-Pain and TI (I think) and towards the start of summer last year was Fabolous and Wayne. Snoop was in Worcester (just outside of Boston) over the Summer, too.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Myspace is a good resource from looking at some pages I have. I gotta add more musicians though. Rock the Bells has a myspace too so I added them.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starts in the day (around noonish) and goes to night time. They have two stages, one for the lesser knowns (B.o.B, Wale, etc.) and then one for the main acts. People pop up out of no where too. I guess Jon Hope was at the one in Boston as a spectator, and apparently Pete Rock came out during the Nas set.

A local station also hosts "Hot Night" at the Dunkin Donuts Center, for the big names. The last one they had was Busta Rhymes, T-Pain and TI (I think) and towards the start of summer last year was Fabolous and Wayne. Snoop was in Worcester (just outside of Boston) over the Summer, too.
That sounds crazy. I'll have to get some of my friends up on this hip-hop ish (or the type at Rocke The Bells) so I can get some people to go if it comes through Michigan. That sounds dope as hell.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
Going to see Game on March 20th, should be pretty dope.

I hope Jon Hope opens the show, maybe they'll get someone like Termanology.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds dope. I found this site and I was looking through it and some interesting stuff comes through Michigan this year. I'm going to try to make it out to some of it.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I haven't seen The Roots perform live yet, but I hear they are great. I have had mostly bad experiences with hip-hop shows though. I'm pretty bad about going to shows. Basically everyone comes through Atlanta. lol

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
**** Nas is performing at Eastern Michigan Friday night and I can't go because I have a game. Damnit.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
I've only been to four hip-hop shows: Talib Kweli, Kanye West, and the Roots twice. The Roots were the best show I've seen in my life, and I'm planning on seeing them again in the summer. They are a must see if they still have any tour dates left outside of the Philly/NYC radius.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I will have to check for The Roots. Hopefully they make it out here because from your random music comments threads it sounds like they put on a hell of a show.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A couple of my friends went to that Nas show at Eastern and they said it was crazy. They said Trick Trick, and Royce Da 5'9" opened. Then he told me Royce brought out the entire slaughterhouse crew and they did Move On. Sounds crazy as hell.

And then he told me while waiting to get into the show some dude started making **** up about how he knew Royce Da 5'9". I guess it went something like:

"Yo man you know Royce, Royce Da 5'9" I'm friends with that dude"

"bull****"

"I know, I know but im friends with a guy whos friend grew up with Royce we used to throw rave parties back on the block in '92 and Royce and Em and all them would show up"

Damn man hopefully some other good shows are close soon.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
I hate being a broke college kid. All within the next month at Lupos there is:

Game
Bone Thugs n Harmony (all of the members)
Common & Asher Roth
GZA
KRS-One

The only shows I would be able to make would be Game and GZA.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^^Talking to me or B-Easy?

I'm gonna have to keep checking for shows in the future. Lemme know if there is any good ones up in the Detroit area Ruff.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts