Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have to go 3-1 in the next 4, with us likely losing to denver next Thursday! fridays game vs the jazz is huge if we win for the fact that we only be 1/2 a game back of the jazz and only 2 games away from 500.

its so big if we are serious about playoffs!!! reason I say we lose to Denver is we dont matchup well with them and they will probaly beat our a$$es again!

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Considering

That Portland would probably have to win 3/4 of the rest of its games to make the playoffs, I don't think you can say, win this one or that one. You either win all of them you can or you start counting your lottery balls.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Portland only has to 23-13 the rest of the way to get 45 wins. That's hardly 75%.

And there are no must win games in February. We could be 22-29 at the break and still make the playoffs.

In 1996, we were 26-34 and then went 18-4 the rest of the way to make the playoffs.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Portland only has to 23-13 the rest of the way to get 45 wins. That's hardly 75%.

In 1996, we were 26-34 and then went 18-4 the rest of the way to make the playoffs.
45 wins would leave us 1 short of the playoffs. Right now, Mempis and Houston are on pace to win 46. If the season ended today, we wouldn't hold any tie-breakers vs either Memphis OR Houston, so we'd need 47 wins. That's a 25-10 record, or a 71.4% winning percentage. Not far from 75%.

In 1996, it didn't take 47 wins to get in. 44 or 45 wins won't get us in this year.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Just did the quick math. 75% the rest of the way is 27-9. That would give us a 49-33 record. We HARDLY need to play that well to make the playoffs.
We're 22-25 right now.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Why wouldn't we have the tiebreakers with Houston or Memphis?

We are 2-1 vs Memphis. We are 1-1 vs Houston.

As for current winning percentages determining how many games you have to make the playoffs, that's ridiculous. Teams go up and down. We can't predict that the 8th seed will win 46 games. They might, they might not. 45 wins will probably be good for the 8th seed so that's why I brought it up.

Bottom line, we do NOT have to win 75% of our remaining games to make the playoffs. 67% should be fine.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
IMO magic numer to make the playoffs is 46.

Portland would have to go 24-11 to get there.
I'm not saying it's impossible, just improbable.

Lets put it this way. Portlands recent surge of wins have com against not so great teams, with the exception of the Kings. But heck even the worst team in the lague can surprise the best at times.

Prior to the Sacramento game the team had gone 1W 10L
The one win was to chicago. The subsequent wins have been ...
@Sac (.739pct)
@Was (.298pct)
@Mem (.563)
@Atl (.320pct)
Chi (.280pct)
PHo (.353pct)

only 2 of the 6 wins are agains +.500 teams.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but looking at the rest of the schedule, there are a lot of games against +.500 teams.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Don't forget, Schilly, that the Kings and Grizzlies are not the only good teams we've beaten. We beat the Grizz and Kings TWICE, first of all.

And we are the ONLY TEAM IN THE NBA who has beaten the Lakers, Wolves, Kings, and Pacers.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
I think when your playing catchup for a playoff spot EVERY game is a big game.
True, they're all big games. But, as I mentioned, they should be telling as they're against teams directly in front of the Blazers (as opposed to Eastern teams, or the Kings/Spurs, etc.)

Let's see how they respond.....

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Guys...we are only what 3-4 games back in the win column..in early Febuary..that is NOTHING. All it takes is a nice 7 game win streak and I bet we surpass or tie the teams in front of us. Remember, the teams we are chasing...Memphis,Houston,Denver, really don't have any playoff experience on their rosters...I honestly think it is just a matter of time before we put together a good win streak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.